Thai Citizenship Requirements

To qualify to apply for Thai citizenship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:

He or she must be 18 years old or older and also have reached legal majority in his or her country of origin.

He or she must be of good behavior and background. The following will be checked: criminal record; political background; involvement with illegal drugs and, in the case of Vietnamese applicants, personal behavior.

If working in Thailand, he or she must have an income of at least 80,000 baht a month or have paid taxes in the year the citizenship application is made of 100,000 baht or more.

If living in Thailand for “reasons of humanity” such as being marriage with a Thai people or having a Thai-born child or having graduated from a university in Thailand, he or she must have an income of at least 30,000 baht a month and be able to prove that he or she has paid taxes in Thailand for at least three years.

He or she must have lived in Thailand contunously for at least five years before applying.

The applicant must know the Thai language, including speaking, listening and understand, be able to sing the National Anthem and Sanserm Phra Baramee and pass an interview in Thai with government officers.

Points are awarded to applicants on the following basis: Age and education, 25 points; Occupation, 35 points; Length of residence in Thailand, 10 points; Relationship with Thai people and Thailand, 10 points; Thai language knowledge, 10 points; Personality, 10 points.

Applicants must score a total of at least 50 points in order to qualify for consideration. They must also have two guarantors of their behavior and assets. These guarantors must not be relatives.

Documents applicants must supply are;

Five copies of passport

Five copies of documents verifiying address in Thailand

Five copies of work permit

Five copies of house registration

Five copies of marriage registration (translated into Thai)

Two copies each of ID cards and house registrations of two people who guarantee the applicant’s behavior and assets.

Copy of birth certification, ID card or passport of a wife or husband and children, if any. If the applicant has changed names or surnames, documents relating to these must also be provided.

Documents showing income tax paid over the past three years.

In the case of applicant being a director or partner in a limitewd liability company or partnership, documents verifying that company taxes have been paid for three years.

Two copies each of company or partnership registration, licenses, lists of shareholders, value-added taxes and other related documents of the organization the applicant works at.

Two documents verifying occupation from the organization where he or she works. Salary and position of the applicant must be stated, and the documents must be signed by an authorized person in that organization.

Two documents verifying the applicant’s educational background and those of his or her children, if any.

A document verifying bank accounts, and showing they contain a minimum of 80,000 baht.

A document verifying donations to charity. These should total not less than 5,000 baht and the money must have been donated a long time ago – not just a time to support the citizenship application.

A dozen photographs, 2.5x2.5 inches in size, showing the applicant dressed politely.

A document verifying that the applicant has reaches majority according to the laws in his or her country of origin.

Applicants must present all original documents in person, along with an application fee of 5,000 baht fee. Bangkok-resident applicants should go to the Nationalization Office, Special Branch, Royal Thai Police, the 5th building, Phraram 1 Rd, Kwang Bangmai, Pathumwan Bangkok.

Residents outside Bangkok should apply to the Provincial Police.

Documents will be sent to the relevant authorities for checking. The officers will present those documents to higher ranking officers.

The Interior Minister is the final authority for the decision. There is no exact timetable for consideration – it depends on the length of the checking process.

Last year 48 people applied for Thai nationality. Ten received approval from the Minister of Interior. ”

Thursday, October 28, 2004  Pol Lt Col Somdej Khanthawong, Special Branch, Royal Thai Police, Bangkok 

Heres the link: Thai citizenship requirements

Well, I can sing the national anthem but they might disqualify me after hearing my lovely tone deaf voice mutilate their anthem :o

Just a note, we tried going to our Provincial Police and they knew diddly. Next year we will go to Bangkok and talk to the Special Branch Police, perhaps they have some suggestions.

This document failed to clarify that you need to stay here five years under Permanent Residency status.YOU CAN'T QUALIFY DIRECTLY TO CITIZENSHIP BEFORE BEING A PR.  :o

Unless you're a foreign woman married to a Thai, when an automatic entitlement to Thai nationality exists without having to serve a period of residency.

how does one become a permanent resident? if you are married to a thai, what visa should you get for PR?

You have to have had 3 consecutive years of one year permits (not visas) with no break. You can then apply for PR although even if you fit the criteria you are not guaranteed to get it.

Scouse.

This document failed to clarify that you need to stay here five years under Permanent Residency status.YOU CAN'T QUALIFY DIRECTLY TO CITIZENSHIP BEFORE BEING A PR.  :o

Unless you're a foreign woman married to a Thai, when an automatic entitlement to Thai nationality exists without having to serve a period of residency.

that seems a bit one sided, but if true, good for you sbk!

The post is copy of the info on the MFA site, and there is NO mention of the

residency requirement!!

See the other posts on the whole residence/citizenship subject

and do not hold your breath!!

There does not seem to be a hard-and-fast rule requiring PR for at least 5 years. I have been a continuous "resident" of Thailand (under one-year visas and with a work permit) for 15 years, but have had PR status only since 2002. Special Branch was happy to accept my citizenship application, no problems. You all will be the first to know if I'm approved.

Pvtdick, you live in Bangkok? My problem has been I don't live in Bangkok and the local special branch are clueless.

Also, we don't really meet the income tax reporting requirements, we had no idea that I could even get citizenship so we have always ummm... how shall I say? underreported our income?

And as far as the "automatic entitlement", well, the other requirements are still there, according the Special branch guy in Bangkok, my husband still has to show the income tax requirement, I just don't need the PR status.

Doesn't matter anyway because the local police aren't able to process my application!!! :o

There does not seem to be a hard-and-fast rule requiring PR for at least 5 years. I have been a continuous "resident" of Thailand (under one-year visas and with a work permit) for 15 years, but have had PR status only since 2002. Special Branch was happy to accept my citizenship application, no problems. You all will be the first to know if I'm approved.

There is no written requirement of how many years you need after the PR.But usually the immigration want you to be on PR status at least for 4 or 5 years in order to be succeed in getting the citizenship.

PvtDick - just got my PR and went to the Vadhana to get my name in the Tabien Baan.

The big boss there told me I should apply for citizenship - and that I should register my marriage (with my thai wife here). We're only married abroad, because of the property issues regarding my wife being married to a foreigner.

Question: Does it help to be married locally to get the citizenship?

And: Does a thai wife still lose the property rights when being married to a foreigner?

Tks! -

PvtDick - just got my PR and went to the Vadhana to get my name in the Tabien Baan.

The big boss there told me I should apply for citizenship - and that I should register my marriage (with my thai wife here). We're only married abroad, because of the property issues regarding my wife being married to a foreigner.

And: Does a thai wife still lose the property rights when being married to a foreigner?

Tks! -

Sorry, Danone...I have no idea. I'm not married, but the Special Branch officer said he saw no reason why I shouldn't be granted citizenship. It might help, though, if they feel you're a borderline case. As for loss of property ownership rights, your wife would definitely lose such until your Thai citizenship is approved. After that, I suppose she might be able to get the right back by changing the marriage certificate to reflect your new Thai name and new Thai nationality. Only conjecture on my part, though.

The law has been changed more than 10 years ago. A Thai wife of a foreigner can now hold or purchase land without any problems.

But the foreign husband has to sign a paper stating that he will not have any claims to this property in case of death / divorce and that the funds to purchase the property are provided entirely by the Thai wife.

opalhort

... A Thai wife of a foreigner can now hold or purchase land without any problems.

But the foreign husband has to sign a paper stating that he will not have any claims to this property in case of death  / divorce and that the funds to purchase the property are provided entirely by the Thai wife.

opalhort

I can confirm this is true as we purchased a townhouse last month. Registered in wife's name (my surname) and I signed a document that I had no claim. The document was in Thai and they never asked if I understood what I was signing.

TH

George, from your link:

The Thai Immigration Bureau has recently (october 2003) announced quotas for all expatriates applying for residence permits at 100 persons per nationality. All foreigners may qualify to apply for a residence permit if he/she

1. Holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a Non-Immigrant visa and the individual has been permitted to stay in Thailand for at least 3 consecutive years on a 1-year visa extension basis up to the application submission date.

2. Has personal qualifications that meet one or more of the following categories:

1) Investment category (minumum 3 - 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)....

How can you have a "minimum of 3 to 10 million Baht"? A minimum is a minimum. It cannot be a range. :o

...How can you have a "minimum of 3 to 10 million Baht"? A minimum is a minimum. It cannot be a range.  :D

As I recall, a person by himself has a certain minimum. If he's married the minimum amount is increased and again if there is(are) a child(ren) , the minimum is increased further. I've seen it posted a couple of months back but don't have the post reference handy right now. :o

...How can you have a "minimum of 3 to 10 million Baht"? A minimum is a minimum. It cannot be a range.  :D

As I recall, a person by himself has a certain minimum. If he's married the minimum amount is increased and again if there is(are) a child(ren) , the minimum is increased further. I've seen it posted couple of months back but don't have the post reference handy right now. :o

Oh, OK. So different categories have different minimums (minima?). But 10 mil. is a bit steep! 3 mil.? Hmm, maybe!

SBK,

what are the basic requirements your husband has to prove so that you can remain in the country. I am thinking ahead a couple of years down the track when my wife (NZ'er) and I (OZ/Thai) may move back to Thailand for work.

Thanks

Samran

Tks! -

Sorry, Danone...I have no idea. I'm not married, but the Special Branch officer said he saw no reason why I shouldn't be granted citizenship. It might help, though, if they feel you're a borderline case. As for loss of property ownership rights, your wife would definitely lose such until your Thai citizenship is approved. After that, I suppose she might be able to get the right back by changing the marriage certificate to reflect your new Thai name and new Thai nationality. Only conjecture on my part, though.

Thai women now maintain their rights to own property if married to a foreigner. I believe the legislation guaranteeing this right -- based on the 1997 Thai constitution -- was issued in 1999. I think there's at least one thread on the forum discussing this issue.

The land offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are aware of the new law, and will issue titles to Thai women married to foreigners (or at least that's been the case with us and a few of our friends in Thai-foreign marriages), but I've heard of other districts where they're oblivious to the change and it's difficult to get local officers to recognise the latest legal requirements.

Samran, we don't have an income requirement or even a show money in the bank requirement but our immigration office still asks for photocopies of our bank book just to make sure we do have some money.

Non-imm visa

Marriage license

photocopies of my passport, all relevant pages

Business license (my husband owns his own business)

Letter from our PuYaiBahn stating that we are a married couple living together

2 photos

application and fee

umm.. think that's it. This is for a one year extension of a non-imm visa. If I think of anything more I'll let you know. And feel free to PM me when you two are ready.

Samran, we don't have an income requirement or even a show money in the bank requirement but our immigration office still asks for photocopies of our bank book just to make sure we do have some money.

Non-imm visa

Marriage license

photocopies of my passport, all relevant pages

Business license (my husband owns his own business)

Letter from our PuYaiBahn stating that we are a married couple living together

2 photos

application and fee

umm.. think that's it. This is for a one year extension of a non-imm visa. If I think of anything more I'll let you know. And feel free to PM me when you two are ready.

sbk,how long does it take for you to get your 1 year stamp?do u get monthly stamps first?or just get the 1 year stamp on the first visit?

Don't I wish.

It usually takes about 3 months which entails a monthly stamp. And I, foolishly, arrived in Thailand (all those years ago) at the beginning of the rainy season so my monthly trips back to Samui often entail scary boat rides in big seas.

I forgot to add we still have to do that little interview at Immigration.

Don't I wish.

It usually takes about 3 months which entails a monthly stamp. And I, foolishly, arrived in Thailand (all those years ago) at the beginning of the rainy season so my monthly trips back to Samui often entail scary boat rides in big seas.

I forgot to add we still have to do that little interview at Immigration.

I never understand why do they need these many months in finally granting long term stay which is left just 8 or 9 months.<deleted>.cking pain in the arse,these monthly stamps.I don't think they must take more than 1 month in order to checking and granting long term stay.What do they have to consider for months?I never understood

No problem samran, basically, the financial requirements are minimum. You do have a thai passport right? As long as you are legally allowed to work in Thailand you can show that you are "taking care" of your wife.

SAS, me too. Big pain in the bum for me as I have to take the boat to Samui each time, sometimes the weather is terrible and the waves are huge. Last year on one month I couldn't make it on the day because the boats to Samui had stopped running.

Also can't figure out why I have to submit our marriage license and business license each time. Don't they still have copies of that from last year???

No problem samran, basically, the financial requirements are minimum. You do have a thai passport right? As long as you are legally allowed to work in Thailand you can show that you are "taking care" of your wife.

SAS, me too. Big pain in the bum for me as I have to take the boat to Samui each time, sometimes the weather is terrible and the waves are huge. Last year on one month I couldn't make it on the day because the boats to Samui had stopped running.

Also can't figure out why I have to submit our marriage license and business license each time. Don't they still have copies of that from last year???

I think Thailand is the kind of country which doesn't give any honour to the spouses of it's own citizens.They got absolutely no right in the eyes of government.But it's not strange though considering they don't even care about their own citizens.About the marriage and business copies,they do have them from the previous time but they will keep requiring it until you get thai citizenship.Wht a non sense it is !