Down Under Restaurant Breakfast Rip-off.

Thaihog

Today I experienced the biggest rip-off in CM for a cooked breakfast. The offending place was the Down Under on Nimanhiemen Road. The menu listed an Aussie Big Breakfast at 150 baht so I was expecting something special, imagine my surprise when 20 mins later my breakfast arrived comprising of 2 tiny thai sausages, 2 fried eggs, bacon and a fried tomato with tea and toast. Anywhere else in CM this would have been 80 or 90 baht.

Apart from the Queen Vic and the Mad Dog can anyone recommend where to get a decent fry up?

cheers.

Today I experienced the biggest rip-off in CM for a cooked breakfast. The offending place was the Down Under on Nimanhiemen Road. The menu listed an Aussie Big Breakfast at 150 baht so I was expecting something special, imagine my surprise when 20 mins later my breakfast arrived comprising of 2 tiny thai sausages, 2 fried eggs, bacon and a fried tomato with tea and toast. Anywhere else in CM this would have been 80 or 90 baht.

Apart from the Queen Vic and the Mad Dog can anyone recommend where to get a decent fry up?

cheers.

Perhaps you could add the Hungry Horse to your "shortlist" it has the same management as the Queen Vic.

Never had breakfast at the QV but do concur on the breakfast at the Mad Dog.

Whilst on the subject of the Down Under I might add a couple of further observations.

Went there with a couple of friends a short time back.

The waitress could not tell us what the fish of the day was so I sent her to find out. She toddled off and came back and said it was "sweet lip" God only knows what that is, but it is certainly not cod as used by Queen Vic, O,Malleys and any other place claiming to be a decent restaurant serving western fare.

Result was I chose a burger (will come back to the burger later)

Whilst waiting for the food I ordered a beer "and as you do" I told the waitress (same girl) to be sure it was cold. She asked if I wanted ice. I said no! COLD BEER please. The beer arrived a bit colder than room temperature so I ordered the ice (which I later found that I was charged 25 baht for)

Got the first beer inside me and ordered a second same as before, "COLD BEER" please.

Maybe she didn't understand because the second beer came like they had put it in the microwave (well at least room temperature anyway)

Another criticism, or word of warning to anyone visiting the joint is regarding the chairs.

BEWARE!! when sitting down and pulling the chair forward under you because the wooden rail on the front has razor edges and it is just at the right height to slide down the back of your ankle as it did and took bark off both my ankles (as it also did to my friend sitting opposite)

Summary: Not a really great dining experience. I put the problems down to management (management after all is responsible for everything) particularly as it would seem that the only instruction to the waiting staff appears to be "here's your pinny and there is the dining room"

My friend incidentally had a rather forgetable meal also.

Ah! yes back to the burger. I don't know if it was sheer luck but it was one of the best burgers that I have had in Chiangmai. Guess that they have to get something right (at least some of the time):o

Edited by john b good

My favorite English style breakfast is at the Laughing Leprechan near John's Place and Cozy Corner about a 1/2 block from Thapae Gate..

REALLY huge with 3 eggs, sausage, Brit bacon, lots of fried potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, good coffee, home baked bread, etc.

Very pleasant host. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

> Never had breakfast at the QV

Try it sometimes.. :o The absolute hardest thing to do there is finding something on the menu that ISNT huge. (The cheese-garlic bread or some soup (both around 45 baht) is the only thing that isn't. For anything else you need to bring an appetite and park the diet outside. :D

Perhaps you could add the Hungry Horse to your "shortlist" it has the same management as the Queen Vic.

Never had breakfast at the QV but do concur on the breakfast at the Mad Dog.

Whilst on the subject of the Down Under I might add a couple of further observations.

Went there with a couple of friends a short time back.

The waitress could not tell us what the fish of the day was so I sent her to find out. She toddled off and came back and said it was "sweet lip" God only knows what that is, but it is certainly not cod as used by Queen Vic, O,Malleys and any other place claiming to be a decent restaurant serving western fare.

Result was I chose a burger (will come back to the burger later)

Whilst waiting for the food I ordered a beer "and as you do" I told the waitress (same girl) to be sure it was cold. She asked if I wanted ice. I said no! COLD BEER please. The beer arrived a bit colder than room temperature so I ordered the ice (which I later found that I was charged 25 baht for)

Got the first beer inside me and ordered a second same as before, "COLD BEER" please.

Maybe she didn't understand because the second beer came like they had put it in the microwave (well at least room temperature anyway)

Another criticism, or word of warning to anyone visiting the joint is regarding the chairs.

BEWARE!! when sitting down and pulling the chair forward under you because the wooden rail on the front has razor edges and it is just at the right height to slide down the back of your ankle as it did and took bark off both my ankles (as it also did to my friend sitting opposite)

Summary: Not a really great dining experience. I put the problems down to management (management after all is responsible for everything) particularly as it would seem that the only instruction to the waiting staff appears to be "here's your pinny and there is the dining room"

My friend incidentally had a rather forgetable meal also.

Ah! yes back to the burger. I don't know if it was sheer luck but it was one of the best burgers that I have had in Chiangmai. Guess that they have to get something right (at least some of the time):o

If it was real sweetlip (or Emperor), the fish is quite delicious. see http:/www.thaifishguide.com/ for pic and description. Often other fish are substituted for sweetlip (eg mullet, which does not compare at all IMHO).

We tried the Downunder once for dinner...mainly for the upstairs breeze. Verdict: bland Thai food did not warrant price. We felt we were paying for the underemployed wait staff to scrutinize our every mouthful: very uncomfortable. Then there were the loud big-screens, and staff soliciting customers in the street...always a big turn off.

To add to the Big List: Other good and hearty falang breakfast options include Pun Pun Guest House and Daret's Guest House (no I am not a share-holder!).

I have visited Down Under on three occasions for an evening meal with friends and relations. On each occasion we had a good food beautifully cooked, their steak is the best in town and they have a good selection of Australian wine.

I am told by the management that thy employ Uni students as waitresses to help them with their English language skills, so a little patience is required.

I other respects we think the staff are happy and friendly, we will in future be regular visitors to the restaurant - especially to watch the rugby.