Anyone Else Hit With Nasty Gastro/flu Bug?

english_farang_lady

The whole family has been struck down, one after the other, (starting with number one son), with this really awful gastro/sick/diahr/flu/cold bug.

Just wondering if it is running rife elsewhere in Pattaya, and how long it lasts. Almost landed in hospital again with a high fever.

What did you all do to recover quickly? It seems to be a bug that comes back just as you think it is going. Altogether a nasty piece of work.

Also want to share about a fantastic new (I think) pharmacy shop in Pattaya. On north road, just before Tesco/Lotus on the other side of the road. Called "Fascino" a really huge shop, with all kinds of medical gear, and some UK brand meds too.

Yep, we got it too, and also our friends who we hardly see got it.. Must be going around Pattaya... Im just recovering, feeling lots better today. Get some AMOXYCILLIN , 500MG .....My mum recovered in a day when she took these..

P.s , Just noticed your ID 'english farang lady' .. I am an english girl, here with my english Mum :o

Edited by Meg_ken2003

Could consulting a doctor rather than self-prescribing be a more sensible option...? :o

Thats very good advice Noel , i was self prescribing for my self ( thinking i had the flu ) nearly killed my self ,as i had some form of malaria , this is not the U K , go straight to a hospital ,

Yep we all had it here :o

Takes 14 days to get better if you treat it with medication or 2 weeks if you leave it alone, mine then turned into a nasty cough.

So if time is an issue, which option would you recommend...? :D

So; the symptoms are sickness/diarrhea/fever: it sounds like a virus. Antibiotics are useless, the illness must run its course, whilst fever can be controlled with paracetamol and vomitting and diarrhea can be cured by a 72 hour solid food fast.

Liquids should be continued, usually sipping warm boiled water is possible.

Hope this helps.

In BKK

Entering 2nd week

Runs began today, all other symptoms gone, other than cough.

Cough has now changed to dry hack

Lethergy all day, the norm.

(was in the hospital with Chicken pox (2nd time) 4 weeks ago)

A word to the wise.

A couple of months ago On (the wife) was rather poorly and she self treated, started to feel a little better for a few days and then it attacked her again. Only it wasn't the same thing, late one Sunday I took her to the hospital as she was having trouble breathing. They put her on Ox immediately and she was diagnosed a few hours later (after a fast ambulance dash to the bigger hospital in Buriram) with Pneumonia.

"Pneumonia in Thailand?"

It happens more frequently than some may think, once your immune system is busy working on one foe, it is open to attack from others (and On has a thyroid problem, quite common here, and that affects the immune system too)

The doctors in Buriram told us that if we hadn't brought her to hospital when we did, there was a good chance I would be a widower.

If something comes back to have a second go at you.... don't assume it's the same thing.... get medical help.

In BKK

Entering 2nd week

Runs began today, all other symptoms gone, other than cough.

Cough has now changed to dry hack

Lethergy all day, the norm.

(was in the hospital with Chicken pox (2nd time) 4 weeks ago)

A word to the wise.

A couple of months ago On (the wife) was rather poorly and she self treated, started to feel a little better for a few days and then it attacked her again. Only it wasn't the same thing, late one Sunday I took her to the hospital as she was having trouble breathing. They put her on Ox immediately and she was diagnosed a few hours later (after a fast ambulance dash to the bigger hospital in Buriram) with Pneumonia.

"Pneumonia in Thailand?"

It happens more frequently than some may think, once your immune system is busy working on one foe, it is open to attack from others (and On has a thyroid problem, quite common here, and that affects the immune system too)

The doctors in Buriram told us that if we hadn't brought her to hospital when we did, there was a good chance I would be a widower.

If something comes back to have a second go at you.... don't assume it's the same thing.... get medical help.

Well, I don't have a fever this time, so I'm not overly worried. It's only when I get a fever that I generally hit up a doctor. The day I decided to hit the hospital, my fever had hit 101.4 the first time I checked it, and by the time I got to Bumrungrad, it was up to 101.6

I have it now and feel like crap.

Saw Doctor Oliver here in Pattaya and was told it is going around and the only thing is to let it run the course.

Everyone else in my family also had it , think my son brought it back with him from school the way kids cough all over each other

Yep, we got it too, and also our friends who we hardly see got it.. Must be going around Pattaya... Im just recovering, feeling lots better today. Get some AMOXYCILLIN , 500MG .....My mum recovered in a day when she took these..

P.s , Just noticed your ID 'english farang lady' .. I am an english girl, here with my english Mum :o

Hi Meg

Hope you are lots better by now, but seems this bug takes a long time to completely go. Amoxycillin is an antibiotic, and antibiotics are not effective against viruses. In fact, I was reading that over-subscription of antibiotics is reducing their efficiency at helping with the really nasty bacterial problems we encounter.

I think this kind of bug is spread so easily now because people do not seem to cover their mouth/nose when sneezing or coughing. Thus water droplet inhalation is how these little monsters get spread around.

Thailand can be rather a culture shock after the UK - wonder if you like it here?

With best wishes to you and mum.

Hi Meg

Hope you are lots better by now, but seems this bug takes a long time to completely go. Amoxycillin is an antibiotic, and antibiotics are not effective against viruses. In fact, I was reading that over-subscription of antibiotics is reducing their efficiency at helping with the really nasty bacterial problems we encounter.

I think this kind of bug is spread so easily now because people do not seem to cover their mouth/nose when sneezing or coughing. Thus water droplet inhalation is how these little monsters get spread around.

Thailand can be rather a culture shock after the UK - wonder if you like it here?

With best wishes to you and mum.

Thankyou sweetie,

Hope you are starting to feel better, I thought mine was gone, but still got a very runny nose. Im not taking any more antibiotics as they make me feel very weak..

Me and Mum have been here for almost 6 years now, and we love it here :o (Much better than Blackpool!!! Thats where we are from)

Edited by Meg_ken2003