Visa

I have a research engineer from Indonesia that just arrived and I've been assigned as his supervisor and instructor (he's here for training - 3 months). He needs to open a bank account and does not have a work permit. I looked at his passport and his visa shows NON-F, what class is that? Will that visa be enough or will he also need the letter from the agency that sent him here to open an account? The university has a small branch of SCB which would be convenient for him.

Just want to be sure what documents he should gather before going.

- to perform official duties (Category "F")

He has a non immigrant visa and should be able to open an account but many (most?) now also require a certificate of residence (someone says where you live) and that is normally available from the persons Embassy. But he can try without it first.

Thanks lopburi3 for the info. Will give it a go tomorrow and maybe my credentials as university staff will help. Hate to think he would have to go to Bangkok for a letter. Will also have him take the letter from the International agency that is sponsoring his fellowship with us just in case.