thai-english teacher

Hi, i'm new to the forum so please go easy on me....smile.png

i have family in the isan region of thailand, Kalasin. I'm looking for a thai-english teacher, preferably of thai nationality (english fine). it is to teach my Thai family members 'better' english. I have looked online but only seem to see document translation or teaching advice for expats. I would be looking to hire for a few hours each week, preferably on weekends for the younger members. So to the question at hand... Can someone point me towards an thai-english teacher in the northeast who would be willing to travel to Kalasin for a few hours each weekend?

i think i have mentioned everything needed.

thanks again,

chrisiom

I think you would be better off with a farang teacher who also speaks Thai. Most Thai English speakers do not speak very good English.

. .

Mr. CGphuket seems to be damn right to better look for an experienced foreigner who can speak Thai, but only to explain vocabulary, not whole sentences in Thai. Simultaneous translations do not work, which various researches in the past have shown.

The Thai sentence structure is completely different and translating whole sentences into Thai and vice versa is wasted time.

The teacher for your family has to have a healthy experience, otherwise they won't learn anything. Thais never say that they didn't understand something.

Best of luck finding the right teacher for your family. wai2.gif

First welcome to TV...

YES, some but not all can be salty here... A suggestion: You may want to consider an English Major student, weekend work.. your in Kalasin, some local university have open up in your area. Interview the prospective student teacher, assess the English speaking ability... then go from there.. just a suggestion.

Cheers Mate.coffee1.gif

First welcome to TV...

YES, some but not all can be salty here... A suggestion: You may want to consider an English Major student, weekend work.. your in Kalasin, some local university have open up in your area. Interview the prospective student teacher, assess the English speaking ability... then go from there.. just a suggestion.

Cheers Mate.coffee1.gif

Sorry, mate. But ALL the English Major Students I've met over the last year couldn't even speak easy English. So we had our conversation in Thai.

We had three of them at my school the whole second term. They had to make a test for grade two kids. Holy shit. They even top some other Asian teachers in not knowing how to speak and write in English.

Sorry, no discrimination, but you would think that the quality had gotten better, But no.

Forget about getting a Thai, the Thais will just naturally speak to them in Thai, and their brain will be in Thai mode the whole time.

Get a non-Thai.

It should be somebody who's also thinking in English and not scared to say something wrong.

Adults with little English background, may well do better with a Thai person or at least a good Thai speaker as a teacher. It's harder for adults to move from one language to the other without a translation process going on in their mind, at least early on in the learning process.

It's true that a lot of English majors are not proficient, but as more and more students have been exposed to English, you may find one that is actually quite proficient. Some of these students are mixed race and have had significant exposure to English. Of course, you will probably have to interview quite a few first. You will probably have to set some ground rules about the use of Thai in the teaching sessions.

• 5 months later...

Find the Christian church groups in kalasin and enquire there. Many of the thai and US kalasin residents speak English and may want the extra income.  But not on a Sunday.  They have good understanding of English to a level you may not have come across in kalasin. Good luck.

Archived