397 people died in road accidents during April 11-16

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't stop people from dying....but we can stop ourselves from dying in a certain way.

So during this time, NEVER GET IN A CAR and avoid places where a car has good odds of hitting you.

simple.

now you won't be this statistic. or odds much, much, much lower...

Finally someone who gets it smile.png

I have avoided Songran like the plague for more than 20 years by staying home - I love it!

So what most of you have learned (I already knew it) is that people die everyday in every country...

And how they choose to exit the game is entirely up to them and is none of your business...

Focus upon your own life experience and stop being so negative and judging other people and you'll be happier I promise thumbsup.gif

...and this is you giving an example of it?

Didn't I read somewhere there was going to be a "massive" police presence on the roads to diminish the typical road carnage? Another example of ....

Yup..your eyesight still good but rarely what is put in print is acted upon. In other words if Thailand was a hot air baloon it would rise forever because it os always full of hot and spicy air.

We can't stop people from dying....but we can stop ourselves from dying in a certain way.

So during this time, NEVER GET IN A CAR and avoid places where a car has good odds of hitting you.

simple.

now you won't be this statistic. or odds much, much, much lower...

Finally someone who gets it smile.png

I have avoided Songran like the plague for more than 20 years by staying home - I love it!

So what most of you have learned (I already knew it) is that people die everyday in every country...

And how they choose to exit the game is entirely up to them and is none of your business...

Focus upon your own life experience and stop being so negative and judging other people and you'll be happier I promise thumbsup.gif

...and this is you giving an example of it?

Have to agree with you on this one.

He contradicted himself.

Congrats Thailand, you are on the best way to become NUMBER ONE in the world for road accidents and following deaths

how is that?

1. Libya 73.4

2. Thailand 36.2

3. Malawi 35.0

4. Liberia 33.7

5. DR Congo 33.2

6. Tanzania 32.9

7. Central African Republic 32.4

8. Iran / Rwanda 32.1

9. Mozambique 31.6

10. Togo / Sao Tome & Principe 31.1

*WHO Global Status Report on Road Safety 2015

Well, 397 deaths from 11th - 16th, plus the toll from the 17th, plus today, plus tomorrow, the 19th when Pattaya finishes contributing to the carnage, plus those who die in hospital as a result of this year's fun loving event; the final toll could be well over 1,000. Whatever is discussed on this forum, the sure thing is that next year it will all happen again.

On Friday 15th I caught a taxi from Ramkhamhaeng to Suvarnabhumi about mid-day. Told the gf to tell the macho driver (with his gaucho moustache and 500g chunky silver necklace and matching bracelet - got the picture?) I was not in a hurry so no need to rush. Not much traffic about on the highway so he got me there after a heart-stopping trip where he drove most of the way at just under 140kmh and switched between lanes 1 and 4 about 50 times. Only slowed down for the hump prior to entering Departures. Not a policeman in sight the whole trip. Either no one is listening to the messages or there is no filter in between the ears of Thai drivers. I suspect the latter.

On Friday 15th I caught a taxi from Ramkhamhaeng to Suvarnabhumi about mid-day. Told the gf to tell the macho driver (with his gaucho moustache and 500g chunky silver necklace and matching bracelet - got the picture?) I was not in a hurry so no need to rush. Not much traffic about on the highway so he got me there after a heart-stopping trip where he drove most of the way at just under 140kmh and switched between lanes 1 and 4 about 50 times. Only slowed down for the hump prior to entering Departures. Not a policeman in sight the whole trip. Either no one is listening to the messages or there is no filter in between the ears of Thai drivers. I suspect the latter.

Similar thing happened to us going home on Rama II by taxi to a small village 10Km after Samut Sakhon.

I had the driver pull into FoodLand, paid him and got a different taxi.

The driver was furious and my wife was worried that I might become another type of "Statistic".

Having an iPad set to Video maybe helped?

I suppose, that if relatively uneducated, and poorly trained people are allowed such easy access to the means of inflicting mass destruction and carnage upon each other, the results will always be the same.

othe means to inflict self harm

I suppose, that if relatively uneducated, and poorly trained people are allowed such easy access to the means of inflicting mass destruction and carnage upon each other, the results will always be the same.

and this type of comment helps you feel superior to the people of Thailand?

Why feed the Troll?

When it comes to driving, only Namibians can't feel superior to Thailand.

Motorcycles again over 80%

How many of those fatalities are from motorcycles

Id love to see yearly figures.

I think the motorcycle thing does skew Thailands road fatality figures

skew ? ? ? ... uthai ....ehhhh..... what is it you are failing to understand ? motocy death does not count ? are the motocy people not dead in your mind ? what about suv's ? truck's ? pedestrians being at wrong place wrong time ? you would LOVE to see how many people died over the years on motocy's ? LOVE ? good god man talk less or choose your words with more care , you come across as a pompas ex cia , special forces , black op's commander that has been here way to long .

Oh...My....God

Was just wondering how Thailand would rank with other forms of transport that arent motorcycles

How do you go from that to motorsy people arent dead in my mind or the crzay black ops thing

Seriously

I don't blame the authorities. Laws and rules and fines and even jail time won't fix this. The society needs to come to the realization that they engage in unsafe driving practices. When I see everyone using seat belts and child safety seats and nobody riding down the highway in the back of the family pickup then things will have changed. I don't think laws made the difference in Europe and North America. Social pressure did it. It's the same for drinking and driving. Much of Europe is far ahead of the US, but norms are starting to change there too. Here drinking and driving is still a sport. One of the guys here said he doesn't buy car insurance since it won't cover him. He drinks all day everyday.

BTW - The motorcycle thing is totally out of control here. Driving feels like a video game sometimes.

Edited by texan1800

Bear in mind these are only the numbers who died at the scene,one wonders how many you could add,that died later in hospital.

yes they who die once they have left the scene dont count.

number's to the 16th so another day to add to.

Where did you receive the criteria for determining statistics?

This has long been the understanding, suppose you have just arrived ? rolleyes.gif

Bear in mind these are only the numbers who died at the scene,one wonders how many you could add,that died later in hospital.

yes they who die once they have left the scene dont count.

number's to the 16th so another day to add to.

Where did you receive the criteria for determining statistics?

This has long been the understanding, suppose you have just arrived ? rolleyes.gif

"This has long been the understanding" - i'd say you haven't read any of the information - particularly W.H.O. on how stats are analysed before being published......I doubt if you even considered who published them?

Edited by cumgranosalum