Chiangmai Water Park

LawrenceChee

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a home means legal title deeds ,

No, a home is a place where immigration can't tell you to leave.

In the west, only your wife can make you leave your home.

"Only your wife can make you leave your home" HaHa!!!!!!!! My wife was pi$ssing me off ------so I sold up and left her--------- Is this what you mean ??????????????????

Grand Canyon is a beautiful place though. At least it was the day I went.

Chiang%2BMai%2BTrip%2B2016%2B-%2B7.jpg

Chiang%2BMai%2BTrip%2B2016%2B-%2B10.jpg

Chiang%2BMai%2BTrip%2B2016%2B-%2B9.jpg

Interesting photos, but in view of the swimming ability in these parts, there could possibly be some safety lines, escape routes, life jackets.

Looks like one slip and you're gone!! It happens at waterfalls here often enough.

Personally I find the lack of safety nets, railing and handholding very refreshing. I say let people be responsible for their own actions.

Yes. if someone ends up in the water for a swim, they better be a strong swimmer and not someone easily panicked. There are very few places someone can get themselves out of the water. Not everyone thinks this thru before they take a leap into those nice inviting waters.

Not everyone thinks this thru before they take a leap into those nice inviting waters.

Darwinism at work..

If your a weak swimmer.. And will jump off a cliff into a place with no visible exit.. Perhaps its better your not in the gene pool.

The United States has some 16,000km of ocean frontage. Add to that perhaps 150,000km (+/- another 150,000km) of river bank, creek bank, lake side, pond edge, and old quarries filled with water. That's a LOT of placed for people to go swimming... and less than 1% of it is patrolled by lifeguards, ropes, floats, or otherwise protected. People drown every day. And THIS is in the Nanny State/Protected environment called America. And it's the same in Europe, the UK, South America, etc., etc.,

Yet you rarely hear anyone saying 'America needs to improve its safety standards...' 'How many have to die before something is done to protect the tourists from this insanity?' 'Keep your children away from the water!'

Why are Westerners in Thailand so different?

As an aside, I've been to the Vana Nava water park in Hua Hin and it's really good.

It's also the first water park I've ever been to, so take this for what it's worth.

But some really spectacular attractions there.

Well I have seen two waterparks in Canada. This one makes them look like a

putting green compared to a PGA golf course.

Grand Canyon is a beautiful place though. At least it was the day I went.

Chiang%2BMai%2BTrip%2B2016%2B-%2B7.jpg

Chiang%2BMai%2BTrip%2B2016%2B-%2B10.jpg

Chiang%2BMai%2BTrip%2B2016%2B-%2B9.jpg

Interesting photos, but in view of the swimming ability in these parts, there could possibly be some safety lines, escape routes, life jackets.

Looks like one slip and you're gone!! It happens at waterfalls here often enough.

Personally I find the lack of safety nets, railing and handholding very refreshing. I say let people be responsible for their own actions.

Yes. if someone ends up in the water for a swim, they better be a strong swimmer and not someone easily panicked. There are very few places someone can get themselves out of the water. Not everyone thinks this thru before they take a leap into those nice inviting waters.

This is near where I live and I went by about 10 or 11 am this morning.. Already swimmers in the water and people around..

At the same time there was a charity bodysnatcher pickup in the car park and another one with a Thai guy putting on Scuba gear.. I came back past at midday or 1, peak time on a saturday and there was no one swimming and empty car parking area..

I am not trying to say 2+ 2 = 4.. and because its run by the Khamnan its not like we will see things in the press.. but it was, to say the least.. Odd..

Grand Canyon is the place where all the drownings happen.

I predict trouble, dead Chinese, dead Koreans, dead children.

Maybe they should add a zip line, it would at least vary the cause of deaths.

Or you could just stay home in your safety net of cotton wool and do nothing.

Or you could just stay home in your safety net of cotton wool and do nothing.

Right. Actually it looks like a lot of fun. I've never been, but would like to go. Just use common sense......if you have kids, bring inflatable rings, life vests, etc. If you are an adult who is not a good swimmer, do similar. Or go with a group of people which include 1 or 2 good swimmers, bring rope, etc., stay together and keep an eye on each other. Rather simple, really. If you or your kids CAN'T swim, probably this is not the best place for you. Again, use common sense.

If you want to approach things with Western sensibilities, which I do as that's what I know, and you have kids teach them to swim as most likely your parents had you do. My two young Thai boys didnt have running water in thier early life and bathed in a river but still couldn't swim. I took them to a pool a taught them and we went swimming in the Grand Canyon once whe they were still pre-teens they had a great time jumping in and swimming around. Not dangerous if you mitigate the danger but being sensible, so I agree it's common sense.

If you want to approach things with Western sensibilities, which I do as that's what I know, and you have kids teach them to swim as most likely your parents had you do. My two young Thai boys didnt have running water in thier early life and bathed in a river but still couldn't swim. I took them to a pool a taught them and we went swimming in the Grand Canyon once whe they were still pre-teens they had a great time jumping in and swimming around. Not dangerous if you mitigate the danger but being sensible, so I agree it's common sense.

Some people knock the Western sensibility concept, but it does impart (sometimes) that common sense factor.

Learning to swim is a great skill to have, it's fun and can possibly save your life or others. Good on you for teaching those kids how to swim.

As an aside, I've been to the Vana Nava water park in Hua Hin and it's really good.

It's also the first water park I've ever been to, so take this for what it's worth.

Wonderful. I'd like to go there if they do not charge "Farang Price".

In the Hot season a similar facility would be welcome, in Chiang Mai.

Vana Nava is expensive - it's 1,200 per person except for smal kids but then small kids are not allowed on any of the big slides so it's not worth it for them.

Enjoyed a day there, some thoughts

- expensive but worth it

- awesome slides

- scary slides (even more awesome)

- high level of safety awareness- staff is well trained like you would find in the US. There's water guards everywhere.

Negatives:

- Lack of shade, renting a hut costs extra

- food and beverages slightly overpriced

- nothing to do for kids < 120 cm. a wave pool and a water playground that's it

Sure would like to have this in Chiang Mai.

Yes sir, at 1200 baht per adult that is rather expensive. A few months ago the missus was speaking with some Chinese investors who were looking for land to set up a water theme park.

They were looking at an area beyond Mae Rim but unfortunately road access wasnt the best, natural valley and hillside angles did appeal to them tho, as it would have saved a bit of cash with construction costs. I think the main thing would have been access to a substantial supply of water.

Not sure what happened....probably up sticks and flew back to mainland China.

Would have been nice to have a facility like that so close by

Nasty, see the enclosed tube will get very hot from sunlight and if typical the water will be highly chlorinated for obvious reasons, chlorine evaporates quickly and will become a gas in the tube, you will be happily sliding in a hot chlorine gas environment. Many people are sickened and puke at these types of water parks.

The grand canyon old quarry looks nice, how is the water quality?

Nasty, see the enclosed tube will get very hot from sunlight and if typical the water will be highly chlorinated for obvious reasons, chlorine evaporates quickly and will become a gas in the tube, you will be happily sliding in a hot chlorine gas environment. Many people are sickened and puke at these types of water parks.

Oh, I had no idea we had a water park engineer on the forum. rolleyes.gif

The enclosed tube does not get hot, it has water running through it continuously at a fairly steep angle. It's really just fine. All if it is rather nice, clean and well maintained actually. And no double pricing, which is worth a mention. For all those reasons it's really quite a bit above the usual modus operandi for attractions in Thailand.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd6KTPvfy5U?t=43s (Start at 45 seconds or so)

(And the 'grand canyon' quarry does not look nice, although that's a matter of opinion. It's an artificial pit filled with standing water in deep holes and trenches left over after quarrying sand and rock out.)

As is to the best of my knowledge there is no supervision there now. A water park will bring in supervision.

My understanding is it is not a canyon just an old rock quarry.

Yes, it's an old rock qua rry full of dirty stagnant water. Best advice is to stay away as it's another piece of Thai stupidity ignoring all the normal health and safety issues.

The enclosed tube does not get hot, it has water running through it continuously at a fairly steep angle. It's really just fine. All if it is rather nice, clean and well maintained actually. And no double pricing, which is worth a mention. For all those reasons it's really quite a bit above the usual modus operandi for attractions in Thailand.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd6KTPvfy5U?t=43s (Start at 45 seconds or so)

(And the 'grand canyon' quarry does not look nice, although that's a matter of opinion. It's an artificial pit filled with standing water in deep holes and trenches left over after quarrying sand and rock out.)

LOL... not sure he's a water park engineer or a comedian... "Hot chlorine gas environment" clap2.gif wouldn't have been able to make this up, thanks for the laugh...

It's worth noting the entire Vana Nava water park is using salt pools, or something similar there is no chlorine smell and it's very clean.

To those who have not yet realized this: Double pricing is the exclusive domain of the Thai government. Normal Thai businesses are smarter than that.

As is to the best of my knowledge there is no supervision there now. A water park will bring in supervision.

Yes, it's an old rock qua rry full of dirty stagnant water. Best advice is to stay away as it's another piece of Thai stupidity ignoring all the normal health and safety issues.

Whew! You really had me worried for a minute!

So I guess all of us kids who grew up in the USA, swimming in old abandoned rock quarries can feel safe

because at least they were American rock quarries, good ol' USA abandoned quarries that had modern filtration systems, chlorination, and lifeguards on duty 24/7... so obviously missing in abandoned Thai rock quarries...

Thinking back on it, I don't remember there often being any adults around at all when we were swimming, except maybe on the weekends or holidays.

You would spend all the money to travel to Hua Hin and back but not if the water park charged you 200 baht more than a Thai. Stay home and enjoy the principal the whole thing.

Whew! You really had me worried for a minute!

So I guess all of us kids who grew up in the USA, swimming in old abandoned rock quarries can feel safe

because at least they were American rock quarries, good ol' USA abandoned quarries that had modern filtration systems, chlorination, and lifeguards on duty 24/7... so obviously missing in abandoned Thai rock quarries...

Thinking back on it, I don't remember there often being any adults around at all when we were swimming, except maybe on the weekends or holidays.

We didn't have the pleasure of a rock Quarry. We just had a swamp out in the middle of the woods. I am not a child of the cuddling ages. I grew up in the 40's enough to enjoy the 50.s and create life with out electronics. In fact not much T V back then either.

To those who have not yet realized this: Double pricing is the exclusive domain of the Thai government. Normal Thai businesses are smarter than that.

Well.. I'd make it 'modern and clued in Thai businesses are smarter than that'. All kinds of crappy shows and old entertainment places happily practise double pricing.

I'd like to think of Vana Nava as a prime example of a new kind of operation that moves beyond that sadness.

(By just charging a bundle to everyone regardless of ethnicity. wink.png ) But fair enough, they do good business and are popular with Thais and foreigners alike.

They did have some discounts for people subscribing to Truevisions I believe, and/or certain credit cards and maybe other things.. which would actually be a really smart way of giving a discount to people who live in Thailand versus tourists on a 2 week holiday. It wasn't a huge discount though, not in the realm of the difference between 'Thai' and 'Foreigner' pricing as perpetrated by the government. But still worth exploring, as most foreign residents in Thailand are just as likely to qualify as Thais are.

Not an "engeneer" but a former summer worker at a water park. There was a particular look that people often had when exiting the splash landing pool,we ALL knew the symptoms of mild chlorine gas poisoning we quickly hustled them over to a wall where they could throw up. The chlorine levels were super high and the enclosed slides were toxic, I rode them many time and developed a strong aversion to the smell of Chlorine that persists to this day. after getting very ill. This was in the 1970s NOW if they are using salt/uv, treatment for the water GREAT !!! have fun. It is a game changer.

Double pricing the "exclusive domain of the Thai Government"? Think again

1. Water near the first elephant village on the Mae Wang road: 5baht Thais/25 baht farangs

2. Thai Cycling Association: Race licence 100 baht (foreigners 500 baht and this goes against international regulations)

3. The Art place in Chiang Mai: Treble pricing

4. Chiang Mai Zoo: Farang price innormal numerals, Thai price in Thai numerals (same as 3 above)

5. Night Safari: same same

...........I could go on.

1. Water near the first elephant village on the Mae Wang road: 5baht Thais/25 baht farangs

2. Thai Cycling Association: Race licence 100 baht (foreigners 500 baht and this goes against international regulations)

4. Chiang Mai Zoo: Farang price innormal numerals, Thai price in Thai numerals (same as 3 above)

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

keep going, please... zoo is government owned, not sure about night safari... thai cycliing association does NOT sound like a private enterprise to me...

I am impressed with your ability to find the other three places that have double pricing, maybe you can name a handful more... out of tens of thousands... thanks, this is amazing, we should keep it going.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

keep going, please... zoo is government owned, not sure about night safari... thai cycliing association does NOT sound like a private enterprise to me...

I am impressed with your ability to find the other three places that have double pricing, maybe you can name a handful more... out of tens of thousands... thanks, this is amazing, we should keep it going.

We could.. or we could stop and agree that a big attraction in a tourist town like Phuket or Pattaya or Hua Hin would very likely practise double pricing in Thailand.. the water park near Pattaya does, as does the dolphin show, Mini Siam and all the other crap.

So we could also just be happy that a better future is feasible and real, with major parks/attractions moving away from blunt double pricing.

I don't remember Vana Nava Waterpark in HH dbl pricing, it was expensive, but well worth it, and I was surprised to see how many Thais there was. Black Mountain also has a good waterpark in HH.

But back to here, this pics are of a new park being built in Sankampaeng to be open later this year.

I'm going to The Sun in Lampoon this week, I'll get back to this thread with my impressions.

post-101742-0-84143400-1461642121_thumb.

post-101742-0-00784200-1461642129_thumb.

post-101742-0-98447500-1461642137_thumb.

post-101742-1944_thumb.jpg

Went to The Sun waterpark in Lampoon yesterday

Not bad especially for 120 bth for adults, 100 bht of kids and Grandma free. After 4 pm 20 bht for everyone (maybe Yai free?)

Open 10 - 7:30

Clean water which is real nice and cold, bunch of slides and a very lazy river (no real current) and large kiddie pool with appropriate sized slides.

There are other rides for 40 bht ea. such as kiddie roller coaster, water bumper cars etc.

There is go carts and bumper cars in back but didn't venture there to have a good look.

Yes it's hokey, yes it's not very big, yes people leave their shoes everywhere and probably pee in the pool.

But everyone must wear swim suits, which they rent if needed, and it was very quiet from 10 am - 2 pm yesterday with no teenagers acting wild.

A bit out of the way but not too bad of a drive (don't follow googlemaps, look at the map and figure it out)

Lots of Thai street style stalls to eat, at similar prices like 30 bht Khao Soi

Worth the price and travel time, sure!

Worth going again, sure since I have 4 kids

Worth writing home about, well no

Worth writing in TV about, of course :)

post-101742-0-39849600-1461973106_thumb.

Archived