travelling overland from siem reap to surin

eyeluvthai

Hi all, haven't been on site for a while and probably could find an answer somewhere...searching and navigating is driving me nuts ..lol..So I'll start a new convo.....

The story....The end of this year 2016, the wife, 6yr old son and I are back to Thai, Roi Et (the end destination) after 2yrs..too long yes! After a few days in BKK we fly Ho Chi Min (stay 1 week) then fly to Siem Reap (stay 1 week)

Then we want to travel overland from Siem Reap to Roi Et. I know not too far but would like to drop into Surin for a night or two on the way for a look, and to break up the travelling. As we don't have a car....my main questions are....what's the best way to get from Siem Reap to Surin ? We will probably go VIP bus from Surin to Roi ET.....Any advice about the border crossing transition, where to go and who to see, recommended taxi, bus or other transport contacts much appreciated !!

Thanks and cheers for now from Ozzy !

Well the closest crossing from Siam Reap is Poi Pet and you can take a taxi for 48 dollars.

There will be buses available from Aranyaprathet but I have no idea on times or costs etc.

There is also the crossing at Chong Chom (Kap Choeng) Surin province.

There are direct buses that go from there to Siem Reap. Ask member "kwaibah" about this he has more details about it

Edit: Found the thread about it

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/849774-new-bus-service-cheong-chom-siem-reap/

Edited by MJCM

Thank you stoneyboy...Do you know about the route via Chong Chom ? Just looking at maps...looks a little more direct

There are mini buses from there to Surin, Huge market at Kap Cheong, Very busy at weekends. A couple of decent farang bars in Prasat also.

You can go North from Siem Reap to either of the Northern borders; taxi cost about $35-$40 and then simply grab a bus from the border. One border goes direct to Surin, the other to Sisaket. Buses are available between the two cities pretty much all the time. I did this in February last year. Both borders are a joy to cross at (no traffic, exceptionally productive border staff). You may have to wait a little while for a bus on the Thai side. Taxis are available but are expensive too.

easy to get a shared taxi in SR to Osmach/ Kap Cheong; takes about 2 1/2 hours

i cross this border all the time with my Thai car

from the border you can get a bus into Surin ( its about 45 minutes)

small border, nice immigration

In Surin make sure you visit the night food market

Edited by phuketrichard

Thank you stoneyboy...Do you know about the route via Chong Chom ? Just looking at maps...looks a little more direct

There are mini buses from there to Surin, Huge market at Kap Cheong, Very busy at weekends. A couple of decent farang bars in Prasat also.

Yes correct, try the LEMON LOUNGE just before you get to the traffic lights at Prasat coming from the border direction on the left frontage road...Good food too.

Hello

I live in Surin,my wife comes from Siem Reap, i travel there and back quite a lot, do not go to Poi Pet, go to Chong Chom,you cannot get a bus, get a cab baht 1300 ( 0885881313-0885881212 from Cambodia, 0935256409 Thai ) 2&1/2 hours travel time, from Chong Chom mini bus to Surin bus station about 1 hour baht 45

Hello

I live in Surin,my wife comes from Siem Reap, i travel there and back quite a lot, do not go to Poi Pet, go to Chong Chom,you cannot get a bus, get a cab baht 1300 ( 0885881313-0885881212 from Cambodia, 0935256409 Thai ) 2&1/2 hours travel time, from Chong Chom mini bus to Surin bus station about 1 hour baht 45

Thanks Jimmy, Yes I have heard Chong Chom much easier to get through and a bit quieter, plus more direct to Surin.

By the way mate, are you the Jimmy I know....from Tims (old) Bar and Pizza 101 ?

Cheers Pete