Mitsubishi Triton Boost Sensor Problem

I have a six year old 2,5L Triton Plus. A while ago it started running very badly, very poor acceleration, much like when the air filter is badly clogged (I know because that happened a couple of months before). Anyway, eventually the engine idiot light came on so I took it to the dealership. They hooked up their laptop to my engine and said I needed a new boost sensor. So I had them install it and on the test drive it still didn't feel right although it was better. The 'mechanic' said it must be OK because the idiot light is off. A week later, it is still a big problem--terrible acceleration, but sometimes OK, very inconsistent. Just thought I'd post here before I take it in to pick your brains since I know nothing about what is under my hood.

Fuel Filter ? Fuel Pressure ? Return line OK ? MAF/MAP problem ? Air filter changed so that is OK. This is where I would start. Like all troubleshooting, a process of elimination until the answer is found. Seem your Mitsu dealer is marginal at best, maybe try another dealer, or independant as it is off warranty most likely.

This was only the second time I went to the dealership near Meechok Plaza; I'd always gone to the one on the Superhighway before, but they get really busy and it's harder to get to now with all the construction traffic. I think I'[ll try the one in Hang Dong. Thanks for the tip. I'm no mechanic, as I said, but these guys at Meechok displayed a shocking lack of troubleshooting aptitude.

Hi there

We also have a 6 year old Triton and experienced exactly the same symptoms as described some time back.

It turned out to be a smalish plastic thing which measures and controles how much air is going into the engine

to be at fault. Quite expensive though, from memery Baht 4.500. After exchange the car was behaving as new,

and still is.

We have just had the 120.000 km service done incl. change of all oils and also the timing belt - charge Baht 25.000

To be honest i found it difficult to keep my mouth shut despite the hawk eyes from my wife. Fair or ?

Have a nice and hot day out there.

Rasmus

The dealership kept my truck yesterday and gave me a ride home, and they have just told me they need to keep it for another day. They say that replacing the boost sensor (and yes, Rasmus, that sounds exactly the same--the same price and something to do with air) was the right thing to do and that that alone often fixes everything but not always. So it was the right first step for the other dealership, although I'm still not impressed with them. The engine has been thoroughly checked by computer; the next step is to inspect things manually. To be continued.

The dealership called today, saying they had fixed the problem and offered to come and pick me up in my own truck so that I could test drive it on the way back to the dealership. They replaced the exhaust valve (6,280 baht) and now she runs good as new. What a treat. I'd forgotten how good it could run. They also washed the cleaned the truck inside and out and put air in the tires. The young man who I dealt with through this is a very pleasant chap. So a happy ending. I will always take my truck to the Mae Hia branch from now on.