Baggage Carousels And Airlines

Maestro

I wish I could find it again, but I can’t. I remember clearly seeing information, or a link to information, in this forum indicating which baggage carousel is assigned to which airlines. Can anybody point me to this information again, please?

I know there are blinking monitors giving arriving passengers that information for their flights, but apparently there is a pre-defined assignment of carousels to airlines – whether it is being followed is another matter, of course.

---------------

Maestro

I wish I could find it again, but I can’t. I remember clearly seeing information, or a link to information, in this forum indicating which baggage carousel is assigned to which airlines. Can anybody point me to this information again, please?

I know there are blinking monitors giving arriving passengers that information for their flights, but apparently there is a pre-defined assignment of carousels to airlines – whether it is being followed is another matter, of course.

---------------

Maestro

There is an alternative to the blinking signs. Just before you enter the Immigration Halls look up over the shop at end of walkways to see the huge board giving the Baggage Carousel for your flight.

Good signs on each Carousel also.

---------------

Maestro

If there is, that could explain why all the other carousels were empty yet the one my bags were on was stacked ridiculously high with bags from two completely different flights last Sunday. It was complete madness - so many people crowded around it and bags stacked so high on the carousel that there was nothing you could do but watch your luggage go round and round until the crowd thinned out as it was impossible to reach in and grab your bags without seriously injuring yourself!

sylva, whats the matter with you? don't you know carousel ettiquette requires pushing someone out of your way to grab your bag and if they don't move bang them with the bag on your way out?

I have been in Asia far too long :o

sylva, whats the matter with you? don't you know carousel ettiquette requires pushing someone out of your way to grab your bag and if they don't move bang them with the bag on your way out?

I have been in Asia far too long :o

sbk, you are not wrong. Just came back tonight. My bag was on the belt, but very difficult, to get through the people standing '3-deep' and hoping to spot theirs.

The only way to get my 40 kg-bag is to use the movement of the belt, swing the bag 180 degree and onto the trolley. If somebody is in the the way, a friendly 'excuse me' is appropriate.

I seem to have remembered wrong. Carousel assignment is not in such great detail as I thought. Searching my computer’s hard disk I now found this from an old thread on ThaiVisa, compliments of Rinrada:

Singapore Airlines and Star Alliance Baggage Belts are located at Belts 8-15

---------------

Maestro

At the new BKK airlines, for the most part, have fixed counter locations for check-in (within rows A-W). Other than possibly TG, I do not believe any other airlines have fixed baggage carousel locations. It's easy to imagine they have a rotating system, and that for the most part, if schedules are intact, that tomorrow's NW flight might end up with same baggage carousel as tonight's, but I wouldn't plan my day on it. Typically, after the plane has docked and the crew open the door, a ground supervisor enters the plane and s/he makes an announcement, which includes the baggage carousel number. That tends to be reliable information.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reviewing some information Lufthansa sent me recently re: Suvarnabhumi.

On a map of the baggage carousel area it says, "Lufthansa baggage belts are preferably no. 8 - 10."

and, "Star Alliance have a common baggage service facility behind belt no. 8 for claims."

One thing that was quite helpful to me was the information that there is a large board showing baggage carousel assignments, right before you head into Immigration.

And, believe it or not, the board was correct!

Aha, so there is also a board, and a large one, not only the rapidly blinking monitors with small, multi-coloured text. Good to know. I shall look out for it, before arriving at immigration check.

---------------

Maestro

Aha, so there is also a board, and a large one, not only the rapidly blinking monitors with small, multi-coloured text. Good to know. I shall look out for it, before arriving at immigration check.

---------------

Maestro

Quite legible too, just have to get out of the way of the herds stampeding towards Immigration (nearly got run over for stopping to have a look!)

---------------

Maestro

Quite legible too, just have to get out of the way of the herds stampeding towards Immigration (nearly got run over for stopping to have a look!)

One of the boards in photo over shop, Immigration to your left as we approached.

http://www.boxertravels.net/airport/index.htm

Edited by Boxer

Does anyone else think the carousels at the new airport are a bit strange. They seem to bring the bags up at a much greater height than other airports and then spit them out as if they actually want to break anything remotely fragile inside.

I seem to have remembered wrong. Carousel assignment is not in such great detail as I thought. Searching my computer’s hard disk I now found this from an old thread on ThaiVisa, compliments of Rinrada:
Singapore Airlines and Star Alliance Baggage Belts are located at Belts 8-15

---------------

Maestro

Last Thursday morning (1:10 am) China Airlines was on belt 15...

Regards, BD