'80s Action Star to Make Films Promoting Thailand

rooster59

He is a massive, massive pillock and he has been shown up several times as a wimp when coming to a fight. Most notably running away from JCVD.

I'm no fan of Segal, but he does have a really impressive track record with regards to martial arts. You don't get these titles easily. It's takes years of hard work. From my previous Wikipedia link:

He attained a 7th dan degree and Shihan in aikido, he also holds black belts in karate, judo and kendo and became the first foreigner to operate an aikido dojo in Japan.[19]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of the action fighting scenes in his movies are quite funny though you have to admit. Watching him slap bad guys is on par with Moe slapping Larry and Curly.

Films are for entertainment. Van Damme was more a dancer, whilst Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung played for laughs.

However, if you doubt Seagal's authenticity go and challenge him. I'm sure he'd oblige.

He is a massive, massive pillock and he has been shown up several times as a wimp when coming to a fight. Most notably running away from JCVD.

I'm no fan of Segal, but he does have a really impressive track record with regards to martial arts. You don't get these titles easily. It's takes years of hard work. From my previous Wikipedia link:

He attained a 7th dan degree and Shihan in aikido, he also holds black belts in karate, judo and kendo and became the first foreigner to operate an aikido dojo in Japan.[19]

Fair play but he acts like the tough guy and has been put in his place several times.

http://fightstate.com/steven-seagal-choked-out-by-judo-master-shits-his-pants/

http://www.contactmusic.com/jean-claude-van-damme/news/seagal-and-van-damme-fisticuffs-at-stallone-party_1058456

He may have the titles but he constantly seems to go around acting the tough guy. There are a fair few stories to the contrary.

Pray tell what did JCVD ever achieve in the real martial arts world? Not a lot by all accounts.

I know, personally, of one ex European Karate champion and sensei who challenged JCVD whilst advising on a film. Just some friendly sparing. JCVD didn't want to know and has not achieved recognition through competitions. He's an actor.

Seagal on the other hand is an accredited martial artist, bone fide qualifications through recognized associations, and has documentary evidence of training US law enforcement. He's a volunteer sheriff's deputy.

So if you think he's a sham and a coward go and tell him face to face, or better still challenger him. Go on, grow some. Let's us know when and I'll video it for you.

Edited by Baerboxer

All these Japanese styles he's a "master" of and he wears Chinese clothes, the youtube interviews with people who have worked with him are very entertaining.

Seems his clothes are pretty typical of Aikido masters. If he ran a dojo in Japan, he'd be wearing the proper clothes.

Fair play but he acts like the tough guy and has been put in his place several times.

http://www.contactmusic.com/jean-claude-van-damme/news/seagal-and-van-damme-fisticuffs-at-stallone-party_1058456

He may have the titles but he constantly seems to go around acting the tough guy. There are a fair few stories to the contrary.

Understood. He's fat and old. Like a lot of the rest of us. But still deserves some respect for what he's achieved. Which is impressive. He'd put most of us down without raising a sweat.

he will net $500,00 from these films. so he is laughing all the way to the bank.

as for promoting Thailand, from the Youtube trailer:

"An ex-CIA agent's quest to find his kidnapped daughter leads him on a trail of political intrigue, corruption, danger and betrayal; he will stop at nothing to save her. Starring Steven Seagal, Byron Mann, and Monica Lo. Directed by Siu-Tung Ching and written by James Townsend."

so they got that part right.

love the part where the BIB burst through the door with M-16 blazing.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Understood. He's fat and old. Like a lot of the rest of us. But still deserves some respect for what he's achieved. Which is impressive. He'd put most of us down without raising a sweat.

The JCVD incident was 20 years ago and Gene LeBell is 20 years older than Segal! A master he maybe but the tough guy and bully act comes off stupid when he has been shown up by his peers.

But most of us would not see the ability to "put someone else down" as a particularly elevated accomplishment, or as an accomplishment at all..There are thousands of muscle bound moronic thugs out there who could " put us down".Are we supposed to respect these creeps?

There's some seriously envious people slagging this actor off today. It's lucky neither he nor anyone else of any significance cares what the Thaivisa intelligentsia have to say.

Give it a rest, all he's doing is setting up his own production company with the intention of making films here.

The JCVD incident was 20 years ago and Gene LeBell is 20 years older than Segal! A master he maybe but the tough guy and bully act comes off stupid when he has been shown up by his peers.

JCVD is 8 years younger and according to your link, was crazed at that time. Segal could very well be a blow hard. Aren't all of these toughs guys the same? LOL

Plus, Segal primarily studied Aikido. Which focuses on self defense and the ability to NOT hurt your opponent if you do get into an altercation. Not full contact karate and professional kick boxing like JCVD did. Totally different styles. For totally different purposes.

JCVD is a true tough guy. No doubt. Sounds like LeBell is a true tough guy also.

But most of us would not see the ability to "put someone else down" as a particularly elevated accomplishment, or as an accomplishment at all..There are thousands of muscle bound moronic thugs out there who could " put us down".Are we supposed to respect these creeps?

I think you're missing the point. If you know anything about Aikido, it's all about avoiding problems. Great form of martial arts. This is what Segal studied. My comment was basically meant to say he can take care of himself. Is he a blow hard? Possibly. I don't know him. Sounds like JCVD going after him at a club puts him the creep category also.

I used to look forward to a movie when Stevie bou was in it.Used to be good quality and the Marshall arts were always good.But of late his movies lok like desperate for money film's.

Like the van Dam guy i saw him in a movie this week all hair dye and crumpled suit.Shame really.

But the thing i remember about our Claude was when he was interviewed by the TV at a movie premier.He said "yes,i made some cruddy movies" the TV guy was so delighted that a star like him had actually admitted that some of his films were rubbish,that he told it to the TV watching world.The next day the channel got a call saying that Van Dam was going to sue them for false reporting.

what Van Dam had said was "yes i made some Karate movies"

Lost in accent translation? or Not?cheesy.gif

Under Siege 3, filmed on a bus all around the country, best bit when the bus crashes ( first time ) driver runs away but Steven catches up with him, gives him a smack with a wok ( available from Makro- just happened to be there in the Makro box) then the BIB turn up for photos. The bus has now been repaired and a new driver arrived! Thats the first 5 minutes, this what action is all about! Next best bit is when Steven beats up a ghost ( first time on film ).