Gf Driving In The Uk

yorkieb

Dear Forum

Bu way of background my GF is due to travel to the Uk next week armed with a 6months fiancee visa. We plan to marry within this 6months period and then apply in the UK for the 2 year extension.

However my question relates to her legitimate ability to drive a car or motorbike in the UK. I have enquired at the DVLA about a provisional licence for her but have been told that she is not elegable due to the fact that her visa is only for 6months..

So plan No 2, she has today passed her driving test in THailand which is a 1 year Thai licence for car and motorbike.

Can she now drive in the UK now for the same 1 year period and what cc motorbike can she ride?.

Does this 1 year licence simply enable her to just get a provisional over her?.

Does she need it translated into english?.

A friend told us that she needed to have a licence for 5 years in Thailand at which point she could convert it to an international one and then automatically have a full licence in the UK, is this true?.

A lot of ramdom questions I know but if anyone can advise I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Yorkieb

When we hired a car wife was told that her Thai license was good for 1 year ....but only for her first in the country.

She has one of the Pink ones which last a lifetime....

No translation needed ....Over "ere not paranoid about things like that.... :D

After that (12 months) she applied and got a provisional from the DVLA but as yet never taken her test.(we dont have/need a car in London)...one day..... :o

If i could offer a bit of friendly advice it would be to book her in for a set of driving lessons in the U.K. to bring her up to the required standard needed.

Perhaps also check on the insurance requirements for cover as well and the fact that she is driving on an international / Thai licence.

The legalities are very important when you consider the difference in testing / driving / highway code ect.

If she has an accident it could be any claim would be disputed along with her ability to be in possession of safe driving skills should this happen, leaving you with untold problems not least of all injury or death.

This is not a cynical post but meant to be a constructive one. :o

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

If i could offer a bit of friendly advice it would be to book her in for a set of driving lessons in the U.K. to bring her up to the required standard needed.

Perhaps also check on the insurance requirements for cover as well and the fact that she is driving on an international / Thai licence.

The legalities are very important when you consider the difference in testing / driving / highway code ect.

If she has an accident it could be any claim would be disputed along with her ability to be in possession of safe driving skills should this happen, leaving you with untold problems not least of all injury or death.

This is not a cynical post but meant to be a constructive one. :o

marshbags :D:D:D

Marshbags

I totally agree, she may have slipped in the back door with two 1hr lessons from a friend and swotting up on a test book back in her village but that for sure dosent mean she is safe on Uk roads. hel_l my exwife was lethal and she had been driving for 15 years, lmao. Dispite my GF's new found independent driving status she will accompanied by me for the first 6 month at least. And I will take your advice and check with the insurance company. Cheers.

P.S Also tks to Rinrada for your advice.

Yorkieb

To answer your queries a little more clearly:

Can she now drive in the UK now for the same 1 year period and what cc motorbike can she ride?.

She drive any car or motorbike on her licence for 1 year only

Does this 1 year licence simply enable her to just get a provisional over her?.

What it allows her to do is to drive a car in the UK without L plates, she should then pass the UK test within that year (that means obtaining a provisional license). If after 1 year she hasn't passed the UK test yet then its back to accompanied driving with L plates until she does.

Does she need it translated into english?.

Go to the Driver Licencing centre where she got her licence and get an international driving permit, think its about 1000/1500 baht not to sure, but it contains a translation of her driving entitlements in several languages including english and is valid for 1 year from date issue (its not actually required for the UK but can help)

A friend told us that she needed to have a licence for 5 years in Thailand at which point she could convert it to an international one and then automatically have a full licence in the UK, is this true?.

No, complete <deleted> :o The only people who can convert with no test are members of the EU with a full driving licence and I believe some, but not all US states (the reason I say believe is because I'm not sure if for the US I'm confusing UK/French regulations). The period you have been driving is not relevant

A lot of ramdom questions I know but if anyone can advise I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Yorkieb

Edited by moonoi