Cost of Living in Thailand Over the Last 8 Years by The Pattaya Sleuth

Inspire

Cost of Living in Thailand Over the Last 8 Years by The Pattaya Sleuth

thai-money.jpg

I have been living in Thailand for some time and I have certainly seen things change in that time and I don’t feel that it is a cheap place to live or cheap as it used to be at the very least – not that I am complaining!

I arrived in 2008 and at that time the exchange rate for sterling was around THB69 and for the dollar about THB33 so for us Brits at least it made a big difference.

I small bottle of Singha could be purchased for around THB30 in many open air bars and street food was around the THB20 mark. Basic food items such as bread and milk from convenience stores and supermarkets were marginally cheaper than what they are today in terms of baht prices although the falling value of sterling has impacted rather more heavily meaning the cost in real terms (if you receive most of your income in pounds) has gone up significantly.

Property prices have also not moved a great deal in this time in the popular areas although some areas that had previously been waste lands have seen prices rise to similar levels as their traditional popular counterparts. This appears to be the case in all the popular tourist destinations with concerns about over supply being a large factor in this.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/cost-living-thailand-last-8-years/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-04-23

I came here in 1997, 35bht to the Pound then. I get almost double my money now.

I bet you were happy in around 2004/5 when it was 75baht/pound? My brother's wife said it was 90+ before that for a while...if it got to 70 again i would bring all my dosh over here....lol

I still conserve this expense note it dates back to 05 / 2005 when 1 Euro = 50 Baht

Buffet breakfast at one french bakery at a shopping mall = 75 Baht.

Boat tickets to Kohlarn = 20 Baht x 2 = 40 Baht

APEX Hotel one night = 480 Baht

Buffet dinner at APEX Hotel = 150 Baht

3 beers + 1 tequila at beer bar = 160 Baht

Bar Fine + LT service 150 Baht + 700 Baht = 850 Baht
Total = 1790 Baht / 36 Euro / 22 pounds !!!!

nowadays I need to spend at least 3 times this amount to get the same quality of service.

Edited by marcofunny

i have done 8 years in pattaya. rents have come down. i rented a room in view tallay 1 for 6500thb/month. can get breakfast for 89thb. still drinking 60thb beers in rompoh market beer bars. girls still happy to take 1000thb from me although i am a bit bored with them. i earn my money here so i dont know much about exchange rates. of to esan for 5 months next month, suspect it is even cheaper up there.

The cost of living is increasing worldwide because the currencies are worth less!

In Venezuela now you have to fill a backpack full of their currency to go out to dinner and pay for a meal.

According to Main stream news that country can no longer afford to print their own money.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-08-28/printing-money-goes-haywire-in-venezuela

I came in 1984 and since then the price has only gone one way whilst the service has gone in the opposite direction

Yep, everything went up, but doesn't make a big difference for me, as i'm calculating with Swiss Francs. In the eighties i got about 10 - 15 Baht for one sFr., now it's about 35.

I came in 1984 and since then the price has only gone one way whilst the service has gone in the opposite direction

Yep, everything went up, but doesn't make a big difference for me, as i'm calculating with Swiss Francs. In the eighties i got about 10 - 15 Baht for one sFr., now it's about 35.

It doesn't both me as I bring in USD. Work in other countries where money is pretty good. I guess it would bother you if you worked in Thailand on a fixed income and prices increased

I doubt you have maintained purchasing power. I came here in 1967, the rate was about B20/$1. I could have a great weekend--two days of party for B4,000; it costs about B30,000 for the same weekend today. Being realistic, I doubt I consume nearly as much of everything today as I did in those days.

I agree my friend.

I cum here in 2005 produced 3 kids with different Thai women caused me a divorce back home for my constant philandering, was ripped off for an absolute fortune in a fake oil deal, lost a huge property portfolio back in the UK for being a Numpty, thus by not returning to face the music. And not once have I ever complained about Thai prices changing.

To be honest I've moved onto bigger and better things - life's like that I suppose.

So, don't worry too much we're not here on this Planet long enough to keep griping about things - unless your having a bash at TVs expat theorists who have all the answers.

Just saying ..........

I still conserve this expense note it dates back to 05 / 2005 when 1 Euro = 50 Baht

nowadays I need to spend at least 3 times this amount to get the same quality of service.

Still nearly the same price for me now. The woman is just a bit older.

The big difference, is I don't have to work any more, and I still get paid every month.

Edited by BritManToo

The big difference, is I don't have to work any more, and I still get paid every month.

latest Prices on 04 / 2016

Buffet breakfast of similar quality ( that shop closed down longtime ago) = 165 Baht. ( 120%+ increase )

Boat tickets to Kohlarn = 30 Baht x 2 = 60 Baht ( 50%+ increase )

APEX Hotel one night = 680 Baht ( 40%+ increase )

Buffet dinner at APEX Hotel = 250 Baht ( 66%+ increase ) (the food became worse no seafood offerings)

3 beers + 1 tequila at average beer bar = 360 Baht ( 125% increase )

Bar Fine + LT service = 2800 - 3200 Baht (230% increase) (very tough to get someone below 25 yrs, non fat n without tattoos)

Total = 4315 Baht / 125$ / 110 Euro / 85 pounds

between 2005-2016 a total of 140% inflation rate or an average of 11% per year.

Edited by marcofunny

Buffet breakfast of similar quality ( that shop closed down longtime ago) = 165 Baht. ( 120%+ increase )

Buffet dinner at APEX Hotel = 250 Baht ( 66%+ increase ) (the food became worse no seafood offerings)

Bar Fine + LT service = 2800 - 3200 Baht (230% increase) (very tough to get someone below 25 yrs, non fat n without tattoos)

Spot on thumbsup.gif

This shows the truth

Not the 0-2% increase the government is telling all - every year.

coffee1.gif

I bet you were happy in around 2004/5 when it was 75baht/pound?

I moved over just after that.

I knew a few British pensioners, just retired, small pensions, 1000 pounds a month. At the time it was around 70-75,000 baht p/m and the CoL was 1/3rd to 1/2 what it is now.

Now they are 75 years old instead of 65, their 1000 pounds a month (if they still qualify to get it) is only 50,000 baht and everything is 1/3+ more expensive.

Glad I'm not them.

Now they are 75 years old instead of 65, their 1000 pounds a month (if they still qualify to get it) is only 50,000 baht and everything is 1/3+ more expensive.

Glad I'm not them.

Age has reduced my outgoings, more than inflation has increased them.

In 2009 I was easily spending 70-80k a month, now I find it hard to spend 50k a month.

Most of the stuff that's '1/3+ more expensive' I don't buy at all these days.

Not to forget petrol and diesel, that's 30% cheaper now.

Edited by BritManToo

I bet you were happy in around 2004/5 when it was 75baht/pound?

I moved over just after that.

I knew a few British pensioners, just retired, small pensions, 1000 pounds a month. At the time it was around 70-75,000 baht p/m and the CoL was 1/3rd to 1/2 what it is now.

Glad I'm not them.

They could easily have a good life on 50,000 baht a month, especially those who bought a property, so have no rent to pay.

Spot on thumbsup.gif

This shows the truth

Not the 0-2% increase the government is telling all - every year.

coffee1.gif

The government doesn't base inflation on beer bar drink prices and bar fine and long time service costs.

Six years and a little increase in the cost of living,However

Still so inexpensive. I have noticed the private hospitals

Do cost about 30% more than six years ago but I Have

Only,been there twice.

I too have noticed that private hospital costs have increased dramatically over the last 10 years.

I gather that the cost of food (compared to the UK) is now similar - apart from organic and other good quality foods - which are far more expensive here.

Fortunately, the really major costs back in the UK (rent or mortgage/council tax etc. etc.) are still either cheaper, or non-existent here in Thailand.

I think it depends a lot on whether we can afford to pay the premium for 'luxury' items, or are prepared to do without some of them. Its a balancing act. Edit - for those of us who aren't extremely wealthy!

Edited by dick dasterdly

I think it depends a lot on whether we can afford to pay the premium for 'luxury' items, or are prepared to do without some of them. Its a balancing act. Edit - for those of us who aren't extremely wealthy!

Most luxury western food items can be made at home very cheaply in Thailand.

Not really in my experience, as organic food is v expensive. Non-farmed salmon is also v expensive, but to be fair, is probably expensive in Western countries.

Have you tried buying organic or even free-range chicken/pork? As far as I can make out its non-existent sad.png . Villa Mart is probably the closest (?), but despite their v high prices, they don't claim this for their meat - as far as I can make out?

It probably depends on our own interpretation of 'luxury'. Food-wise, its fairly easy for me - organic and free range vegetables and meat.

Household items are more difficult as cost doesn't necessarily equate to best. Even so, trying to find good quality furniture that I'd actually want in my house is easier said than done laugh.png and on the odd occasion I find exactly what I'm looking for - its horribly expensive.

Not really in my experience, as organic food is v expensive. Non-farmed salmon is also v expensive, but to be fair, is probably expensive in Western countries.

Have you tried buying organic or even free-range chicken/pork? As far as I can make out its non-existent sad.png . Villa Mart is probably the closest (?), but despite their v high prices, they don't claim this for their meat - as far as I can make out?

It probably depends on our own interpretation of 'luxury'. Food-wise, its fairly easy for me - organic and free range vegetables and meat.

Household items are more difficult as cost doesn't necessarily equate to best. Even so, trying to find good quality furniture that I'd actually want in my house is easier said than done laugh.png and on the odd occasion I find exactly what I'm looking for - its horribly expensive.

Organic is just a con. Pay 3x for the same product. You trust the shop-keeper?

Try some exercise, it's much better for you than faddy eating.

As for furniture, you don't need furniture, the stuff you own, own's you.

Edited by BritManToo

Organic is just a con. Pay 3x for the same product. You trust the shop-keeper?

Try some exercise, it's much better for you than faddy eating.

As for furniture, you don't need furniture, the stuff you own, own's you.

I agree that organic produce is probably a con here, but things are a lot stricter in the UK (for good or bad) which means that produce labelled as organic, probably is organic. Battery farmed produce is just a 'no go' area to me, as the cruelty of it horrifies me.

Also agree entirely that furniture is unimportant in the great scheme of life smile.png . But I'm one of those people who care v much about enjoying where they live and their surroundings therein. Which is why I happily pay far more than I can afford to live in a quiet location with a big garden, and with the sea just a few steps away.

We all have different priorities. smile.png

not sure what food items you are referring to bit I challenge you to make a burrito with salsa and cheese and see how much it costs. It's outrageous.