Thailand vs Philippines;more fun in the Philippines; You Betcha.

Had this been posted two years ago I would have responded with "Bah poppycock" however now with the way LoS is heading I am also thinking that PI (NOT MANILA) might be an alternative....more and more and without a shred of paranoia I get the feeling that foreigners here in LoS are being subtly positioned as the root of all evil and the easy mark to focus on.. Recent changes to immigration, the campaign " good in bad out" , various high profile court cases involving foreigners which have at best dubious legal procedures and judicial outcomes. Just cant help feel that in last two years their has been a transition from " Welcome to LoS" to a almost suspicion laden :" What is your purpose of being here".

There is of course pro's and con's to consider but for me Thailand's appeal as a place to domicile has somewhat waned over the last two years and indeed doesn't seem to be on any road that will see improvement any time soon

"foreigners here in LoS are being subtly positioned as the root of all evil "

Obviously you don't read very much on TV. According to the majority of posts, everything in Thailand is bad, everything in Farang Land is great, THEY all hate US, none of THEM possess the same flawless logic & common sense innately possessed by all of US. and every negative aspect of life so easily spotted here is an essential element of THEIR culture and can be found nowhere else on earth.

Pretty sure if you do a forum search that you'll find Thais and Thailand are single-handedly responsible for global warming, the immigration crisis in Europe, the collapse of all the financial institutions in the US and Europe and, quite possibly, every earthquake, volcano eruption and landslide since Mount Vesuvius took out Pompeii. And there's nothing subtle about it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always interesting to hear the excitement of young boys in their first trip to Philippines. It gets toned downed a bit after a few trips, once you get fed up with the food, the dirt and the people. Philippinos have, on average, quite low IQs, which explain why they do the things they do. They are simple creatures and most of them are poor. Poverty and lack of intelligence, blessed with a heavy dose of religion, is the reason why they tend to be friendly. Our Romeo OP would have had a much harder time to take a middle class, educated woman "to the sack after one date" (as he gallantly puts it). Volleyball players (well toned, thanks for the visual Joe) cum maids are pretty common in the Philippines, but they generally emigrate to slave-hold locations like Singapore or Hong Kong to be exploited in exchange for a salary that is 6-10 times more than a maid can earn in Manila. We all want to believe that our OP was generous with her. After all, she speaks English and that is a real plus for monolingual punters anywhere they go.

Agree about hotels more expensive for what you would get in Thailand,and yea,food not the best,but at least is is not always searing hot[spicy]

if you look the ads into local papers sites, you can really find a cheap rental deals , once I rented a semi detached house in central manila for as little as 4,600 Pesos (3,500 baht) per month, also I rented one bedroom apartment for as little as 2,400 baht per week !!!

Edited by marcofunny

Marko:

Will you be changing your TVF name and avatar to reflect your newfound love for the Philippines?

Not at all Gecko,as i will be moving back and forth for at least a few months,so even though i have left Kok Prong far behind,i kinda like the name,has a certain ring about it,no not that kind of ring,you sicko's.

And in other news today:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/25/asia/philippines-canadian-hostage-john-ridsdel-killed/

You think he got some of those delicious Western hotdogs before he was beheaded??

This guy was an oil exec working in the Philippines,he was targeted and kidnapped with 3 others by Abu sayaf,on Samal island,on Mindanao,then one would think taken to Jolo,where his head was found,Mindanao is well known to be dangerous for westerners,that and Jolo and the Tawi tawi islands,the rest of the country is generally fine,it is like southern Thailand,but more dangerous,it is advised on most Govt websites not to go there.

Always interesting to hear the excitement of young boys in their first trip to Philippines. It gets toned downed a bit after a few trips, once you get fed up with the food, the dirt and the people. Philippinos have, on average, quite low IQs, which explain why they do the things they do. They are simple creatures and most of them are poor. Poverty and lack of intelligence, blessed with a heavy dose of religion, is the reason why they tend to be friendly. Our Romeo OP would have had a much harder time to take a middle class, educated woman "to the sack after one date" (as he gallantly puts it). Volleyball players (well toned, thanks for the visual Joe) cum maids are pretty common in the Philippines, but they generally emigrate to slave-hold locations like Singapore or Hong Kong to be exploited in exchange for a salary that is 6-10 times more than a maid can earn in Manila. We all want to believe that our OP was generous with her. After all, she speaks English and that is a real plus for monolingual punters anywhere they go.

So your first post and you choose to call me monolingual,i actually speak Thai as i have lived here over 4 years,also,spanish,and some french,also she took me to the sack,something i would doubt would happen to an obvious know all like yourself,as you you seem to be an older rather bitter guy.Good day to you sir.

You forgot to mention the incredible beaches and islands they have.

Many times I think why more and more dont visit the Philipines instead of the hot swamp that is thailand. Only reason I can think off and that it is harder and more expensive to get to. Myself is also planning to get out of this thainess crap and live in taiwan or philipines.

More don't choose the Philippines probably because of things like this: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/25/asia/philippines-canadian-hostage-john-ridsdel-killed/

But nevermind, you should leave immediately. Like yesterday.

Dangerous country,sure if you live in Mindanao,look i lived in Mexico for a year ,in the 90's,so i am not overly worried here.

I have been to the Philippines about a half a dozen times. Yes English is widely spoken as

a second language but after that very little compares favorably to Thailand. Food and

accommodation is more expensive, infrastructure is abysmal from roads and hospitals, to

shopping malls and grocery stores. Booze and cigarettes are cheaper (but I don't smoke,

or drink to excess). My last trip I stayed for three months to really get a feel for it. Significant

power outages 5 times a week. 3-12 hours with no fan/air-con/entertainment. In short

if you have to speak English, if alcohol and cigarettes are big on the vise list. If the possibility

of typhoons 12 months a year are of no concern Philippines may be for you. The water and

land is equally polluted to Thailand, the weather is hot and humid, like Thailand. Yes I could

live there, indeed I have, but why would I when Thailand is a better option for me. I may go

again, and even stay for 3-6 months for a change of pace but for the quality of life, better

accommodation and infrastructure, Thailand wins hands down despite it drawbacks. Heading

to Vietnam next month for a visa run and two week check it out trip. I shall soon see what

Vietnam has to offer. You enjoy yourself in Philippines.

I love Cebu, but my base is in Bangkok where I make my money. I just find it annoying that the airlines seldom provide a nonstop BKK-CEB flight which would take just over 3 hours. Instead I have to waste a whole day each way coming and going forced to stop in Manila for transit.

The hotels and condos are generally more expensive in the Philippines and the infrastructure is lacking.

But the worst thing about the Philippines is the abject poverty of the masses which is in your face every day. If you have an ounce of compassion or empathy for humanity, your heart will bleed.

I believe that Thai are planning a route to Cebu.

It's so much fun, you could actually laugh your head off.

Lived there 15 years straight....but have history there since the mid 70's.

Even have family there...but could not stay any longer.

The people who say it's safe....are the ones who stay in the tourist areas and don't wander the seedier places...which are many. I suppose their innocent "happy go lucky" attitude makes everyone seem friendly. Little do they know what is really going on in their minds. I have lived from town to town..in both good and bad places.....but I just overstayed my welcome...and peace of mind. Many friends killed there.

My son still attends highschool in Angeles (by choice)...18 more months and out of there.

Edited by slipperylobster

Posts and replies in violation of the following forum rules have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.
9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

1; everyone[just about] can speak English

2:everything is written in English

3; The women are generally prettier than Thai's,very few fatties,and no slobbing around in football shirts and shorts,every Filipina takes the effort to look good,and are much more fashionable than Thai's.

4: food that does not sear your mouth off,and heaps of western food.

5 Better driving ,Thailand #2 road fatalities ;Philippines #129

6 better climate,since i am here hottest day 33c,most days 29c to 31c,not <deleted> 44c

7 friendlier people,no one gawps at you,no giggles falang this ,falang that,much nicer,they actually seem to like us.

8cheaper

9 better choice of western food in supermarket

1. Just understanding them is sometimes the issue.

2. Just often not English words.

3. More varied looks in Thailand - and surly as much style.

4. Because inedible for the most part - rip off western fast food that most will not want a second time.

5. There are no roads to drive on - and those they have are parking lots 9 hours a day.

6. You forget the typhoons and rain?

7. There hands are in your pockets if not asking for cash.

8. Hotels much more expensive - only the beer is cheaper.

9. American brand names at high prices because nothing made locally.

That said there indeed is good and bad to be said for both - as is true of most places.

Agree with you Lopburi and would add:

1. Personally I think Thai ladies are much prettier, and have slimmer better figures. Pinays are usually better in the boob department if that's what you like. But each to their own. And of course, the variety in each country is as wide as anywhere else.

2. Pinays are even more fixated on providing for their extended families - especially if they are the oldest daughter (regardless of elder brothers).

3. They are from a very Catholic country and do have Catholic values.

4. English is very widely spoken but heavily accented, uses a lot of American words and idioms, and not always easily understood.

5. Philippine cuisine is awful. How many "Philippine Restaurants" do you find? They have a massive amount of overseas workers but none open Philippine style restaurants - no silver service, mid price or even takeaway. Reason is because no one would like it. That's why there is plenty of American style food available in Philippines.

6. I certainly regard the Philippines as more dangerous than Thailand, with a police force even more inept and corrupt and taxi drivers that are worse too.

All in all, I prefer Thailand. But, it is each to is own.

That would sort of sum it all up for me as well. Trying to be objective here, but I was sort of surprised to read OP's "The women are generally prettier than Thai's,very few fatties,and no slobbing around in football shirts and shorts" Now my trips to PI over the past 12 years or so have been business trips to Manila, but honestly - I found a large proportion of the females there to be chubby when compared to Thai women. And also OP's fashion comment. At least during the business day, I find that people (both men and women) dress better in BKK than in MNL. Could be because department stores there are way more expensive than in BKK and there is nowhere near the variety.

Also trying to be objective: Manila in no way compares to Bangkok in terms of restaurants or decent places to go for a drink. Bangkok also seems to be much more cosmopolitan in terms of cultural pursuits. As for traditional culture and perhaps because Filipinos were subjected by the Spanish, Catholics and the Americans for 500 years, I have never seen much that was very culturally interesting there. And especially the food, unless you enjoy very fatty, oily, vinegary dishes. Funny how we have Filipino staff come over to BKK, they rush right out for som tum. Even they prefer it to their papaya salad, achara, which mostly tastes to me like papaya marinated in sugar and vinegar. That said, the availability and variety of spam available in the PI is far greater than in Thailand...cheaper too!

Then there is the safety of Manila. Get outside of Makati or Ft. Bonifacio, and it is just dangerous to go for a walk at night. With your first trip to Manila, you sort of suss that out when you see guards with shotguns guarding mini marts and Starbucks and with automatic weapons around banks.

And you think traffic is bad in BKK? Try Manila during evening rush hour, just after a rainy season downpour. Floods everywhere and hours of gridlock.

But, yeah...whatever floats your boat.

My Filipina GF and I divide our time between both places for the last 4 years. She loves Pattaya, eats much more spicy food than me and enjoys the better infrastructure there. She has many Filipina friends who live there with foreign BF and they all love it as well. I would see more pretty, slim attractive girls in my food court in pattaya during lunch hour than I ever see going to the bars in Angeles. Chubby abounds there and even the GF who would like to be loyal to her own admits there is no comparison. I do think that 'regular' Filipinos are nicer people than the type of Thai we generally mix with in Pattaya but the language barrier makes it harder to get tO know them well, not such a problem in RP

Personally, when considering relocating to a new country, I think it is much easier to maintain objectivity if you avoid getting emotionally or sexually involved with a local. This can really short-circuit the evaluation process, as it is too easy for feelings about the country to become intertwined and confused with romantic feelings.

The danger is that if or when the relationship goes south, the feelings for the country sour as well. You definitely see examples on TVF of guys who become very negative about Thailand after a romantic breakup. I would seek out a place which offers things which attracts you regardless of whether you're romantically involved with someone.

For me, Thailand's appeal is that I feel more socially comfortable here than in my home country. This has sustained me through a lot of relationship ups and downs. I like eating spicy food as well. smile.png

Opinion from a non muslim Paki:):)

Have travelled loads of times to Thailand all over and this time decided with my wife to try Philippines.

Philippine embassy in Islamabad have a bloke in Karachi issuing visas with a requirement of getting a letter from the ministry.In short a requirement which only the President of Pakistan could accomplish. Solution to pay the cheat the official visa fee and the same amount unofficially for him to give you the visa.

None of this bull to get a visa anywhere else. Total blatant blackmail and the guys in Islamabad get a huge cut from it.

Nice way to start a holiday Grrrr.

Manilla airport old very old. Drive from airport in the night poorly lit potholes and beggars a hundred times more aggressive then in Karachi. Compare that to well lit road from the airport to city centre in Karachi and a nice modern airport. Swamppy airport and drive no comparision at all.

Philipino women ugly as hell compared to the thai. Even my wife agreed on this but claimed the men looked better.

Philipino food awful except for there Lechon which is truly delicious.

Philipino women very easy to pick up from shopping malls.Never found more needy women in the world then in the Philippines. Literally was on phase one with a lady in one of the supermarket isles ( wife was in another isle ) Half blind people do say im reasonably good looking lol

Bad infrastructure

Electricty shortages

Kidnappings

Only positive thing was English widely spoken and the people are more polite.

Id rather rot in Paki land (atleast the food here is awesome lol)

Its Thailand all the way a winner.

Cheers

It's so much fun, you could actually laugh your head off.

Lived there 15 years straight....but have history there since the mid 70's.

Even have family there...but could not stay any longer.

The people who say it's safe....are the ones who stay in the tourist areas and don't wander the seedier places...which are many. I suppose their innocent "happy go lucky" attitude makes everyone seem friendly. Little do they know what is really going on in their minds. I have lived from town to town..in both good and bad places.....but I just overstayed my welcome...and peace of mind. Many friends killed there.

My son still attends highschool in Angeles (by choice)...18 more months and out of there.

I agree it can be unsafe, I lost an old pal in Angeles who moved over from Pattaya but maybe he brought it on himself... RIP JH..

after one date,she was living in the hotel with me,forget,"oh they are catholics,you will have to wait" let me tell you she is better in the sack than most Thai bar girls,and yet she is not a bar girl,

Not a bargirl? What else might you call it?

Armed guards everywhere and the food is awful - right?

ps - there are many Thai dishes that are delicious and still not spicy...

Edited by kenk24

Personally, when considering relocating to a new country, I think it is much easier to maintain objectivity if you avoid getting emotionally or sexually involved with a local. This can really short-circuit the evaluation process, as it is too easy for feelings about the country to become intertwined and confused with romantic feelings.

The danger is that if or when the relationship goes south, the feelings for the country sour as well. You definitely see examples on TVF of guys who become very negative about Thailand after a romantic breakup. I would seek out a place which offers things which attracts you regardless of whether you're romantically involved with someone.

For me, Thailand's appeal is that I feel more socially comfortable here than in my home country. This has sustained me through a lot of relationship ups and downs. I like eating spicy food as well. smile.png

Agree. That's the problem with TV, there's too many guys who've been involved with the wrong kind of women (and their circle of relatives/friends) and come to the asinine conclusion that all of Thailand is like that and out to get them. Unfortunately, you can't argue with stupidity. If one is objective, there's no comparison between Thailand and the Philippines. This is not an indictment against Filipinos. I've met many Filipinos (mostly not living in the PI) and they're wonderful people. But their country is a mess. And they know it.

I will say that the PI may have one advantage over Thailand. If you're a farang seeking to find an Asian wife who wants to relocate to the west, you're better off seeking a Filipino. Most are desperate to leave the PI...unlike Thailand, where most of the "normal" females would prefer to stay in-country. The thing is, once the Filipina is settled in the west, she will dedicate the rest of her life to bringing her family over.

You have a point there, Berkshire. And it seems the desired location for Filipinos is USA, given that so many already have family there.

Someone once joked with me that if you walk into a room with 100 Filipinos and 100 American green cards and ask how many would like to have one, how many would take the offer? Ninety nine of them would answer "me".

Walk into a room full of Thais with the same. Maybe 25 of them would say "me".

I informally tried this in reality with office staff in MNL and BKK. Surprisingly (or not surprisingly?), that ratio was almost accurate. I think Thais have a more unique and distinct culture than Filipinos, and that is a major factor. As well, the Filipino culture adopted a lot from the Americans during their 90 years as a US territory. Or is it the spam?

But as you said, the country really is a mess and poverty is rife. Spendable income for educated professionals is much lower than Thailand. For example, salaries are a bit lower compared to their peers in Thailand, but at the same time, rent and street food in MNL is more expensive than in BKK. And if you are an expat looking for a quick lunch from a street vendor...don't even think about it.

Edited by bubba

The Central Visayas part of the P.I. where the OP visited is a nice part of the P.I....more laid back than the main island of Luzon where major cities like Manila are located. Regarding the weather being better, I don't know if I would agree with that...I lived on Luzon for 5 years and it's ever bit as hot and humid as Thailand on an average basis. It is nice in how most folks can read, write, and speak English fairly well...it will take Thailand another couple of centuries to possibly reach that point but being a proxy province of China I don't know if the central Chinese govt will allow that to happen. And just because the girls are predominately catholic doesn't mean they `avoid sex before marriage or anything like that...they are like bunny rabbits when it comes to having babies. And generally like Thailand you are marrying the family when marrying a Filipino. Corruption in the P.I. is bad also. Summary: P.I. is a nice place especially for a single man...it has its pros and cons.

Ummmm Thailand is its own country with its own government.

1; everyone[just about] can speak English

2:everything is written in English

3; The women are generally prettier than Thai's,very few fatties,and no slobbing around in football shirts and shorts,every Filipina takes the effort to look good,and are much more fashionable than Thai's.

4: food that does not sear your mouth off,and heaps of western food.

5 Better driving ,Thailand #2 road fatalities ;Philippines #129

6 better climate,since i am here hottest day 33c,most days 29c to 31c,not <deleted> 44c

7 friendlier people,no one gawps at you,no giggles falang this ,falang that,much nicer,they actually seem to like us.

8cheaper

9 better choice of western food in supermarket

1. Just understanding them is sometimes the issue.

2. Just often not English words.

3. More varied looks in Thailand - and surly as much style.

4. Because inedible for the most part - rip off western fast food that most will not want a second time.

5. There are no roads to drive on - and those they have are parking lots 9 hours a day.

6. You forget the typhoons and rain?

7. There hands are in your pockets if not asking for cash.

8. Hotels much more expensive - only the beer is cheaper.

9. American brand names at high prices because nothing made locally.

That said there indeed is good and bad to be said for both - as is true of most places.

Agree with you Lopburi and would add:

1. Personally I think Thai ladies are much prettier, and have slimmer better figures. Pinays are usually better in the boob department if that's what you like. But each to their own. And of course, the variety in each country is as wide as anywhere else.

2. Pinays are even more fixated on providing for their extended families - especially if they are the oldest daughter (regardless of elder brothers).

3. They are from a very Catholic country and do have Catholic values.

4. English is very widely spoken but heavily accented, uses a lot of American words and idioms, and not always easily understood.

5. Philippine cuisine is awful. How many "Philippine Restaurants" do you find? They have a massive amount of overseas workers but none open Philippine style restaurants - no silver service, mid price or even takeaway. Reason is because no one would like it. That's why there is plenty of American style food available in Philippines.

6. I certainly regard the Philippines as more dangerous than Thailand, with a police force even more inept and corrupt and taxi drivers that are worse too.

All in all, I prefer Thailand. But, it is each to is own.

Dont forget all the kidnappings that happen in PI from the extremists. So many small beautiful islands in the PI but you never know when the extremists will come into a resort and kidnap tourists. Poverty and crime are so bad in PI. Your taxi gets mobbed with beggers when at a light or stuck in traffic, never had that happen in Thailand. My driver would always keep the door locked, just crazy!