I think this country is going paranoid bananas.

laolover88

Have lived here happily for decades. Keep clear of police/bureaucracy/immigration/hospitals/schools but live a "Thai life" I speak Thai.

Went to send an EMS letter to the UK. Passport please. I don't carry a passport only a copy. Not enough!. Only original ! I have copy Thai 5 year driving licence. No. Only Card. I have copy house book. No. Original. What do they think I can put in an A4 envelope? So I throw a hissy fit. Happens I live close to the PO housing compound. Eventually a big cheese who I know appears. No problem. But it is getting stupid. There will be people ironing glycophosphates onto postcards soon.

Edited by Crossy
Obtuse reference to HM The King removed.

Have lived here happily for decades. Keep clear of police/bureaucracy/immigration/hospitals/schools but live a "Thai life" I speak Thai.

Went to send an EMS letter to the UK. Passport please. I don't carry a passport only a copy. Not enough!. Only original ! I have copy Thai 5 year driving licence. No. Only Card. I have copy house book. No. Original. What do they think I can put in an A4 envelope? So I throw a hissy fit. Happens I live close to the PO housing compound. Eventually a big cheese who I know appears. No problem. But it is getting stupid. There will be people ironing glycophosphates onto postcards soon.

You live here for decades, but you stay clear of immigration?

Man, you have a big overstay!

Edited by dutchisaan

I have never been asked to show my passport when sending mail, EMS or otherwise outside of Thailand............strange

It is a new requirement.

Even Thais have to show ID cards

Only for parcels over a certain weight

Can anyone of you long stayers help me out? Why would someone carry a COPY of your driving licence? I made a driving license (Only been driving car once in Thailand, never again) just in order to be able to leave my passport at home picking up parcels etc.

I never heard of any one carrying a copy of the driving license before. And I know that the traffic police in most of the world would laugh if you showed them a copy.

Can anyone of you long stayers help me out? Why would someone carry a COPY of your driving licence? I made a driving license (Only been driving car once in Thailand, never again) just in order to be able to leave my passport at home picking up parcels etc.

I never heard of any one carrying a copy of the driving license before. And I know that the traffic police in most of the world would laugh if you showed them a copy.

Why would you bother carrying a copy, its meant to be carried, thats why its credit card size, so it fits in your wallet, maybe some carry copies of their ATM cards as well (if their wives let them) wonder how they get on drawing cash out of ATM with a copy of their card....by all means make a scanned copy of their DL in case it gets lost and have something to show the traffic dept to get a new one issued...but carrying a copy is just plain silly