Holy holes! Songkraners lucky as sinkhole threatens temple

webfact

Holy holes! Songkraners lucky as sinkhole threatens temple

sh.jpg
Image: Thairath

KRABI:-- Songkran revellers were lucky not to be swallowed up by a large sinkhole at a Krabi temple.

The four metre wide, four metre deep hole was only discovered after a stage where people were doing ramwong dancing at a New Year festival was removed, reports Thairath.

Abbot of the Khao Phanom temple Phipat Panomkij said that the hole was discovered as workmen were clearing the area in front of the main chapel of the temple.

He said that the hole was getting bigger and authorities have been called in amid fears it may enlarge and damage the temple buildings.

Investigations are underway to find out what has caused the sinkhole to form.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-26

Krabi locals link temple sinkhole to Naga appearance
Phuket Gazette

si.jpeg
Abbot Kru Pipat Phanomkit points out the second sinkhole to have opened up at his Krabi temple in the past year. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

KRABI: The sudden appearance of a four-meter-deep sinkhole in the grounds of a temple in Krabi has some locals claiming the hole was made by a Naga – a mythical three-headed snake-like creature.

The hole in the ground appeared at Khao Phanom temple and almost swallowed up the temple’s abbot as he was sweeping in the temple grounds.

“I was clearing things in front of the temple hall, when I heard what sounded like a bomb exploding,” said abbot Phra Kru Pipat Phanomkit. “Water splashed me. I was shocked and ran away.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Krabi-locals-link-temple-sinkhole-Naga-appearance/63764?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-26

'Because of the Naga' .... yeah, right.

In terms of superstition and religious men spreading and supporting it without a blink, what's the difference between the 21st and 12th centuries ?

Answer : none.

PS. I just googled 'sinkholes' and some of the pictures are mindblowing

Archived