The New Ford Ranger

dvk1951

Stopped in yesterday to view the new Ford Ranger, nice looking truck, well appointed with the best passive safety system available yet in a truck (4 air bags). Prices are same same as other manufactures. Ford has made an effort to design the interior with comfort and luxury in mind.

Personally I like what they have done. :D

The only down side that I see is that there is currently only a manual transmission available. :D Salesman was very sketchy on when the auto will be available, saying it would be around by the end of the year, didn't kow any other details. :o Does anyone have any more info, will it be coupled with the 2.5 or the 3.0?

Also, all the promotional posters are still up for the 0% interest rates, I suspect it is still available. :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most likely paired with the 3.0 and sold as top model. What I do know is that it will be a FIVE-speed auto box, first in the segment. Timing will likely coincide with the new Ford Everest, coming sometime end of the year, which is based off the Ranger platform, and offers the autobox. From a production standpoint, it makes sense for the Rayong plant to start fitting the auto version of Ranger the same time they make the Everest.

Adad,

I would have to agree with your speculation regarding coupling the release of the Ranger auto with the release of the Everest as it does make economic sense.

I would also think that with the new power train the Ranger would also be much more fuel efficient.

Ford seems to be keeping the pending release date of the Everest close to the vest, or have I just not been paying attention. EDIT On closer inspection, the Ford website is advertising the Everest with auto already, just hope they can get around to dropping it into the Ranger soon.

With the well appointed cabs, the more rugged looking exterior and the new power train, Ford may have a quality product. If their Thai website is any indication (by far the best info, easiest to navigate and all in English), I would say that their commitment to Thailand is going strong. The shop in the south Pataya dealership was spotless and the whole atmosphere was one of professionalism (other than the salesmans knowledge that is).

I am resisting the urge to buy another brand as I see the Ford as the best bang for the buck.

Edited by dvk1951

Just bought one (4x4 XLT Double Cab), with the 0% finance it was just too good to miss.

Unfortunately, work requirements (in order to actually pay for it) have hauled me off to Rotterdam (dashed cold here) so I can't drive my baby until december (it get delivered on sunday) :o

Having had major problems with my BMWs 'smart' auto box, I have vowed never to have another auto, so the limited engine/transmission options was not an issue.

Looked long and hard at the Fortuner (Mrs liked it) but the impossibility of getting manual transmission in anything other than the base model and the low availability of the only decent colour (blue) coupled with thw 1.1M price tag swung things towards the Ford. I hope it was the right decision, coz I'm stuck with it for 4 years.

EDIT On closer inspection, the Ford website is advertising the Everest with auto already, just hope they can get around to dropping it into the Ranger soon.

The auto Evevest you see is the old one, they will probably wait until the new Everest comes out ot drop the 5sp auto into both the Ranger and the Everest.

For a truck design, Ford chose to go conservative as expected, and I think it should work for what it is being market as worldwide (a tough low-end torque workhorse) -- worldwide except NA and Europe :o

Great commercial though! Best I've seen in awhile.

Crossy,

Sorry to hear about freezing balls but 'bare' with it, only a short visit and then back to the homestead.

I had seriously considered Toyota as well but like the idea of passive safety in the land of the motoring mindless and Ford wins hands down. When I asked Toy to install the passenger side air bag in the truck, their reply was "no can do, don't have" dispite the fact that the Fortuner sitting next to the truck (assembled in the same factory was equiped with it. :o

When you do get back, let us know your impressions of the truck. I hope it to be a strong little truck with the comforts of a car.

Just bought one (4x4 XLT Double Cab), with the 0% finance it was just too good to miss.

Unfortunately, work requirements (in order to actually pay for it) have hauled me off to Rotterdam (dashed cold here) so I can't drive my baby until december (it get delivered on sunday) :D

Having had major problems with my BMWs 'smart' auto box, I have vowed never to have another auto, so the limited engine/transmission options was not an issue.

Looked long and hard at the Fortuner (Mrs liked it) but the impossibility of getting manual transmission in anything other than the base model and the low availability of the only decent colour (blue) coupled with thw 1.1M price tag swung things towards the Ford. I hope it was the right decision, coz I'm stuck with it for 4 years.

The auto Evevest you see is the old one, they will probably wait until the new Everest comes out ot drop the 5sp auto into both the Ranger and the Everest.

Teej,

Thanks for the heads up. :o

I realized that was the case after reviewing the vehicles a bit more, the current Everest is available with the 4 speed auto.

Well it took a while but I found my answer in the following FAQ write up on the Thailand Ranger :

http://www.ford.co.th/servlet/ContentServe...age&c=DFYPa

Thanks for all that responded, Happy Motoring

Ford Ranger

1. Why do you not manufacture 4-door Hi-Rider?

We do not have information at this time. We will keep you informed should further information become available. You may also make inquiries at 02 686 5899 or visit our web site at www.ford.co.th.

2. Prices and promotions?

Click here for Ford Ranger Pricing

Click here to download the latest pricing promotion for Ranger.

3. Fuel consumption rates?

* 2.5-liter commonrail engine offers 18.24 kilometers per liter in actual use.

* 3.0-liter commonrail engine offers 16.59 kilometers per liter in actual use.

* Tests performed at regular speed of 90 kph. by ‘Nuk-Leng Rod Kraba’ Magazine.

4. Specifications?

The new Ford Ranger retains all the unique characteristics of a durable American pick-up truck. It is reminiscent of F-series pick-up trucks which were a bestseller for twenty-nine consecutive years. The Dura-torque 380 engine installed employs the latest commonrail direct injection diesel technology and intelligent variable turbo which gives you more power and superior fuel efficiency.

The 2.5-liter engine is packed with 143 horsepower at 3,500 rpm. It generates a torque of 330 nm at 1,800 rpm and features fuel consumption improvement of 22% over the previous model.

The 3.0-liter engine offers superior performance with a torque of 380 nm at 1,800 rpm and 156 horsepower at 3,200 rpm. It features fuel consumption improvement of 15% over the previous model.

The new Ford Ranger raises the bar on all fronts: engine performance, fuel consumption, passenger cabin refinements and utilities. It is also the first pick-up truck in Thailand to be equipped with side airbags.

Standard Cab

- STD XL WLC MT (A/C,P/S) - One section pick-up truck with commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; air-conditioner and power steering.

Open Cab

-RAP XL WLC MT (A/C,P/S) 2.5 - Commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; air-conditioner and power steering.

-RAP XLS WLC MT (A/C,P/S,P.Pkg) 2.5 - Commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; air-conditioner, power steering, electric windows, magnesium alloy wheels and central lock.

Open Cab Hi-Rider

-RAP HR XLS WLC MT (A/C,P/S,P.Pkg) 2.5 - Raised pick-up truck with commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; air-conditioner, power steering, electric windows, magnesium alloy wheels and central lock.

-RAP HR XLT WEC MT (A/C,P/S,ABS,P.Pkg,SAB) 3.0 - Raised pick-up truck with commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; driver’s airbag, power steering, electric windows, magnesium alloy wheels and central lock.

Double Cab 2.5

-DBL XL WLC MT (A/C,P/S) - Commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine and power steering.

-DBL XLS WLC MT (A/C,P/S,P.Pkg) - Commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; power steering, electric windows, magnesium alloy wheels and central lock.

Ranger 4x4 models

Open cab 3.0

-RAP XLS WLC MT (A/C,P/S,P.Pkg) - Commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; power steering, electric windows, magnesium alloy wheels and central lock

-RAP XLS WLC MT (A/C,P/S,P.Pkg Dual airbag, Radio) - Commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; power steering, electric windows, magnesium alloy wheels, two airbags and central lock

Double Cab

-DBL XLT WLC MT(A/C,P/S,P.Pkg Dual airbag Radio) - Commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; power steering, electric windows, magnesium alloy wheels, two airbags and central lock

- DBL XLT WLC MT(A/C,P/S, Side airbag,VP Pkg ) - Commonrail, variable turbo, intercooler engine; power steering, electric windows, magnesium alloy wheels, side airbags, central lock and special all-round accessories

5. When will models with automatic transmission be offered?

We have planned to introduce models with automatic transmission in late 2006. For more information, please call 02 686 5899 or visit our web site at www.ford.co.th.

6. Why are safety features such as ABS and airbags available only in models with 3.0-liter engine?

Because they are top-of-the-line models. You can choose between the 2.5 and 3.0 models.

The Ford Rangers are nice; my brother-in-law has a 2003 model with a cab. The cab isn't too comfortable so if I were buying one, I would opt for the four door version. I didn't know they now have the common rail fuel injection system. That will help save diesel on highway trips. As for the transmission, I would definitely go manual. Manuals are longer lasting and much cheaper to fix if something goes wrong.

Ford has only been in Thailand since 1998 according to my older brother-in-law who has a Ranger. They're not as well distributed in terms of dealerships/parts as Toyota and Mitsubishi are. One thing I've noticed about the Rangers here is that the body is bigger than the ones in the States plus these ones are diesel. I've only seen one or two small diesel trucks in the States.

I'm afraid that you guys are giving me Ford fever. Monday I plan to go have a look at what the local dealer has in stock.

Being the soothsayer that I am, :D:o I predict you will like what you see, oh, and to make matters worse, Ford has extended the 0% interest thru to the end of November. :D The numbers are on their Thai website.

You are close Boxer, they are currently celibrating their 10th year in LOS. Agree that they are not as popular/prevelent in Thailand but if the Pattaya Dealership is anything to go by, they have a very professional appearance. Service could be an issue in outlying areas. The Ranger in the States has been pretty much the same since 1984 and is very popular.

All the Ranger fans in the US are very envious of the fact that the latest and greatest Ranger is not available there and will not be until it is manufactured in the States.

Ford has only been in Thailand since 1998 according to my older brother-in-law who has a Ranger. They're not as well distributed in terms of dealerships/parts as Toyota and Mitsubishi are. One thing I've noticed about the Rangers here is that the body is bigger than the ones in the States plus these ones are diesel. I've only seen one or two small diesel trucks in the States.

It's been out for less than a year and they already offer deals with 0% ineterest? Maybe after new year it will be "buy one get one free".

Maybe it's a replay of the US market - instead of selling better cars they offer bigger discounts.

Ford might be relatively new here but their trucks are developed in partnership with Mazda. I think they were the first ones to start rebadging cars in Thailand.

The truck is probably very good. They all are. Read a thread about Nissan - and people swear Nissans are better than Toyota, open a thread about Mitsu - and they are better than Toyota, too. I wonder how Toyota can sell their trucks at all, for three years continuosly, more in a month than the rest can sell in a year. There must be a conspiracy.

It's been out for less than a year and they already offer deals with 0% interest? Maybe after new year it will be "buy one get one free".

Funny you say that......

Whilst the missus was doing her Thai negotiations with the dealer she was told, "if you buy the 2 door you can have a free motorcy" :o:)

We still got the 4 door XLT though :D

If you're gonna pay the money, may as well pay a bit more a go for a Toyota.

Why? Whats your justification for paying more for the same (or perhaps inferior) product?

Better resale value for a start, hard to shift are new Fords let alone used ones, limited dealer networks, but not too bad. Higher insurance costs, maintenance costs, to name a couple. I'd say the Toyota would last a lot longer in the long long long run.

Regardless of what you say you can't beat Toyota in Thailand.

Stopped in yesterday to view the new Ford Ranger, nice looking truck, well appointed with the best passive safety system available yet in a truck (4 air bags). Prices are same same as other manufactures. Ford has made an effort to design the interior with comfort and luxury in mind.

Personally I like what they have done. :D

The only down side that I see is that there is currently only a manual transmission available. :D Salesman was very sketchy on when the auto will be available, saying it would be around by the end of the year, didn't kow any other details. :o Does anyone have any more info, will it be coupled with the 2.5 or the 3.0?

Also, all the promotional posters are still up for the 0% interest rates, I suspect it is still available. :D

And why not go for the MAZDA BT-50

Also made by ford?? Same chassis?? Also 0% finance

Stronger motor?? more HP???

If you're gonna pay the money, may as well pay a bit more a go for a Toyota.

Why? Whats your justification for paying more for the same (or perhaps inferior) product?

Better resale value for a start, hard to shift are new Fords let alone used ones, limited dealer networks, but not too bad. Higher insurance costs, maintenance costs, to name a couple. I'd say the Toyota would last a lot longer in the long long long run.

Regardless of what you say you can't beat Toyota in Thailand.

You can....Its called an Isuzu :D

But to get back to your points, when I was hunting around I found that insurance, maintenance costs were negligable between all the manufacturers. Not very much differance at all.

At the end of the day I'm one of those people that doesn't buy based on resale / maintenance or whatever. I buy what I buy because I like it and I want it.

And Plus, certainly it is a myth that Toyota are any more reliable than other brands, so it can't be that. For Thailand I just think that Thais' know Toyotas' have good resale and thats the reason they buy, not because they like them :o

For Thailand I just think that Thais' know Toyotas' have good resale and thats the reason they buy, not because they like them :o

I never bought a Toyota Fortuner for it's good resale value, I bought one cos Toyota knocks the competition dead. :D

I was gonna get a Vigo 4WD before I test drove a Fortuner, and if I ever went for a pick-up, I would certainly go for the Toyota, Ford just never enters my mind, guess I owned too many Fords in my previous life..... :D

And Plus, certainly it is a myth that Toyota are any more reliable than other brands, so it can't be that. For Thailand I just think that Thais' know Toyotas' have good resale and thats the reason they buy, not because they like them

It's difficult to sustain a myth for a long time. Toyota Tiger is what, ten years old? And about 40% of all trucks are Toyotas, so if there was a myth, it was tested by reality.

I will agree to turn around the question - it's a myth that other trucks are not as reliable as Toyotas as historically they never had big enough sales to change this public perception. I'd accept this explanations for recent batch of Kias, for example.

Or maybe it's just a myth.

I stopped by the Ford dealer today and had a look. I didn't see anything that really tripped my trigger. The deal killer was my wife. I wasn't willing to deal on a four door. My wife was poking me and telling me that her Toyota four door 4X4 was better than a new Ford. We left! The Toyota is in her name and I'm not willing to part with my Nissan so it appears that I saved a lot of money.

I stopped by the Ford dealer today and had a look. I didn't see anything that really tripped my trigger. The deal killer was my wife. I wasn't willing to deal on a four door. My wife was poking me and telling me that her Toyota four door 4X4 was better than a new Ford. We left! The Toyota is in her name and I'm not willing to part with my Nissan so it appears that I saved a lot of money.

....and we know who wears the pants in the family :o:D:D. Obviously the marriage is much more important than any old truck (as long as it's a Toy :D )

As they say, cash in the hand is better than 2 in the bush, or something like that.

Perhaps the new Navara is your calling.............

Edited by dvk1951

....and we know who wears the pants in the family :o:D:D. Obviously the marriage is much more important than any old truck (as long as it's a Toy :D )

As they say, cash in the hand is better than 2 in the bush, or something like that.

Perhaps the new Navara is your calling.............

Without a doubt, it's always a good idea to keep the little lady happy, but if keeping her happy means buying a new four door Toyota, she's just going to have to be unhappy.

I am a Nissan fan and was disappointed to find out that the Navara is BIGGER than the rest of the crop. I wanted something smaller. She does like to drive the Nissan but she likes four doors so the Toyota is better in her eyes. It is a good truck but I do think Toyota's are over rated.