The New Ford Ranger

dvk1951

And Plus, certainly it is a myth that Toyota are any more reliable than other brands, so it can't be that. For Thailand I just think that Thais' know Toyotas' have good resale and thats the reason they buy, not because they like them

It's difficult to sustain a myth for a long time. Toyota Tiger is what, ten years old? And about 40% of all trucks are Toyotas, so if there was a myth, it was tested by reality.

I will agree to turn around the question - it's a myth that other trucks are not as reliable as Toyotas as historically they never had big enough sales to change this public perception. I'd accept this explanations for recent batch of Kias, for example.

Or maybe it's just a myth.

I don't disagree that Toyotas are reliable, but there is evidence to show that whilst other manufacturers have upped there game Toyota have slipped behind. Tiger was built when Toyota was on top of there game, now in order for them to reduce costs and get vehicles to market quicker many platforms are shared amongst differant vehicles (IMV platform for the Vigo/Innova/Fortuner) for instance. This has caused problems for Toyota with the number of recalls they have had to make increasing drastically as now instead of a fault affecting just one model it could affect 4 or 5. The Chief Exec of Toyota has taken a hammering over this by the board and shareholders in the not too distant past, I beleive the link to the information exists in another thread in the motoring forum.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buying cars is man's business, leave buying curtains to the wifey!!

I wish.

Took me ages to convince her we needed a 4x4, she doesn't like climbing in wearing a short skirt whereas I DO like helping her in whilst she is wearing a short skirt :D :D

We compromised, I can have the Ranger if she can choose the colour, she chose blue -- then ordered a BLACK one :o

Thai women, got to love them (and I love mine very much) :D:)

Edited by Crossy

Yesterday we stopped by the Ford dealer AGAIN. This time I had the little lady firmly by the hand and insisted that she take a closer look. I explained to her the the Ford open cab was actually a four door and only a little smaller in the backseat. The best part is that the price is a LOT cheaper. What got her attention the most was that the salesman gave her a promotional magazine with a road test article. The test vehicle supposedly got 18.84 kilometers per liter. Of course that was the 2.5 liter and two wheel drive. Ford, at least up here has had the reputation of "eating" a lot of oil. Oil meaning diesel and eating a lot meaning very poor mileage.

The only 4 WD's they had were four doors so we couldn't see what we were actually interested in. We were told that the 4 WD would look exactly like the Hi Rider and would have running boards. At 739,000 baht for the 4 WD XLT it certainly is the best priced of them all. The XLT has two airbags, ABS and an MP3 player standard. All in all the XLT seems like a well equipped vehicle. The engine is noticeably quieter than her Toyota so that scored some points too.

When we got back home she called a guy who had been interested in the Toyota but wasn't willing to pay that we were asking. We came down with the price and the guy will let her know next week if he can get the money. She still hates the thought of spending that much money for a new vehicle when we could buy land instead. We have the Nissan and her motorbike. Will we have a new Ford? That's still a good question but I'm leaning in that direction. My wife is more logical than I am and I like to have new toys. Of course we don't need a new truck! :o

I have been getting 12+KM/L for over 40,000 Km in a Ranger Hi Rider but that is mostly not city driving. Suspension on the newer ones is a bit soft and mushy compared to the older (3-4yrs) models which were smooth but firm.

Does your Ranger have a commonrail fuel system? Have you had any problems at all in 40,000 kilometers?

As I see it, the offer of 0% is a marketing ploy by Ford to gain a stronger position in the Thai market rather than a effort to sell an inferior product. Obviously Toy has the upper hand at this stage and Ford is trying to get a bigger piece of the action. Thailand is the #2 truck consumer after the US and Ford has recognised this fact. The Ranger fans in the US are absolutely green with envy over what is available in Thailand and would give their eye teeth to for a 3.0 turbo common rail.

I and others have tried to deal with the local Toy dealership but find that they do not have an interest in serving the customer, just making the next easy sale. My experience at Ford was just the opposite, they cater to the customers wants and needs and are willing to take the time to answer questions.

When I asked about the accessories that I was interested in on the Ford truck, it turns out 90% were already included and the last 10% are thrown in for no extra charge. Ford wants to get their product out on the road and seen by the public and they are willing to deal.

Gary, your wife does have the right idea, buying land that will appreciate makes a lot more sense that putting out cash for something that will only depreciate. But then again, the thought of big boys toys can blind even the most logical man.

Edited by dvk1951

Isuzu is the best selling truck in Thailand, for good reason. They are strong and have a great engine.

Toyota is the next best. The D4D engine is the next best thing to a mercedes diesel.

Stay away from Mitsubishi.

The Ford 2.5L engine has a good reputation but the rest of the truck can be a service nightmare and the dealer network is weak. A lot of Ford Rangers are on the used market. I think a basic Ford would be a good used truck buy.

Edited by kasi

kasi Posted Today, 2006-11-14 07:47:54

Isuzu is the best selling truck in Thailand, for good reason. They are strong and have a great engine.

:o They may be economical, but great engine? With out a doubt the worst engine of all the pickups, they sound like a bag of nails and are totaly gutless compared to the others. Only in Thailand could Isuzu be number one. I have driven all the pickups but the Isuzu/Chevrolet were hopeless.

For those worried about Ford reliability, I think the new vehicle warranty should ease those fears. A five year 140,000 kilometer looks pretty good. I also see what appear to be an extended warranty for five years and 200,000 kilometers. Is it a good warranty? I have no idea. I have never had a Ford.

I don't know about the Nissan warranty either. Other than regular service my Nissan has never been in the shop. :o

My ford ranger 4x4 xlt is from 2000. It drove it almost 200.000km in those years. Not much problems although the drinking, as previous stated is an issue.

A couple weeks ago I lost the pressure on the clutch. Luckily it happened as I was still driving close to home. I repaired it myself: the clutch is hydraulic. If you open up the bonnet, you can see all those oil-lines mounted against the inner-plate behind the engine. The lines are metal but they have rubber soft-lines at their ends to make a 180degr turn. One of those rubber lines was punctured... 100baht did the job..

This worries me a bit since more rubber-lines are used in the car, although i do not know their function. if they are for brake or steering purpose, I would recommend anybody to replace those lines every 5 years or so... Quality is lousy of those lines. I just installed 2nd hand brake-lines on my motorcycle (yamaha tdm850) , since mine where stolen. I bought original lines from a bike much older then mine. They are probably over 12 years old. They probably last another 10 years...

also a bad point is the shocking pull up in 1st gear. is ok when cold but once the engine is hot, driving in traffic jam always forces me to use 2nd gear as 1st gear shakes me and the occupants up and down. This was never any good over the lifetime of the car, even after regular checkups (IN the ford gargares!).

It is however reasonable quiet in the cabin compared to other trucks... unfortunately this only last the first 1000km or so of your new tires... even when you keep the pressure right...

Would i buy another ford... probably not. I do not believe the 18km/ltr they advertise... My car ran 1:13 when it was new. After the first 1000km check it disappeared, to never show up again. I can achieve 1:11 but i have to use a driving still of an old blind lady, which is beyond the scope of using a car... 1:18 probably translates to 1:12 in city and at the most 14 on the highway (After the 1000km checkup that is) without any serious load.

T.

Edited by tracker

As I see it, the offer of 0% is a marketing ploy by Ford to gain a stronger position in the Thai market rather than a effort to sell an inferior product. Obviously Toy has the upper hand at this stage and Ford is trying to get a bigger piece of the action. Thailand is the #2 truck consumer after the US and Ford has recognised this fact.

If they want to sell in Thailand they need to design their trucks for Thai customers. Their styling is completely off.

They won't sell a lot if their truck looks like a ten year old model.

It would be a big surprise if Ford has not done a lot of market research before designing this truck, but their market is much larger than just thailand so although there may be some input as to what Thai customers want, it must also be a universal design to cater to a much larger market.

Regarding styling, if what you say is true that the design is 10 years old, then the same can be said for Isuzu/Chev, Mazda and Nissan who all have a similar design. The only really inovative design out there right now is Mitsubishi as far as I am concerned. Trucks manufactured in Thailand are designed for export, not just for the Thai market, the things that change in each market seem to be the availability of different power plants, colors, models and the options list.

Personally I think the choice of a truck is up to individual needs and desires as they are all prety much on even ground in regards to quality and durability.

Edited by dvk1951

I happen to like the boxy looks of the Ford. It still looks like a truck. I think the Mitsubishi is the ugliest truck EVER built. It's different strokes for different folks. The Isuzu and Toyota front ends remind me of the old Volkswagen beetle front ends. It amounts to whatever you like.

Mitsubishi and Toyota, two most radicaly designed trucks, export far more than Ford and Mazda.

Simple fact - Fords don't sell. I think it has to do with design, and I don't accept explanations that "looks don't matter" and "it's designed for the rest of the world, not for Thais only even if build in Thailand". Excuses like these are the best turn offs for customers.

I don't know what's wrong with Ford - their Focus is a flop, their new truck is a flop. They are not the first Americans to completely misjudge Thai market.

Design appeal is a personal issue, of course, but when you talk about the whole market, certains trends emerge and you can't ignore them. Well, ok, Ford can, it's their business, they can ruin it in any way they want.

Pity, really, as it's probably as good as any other truck and maybe even better.

For those worried about Ford reliability, I think the new vehicle warranty should ease those fears. A five year 140,000 kilometer looks pretty good. I also see what appear to be an extended warranty for five years and 200,000 kilometers. Is it a good warranty? I have no idea. I have never had a Ford.

I don't know about the Nissan warranty either. Other than regular service my Nissan has never been in the shop. :o

Gary A...I have been driving a new Ford Ranger 2.5 litre Common rail fior 6 months now..After only having driven petrol engined cars inc high proformance V8 Ford and Holdens in OZ.. This Bosch Common rail in Ford and Mazda, Nippon Denso in all other Commonrails..Not only does this Ford proform, it is excellent on fuel consumption, they actually produced a Pick Up that corners superbly(except in the wet) its extremely comfortable to drive..Great on long trips and around town..The thing drives better than a car..

From a Convert to yourself who is looking, the Standard model at just over B500,000 with the 4 year warrantee is excellent, it also includes a CD player that plays MP3 .. as they use to say in OZ Going Ford is the Going thing.. :D

. Only in Thailand could Isuzu be number one. I have driven all the pickups but the Isuzu/Chevrolet were hopeless.

So you are suggesting thai people are inferior and stupid!

Are you living here? I so why? When you have such a low opinion of the populace.

But I guess everyone has a right to their opinion. Hope it serves you well! :o

Toyota is the next best. The D4D engine is the next best thing to a mercedes diesel.

Stay away from Mitsubishi.

The Ford 2.5L engine has a good reputation but the rest of the truck can be a service nightmare and the dealer network is weak. A lot of Ford Rangers are on the used market. I think a basic Ford would be a good used truck buy.

I bought a new 4 Door Isuzu D Mac, 2.5 Turbo Intercooled 2wd 6 weeks ago and couldnt be happier. The wife and I looked at them all and I was leaning towards the Mitsubishi but I just couldn't stop thinking that it looked like it had copped a big kick in the arse. Not really an educated prejudice but I feared that is how it would look to me every time I saw it.

I have just done a 3500 km road trip in it with 3 hefty farangs, luggage and my wife (lighter than a suitcase). A lot of the milage was over mountains (Khon Kaen to Lom Sak a few more times than I wanted to and this is a bloody big mountain range) up to Chiang Khan and along the Khong.

It wasnt noisy at all, it has heaps of poke and even with such a payload the average fuel consumption was 13 kms / litre. If the onboard fuel consumption sensor is to be believed many times it displayed 17 - 19 km/l. If I had a tray cover I am sure the figures would improve.

And I love that Turbo whistle in 3rd/4th gear climbing up the mountains :o

It is comfortable in the front and for the two 6 footers in the back, came with all the fruit (alas no airbags). I am really happy with it.....my only complaint is that the suspension feels a bit spongy but this could be due to the farang factor.

If I had my time over again I would consider the "Overlander" kit which gives another couple of inches clearance as I have belted up the side steps while lost in the mountains trying to find a waterfall.

The dealership in Chump Phae (80 km east of Khon Kaen)was professional, friendly and not shy of giving you some freebies to sweeten the deal. MP3, sidesteps,Alloy wheels.

It was tested with a load of 13 people and a push bike heading down our water hole for Loy Kratung :D

Andy

Edited by khunandy

Mitsubishi and Toyota, two most radicaly designed trucks, export far more than Ford and Mazda.

Simple fact - Fords don't sell. I think it has to do with design, and I don't accept explanations that "looks don't matter" and "it's designed for the rest of the world, not for Thais only even if build in Thailand". Excuses like these are the best turn offs for customers.

I don't know what's wrong with Ford - their Focus is a flop, their new truck is a flop. They are not the first Americans to completely misjudge Thai market.

Design appeal is a personal issue, of course, but when you talk about the whole market, certains trends emerge and you can't ignore them. Well, ok, Ford can, it's their business, they can ruin it in any way they want.

Pity, really, as it's probably as good as any other truck and maybe even better.

I think you may be missing the mark a bit, :D Ford is not in Thailand to sell the bulk of their production, simple fact is that Fords do sell, just not in Thailand which would seem to indicate that they are anything but a flop. But then again, I don't think Ford is trying to saturate the Thai market; not they would not oppose it, it is just they their big picture is much larger than just Thailand, unlike Toyota. Ford has not misjudged the Thai market, they just have other priorities.

I agree with you that Mitsubishi does export a lot of cars as indicated below, but sorry, Toyota ranks very low when it comes to export volume, they have targeted their truck for Thailand and have been very successful especially when you add in the Fortuner, they dominate the Thai market. Does that mean that the Toyota is only better in Thailand, of course not, just as it in no way indicates the quality of any other manufacturer. Only the passage of time proves quality and durability.

Toy is riding the crest right now but as always, the wave eventually crashes onto the beach. Toys are hughly popular around Bkk and south but I have been told that is not the case up north., they target the suburban folks and are winning that game.

But when it is all said and done, it is as Gary A. has stated, it boils down to personal preference as they are all pretty equal. I personally do not consider resale value when it comes to buying a truck, it is something I buy because I like it and hope that I get one that will be easy on the pocket book while parked in my driveway. Oh, and Gary is right about another thing, the Fords do have curb appeal at least thru my eyes. :o

Ford is currently struggling in the global market but that appears to be more the fact that they took on noprofitable companies and failed to turn them around rather than the fact that Fords are not selling. But that is a topic for another time and thread.

The article below is a bit dated but it is the latest data I could find without spending hours, more recent articles I have read indicate that the trend has not altered drastically in the last year or 2.

Thailand targets to produce 1 million automobiles in 2004

BANGKOK, March 26 (Xinhua) -- As a part of Thailand's pilot project to become the automobile hub of Asia or the "Detroit of Asia", the country's production of automobiles could reach 1 million this year, 400,000 of which will be exported, the Businessday newspaper reported Friday. Wanlop Tiersiri, director of the Thailand Automotive Institute unveiled the plan at the 25th Bangkok Motor show which opened to public Friday. He also revealed that this year export of auto parts is likely to be about 200 billion baht (5 billion US dollars) while production of motorcycles is earmarked at about 2.7 million units. According to the ambitious project, the country estimates production to nearly double in 2011 at about 1.8 million, with export the figure reaching 800,000; export of autoparts at 400 billion baht (10 billion dollars) and motorcycle production at 3 million. He also revealed that this year export of auto parts is likely to be about 200 billion baht (5 billion US dollars) while production of motorcycles is earmarked at about 2.7 million units. Wanlop was quoted as saying that Thailand wanted to be the world's ninth-largest car manufacturer by 2011, up from its current position at 15. He said that Thailand produced 750,512 cars last year, of which 533,176 were sold domestically and the remaining exported. Mitsubishi is the leader in the car export segment, followed by Ford, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Isuzu and GM respectively. The total volume of exports was 237 billion baht (5.9 billion dollars), while import was at 178 billion baht (4.5 billion dollars). The government had adopted a dual strategy to promote Thailand as the automobile hub of Asia including to create satisfactory circumstances for business operations and to increase competitiveness among car makers here, Wanlop said, adding that the government would also develop information technology, human resources, international free trade area, transparent regulations and infrastructure and facilities towards this cause. He noted the country would implement effective measures to attract international car manufacturers to remain and further expand their production base in the country. The Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) said Thailand exported a total of 42,228 cars in the first two months this year, worth 18. 8 billion baht (470 million dollars), an increase of 39.62 percent from the same period last year.

(Xinhua - China National News Service, March 2004)

Edited by dvk1951

Stopped in yesterday to view the new Ford Ranger, nice looking truck, well appointed with the best passive safety system available yet in a truck (4 air bags). Prices are same same as other manufactures. Ford has made an effort to design the interior with comfort and luxury in mind.

Personally I like what they have done. :D

The only down side that I see is that there is currently only a manual transmission available. :D Salesman was very sketchy on when the auto will be available, saying it would be around by the end of the year, didn't kow any other details. :o Does anyone have any more info, will it be coupled with the 2.5 or the 3.0?

Also, all the promotional posters are still up for the 0% interest rates, I suspect it is still available. :D

Mate the Ford Ranger is "A ford" and what it is ! the ones we get in the Uk are made in Indo whatever ! better to buy Jap for the long haul ! Stand corrected ! "Jap made in LOS "

Edited by roytheboy

I bought a new 4 Door Isuzu D Mac, 2.5 Turbo Intercooled 2wd 6 weeks ago and couldnt be happier. The wife and I looked at them all and I was leaning towards the Mitsubishi but I just couldn't stop thinking that it looked like it had copped a big kick in the arse. Not really an educated prejudice but I feared that is how it would look to me every time I saw it.

Andy

Andy,

Always nice to hear from someone that is enjoying thier new purchase, that is what it is all about.

It doesn't matter the make, what matters is pegging the 'joy' meter

Happy truckin'

Mate the Ford Ranger is "A ford" and what it is ! the ones we get in the Uk are made in Indo whatever ! better to buy Jap for the long haul ! Stand corrected ! "Jap made in LOS "

Actually it's a Mazda.

Same mechanicals as the Fighter, so it is a Jap built in Thailand :o:)

Dvk, that article is dated, it was from pre-Vigo, pre-IMV period. Toyota has trounced Ford in exports since then, and I think overtook Mitsubishi, too.

Why should Thais care of Ford's global strategy, their success, or failure? It doesn't work in Thailand, period. Ford Focus is a flop here, and it looks like the new truck is going the same way. Who cares if it's the best selling car/truck somewhere else? Public opinion in Thailand has been formed already and it's not favourable to Ford. Just look at what happened to Koreans here. Is Ford going the same way?

Dvk, that article is dated, it was from pre-Vigo, pre-IMV period. Toyota has trounced Ford in exports since then, and I think overtook Mitsubishi, too.

Why should Thais care of Ford's global strategy, their success, or failure? It doesn't work in Thailand, period. Ford Focus is a flop here, and it looks like the new truck is going the same way. Who cares if it's the best selling car/truck somewhere else? Public opinion in Thailand has been formed already and it's not favourable to Ford. Just look at what happened to Koreans here. Is Ford going the same way?

Ya Plus, I know it was dated, that's why I mentioned that fact in my post, if you have any access to more recent data, I would be very interested in seeing it. If Mitsu and Ford/Mazda have gone from first to worst in 2 years, that would be some turn-around, I find it hard to believe that Toy could ramp up their production that fast or that the others would drop off that fast but then again stranger things have happened.

I never said that Thai's care about Fords global stratagy and have never seen Ford use that info in any promotions here so perhaps Ford agrees with you, that strategy will not work in Thailand, period. My point was that Toy and Isuzu target the Thai market heavily and earn the lions share of the market while the others are using Thailand as a manufacturing hub and are not as interested in the Thai's as they are the export market.

Calling Ford a flop is a bit of a stretch, have you any stats on Ford's projected sales targets vs. actual sales. If Ford meet or exceed their goals, they would consider it a success even if it is seen as a flop by some, the key is market share growth over time.

When shopping it is always nice to have choices and not be cornered by monopolies, I appreciate the fact that the 'flops' are available to keep the competition on their toes.

Always fun debating with ya, funny thing is I was a GM fan in the past, never cared for Fords (Fix Or Repair Daily) :o:D:D

The best auto sales statisics are published in Bangkok Post, which does not provide access to its archives. Here are some quotes from the Nation instead, mostly from last year

"Toyota, under Sasaki’s leadership, has increased its market share from between 27 per cent and 28 per cent six years ago to about 35 per cent in 2004, and again to a surprising 39.5 per cent last year."

Statistics from Toyota Motor Thailand Co showed that during the first eight months of this year, Thai carmakers also exported a total of 268,135 units .....

Toyota itself exported 73,484 CBUs from January to August, 215 per cent more than for the same period last year, attributable mainly to higher demand for Hilux trucks..." That is nearly 30% market share in exports.

"Mitsubishi exported 109,933 vehicles last year.. " - that's 2004.

"General Motors has vaulted to become the No-4 player in the local pickup market after selling only around 30 of the vehicles a month a year ago...

In comparison, Ford – which re-entered the Thai market six years earlier than GM with the launch of its Ranger pickup – only had 4.6-per-cent share of the pickup market in the first quarter.

GM is now ahead of Nissan, Ford and Mazda, which have a share of 7 per cent, 4.6 per cent and 2.5 per cent share, respectively."

I don't know what Ford's sales targets are. Maybe they set them low from the start. Other carmakers don't wait and Ford is losing market share. Maybe that's part of their global strategy, too.

I know it's illogical that Mercedes Benz sells more cars than Ford, but this is what happens in Thailand.

Is it good for the market? Certainly not, as you pointed out - we need healthy competition. Ford were the first ones to introduce many new features that are now standards in pickups. If, however, it can't sell its trucks and cars, other car makers won't hurry to catch up.

Thanks for that Plus, it looks like Toy has indeed made a quantum leap upward in their export numbers. The info does indeed support what you are saying.

It will be a loss if Ford is forced out of the market and hope that is not the case but as you stated, a case in point is the Korean vehicles. It is a well known fact that Ford is struggling financially and that usually means the chopping block for various divisions, hopefully it will not include Thailand. :o

I don't think it will exit the market completely like Koreans as it's integrated in Asean - Ford makes trucks here and cars in Philippines. Import dities in Asean are only 5%, nearly nothing.

Now, I completely forgot - what is new in this new Ford? Are there any features that we can expect in other trucks soon?

The Ford press releases are full of the usual adjectives: improved, quieter, stronger, smoother but I have not seen a plethora of innovations.

A couple that I did notice was the way Ford has opened up access to the extended cab via the use of a suicide type half door and the removal of the door pillar. Another would be the addition of the side air bags, but as always in Thailand, safety is an option (sadly) for those with the money as the side bags are only available on the top models.

The new common rail engines brings the truck in line with the competion but is obviously not an innovation.

Now, I completely forgot - what is new in this new Ford? Are there any features that we can expect in other trucks soon?

Side aribags? I think Ford was the first one to introduce passenger airbags. Now all Isuzus are fitted with them but still not Toyotas.

Rear-access panels were introduced long time ago. That was the first unlucky move for Ford as the Revenue Dept argued that they are doors and so should be taxed as four door pickups. Another move was ethanol compliant engine for Focus - they hoped to get a tax break but Thais put a break on that.