International tourist arrivals rise 15%

webfact

Ahhh, facts that go against the narrative some desperately wanted us all to believe. Must be time to denounce or discredit these facts.

Maybe the "Bank of Thailand" is in on the conspiracy as well!!

It must be Thaksin. No??

32 million tourists by year's end? Utterly preposterous, there simply aren't that many people outside of Thailand! tongue.png

It is projected that there will be 10 billion visitors for Christmas and New Year

Quite possible!. I remember about 10 years ago, in a discussion on global population increase that a mathematician demonstrated you could get everyone in the world in the Isle of Wight, if they were standing erect and had about 18 Inches square each. You might need Jersey now of course! (He was dead serious).clap2.gif

If you want to see the zero spenders, go to hostels, nearly all of them are farangs who backpack on 10$ a day.

Big ballers are Turkish, Arabs and Japanese.

Penny pinchers = Indians, British, French, Russians.

So you have a friend who has a bar and who has very reliable info,are you talking about yourself?,it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.

For Phuket I have heard from many long term expats who have been doing business there that it's been a very bad high season,the worst one in 25 years according to one of them.And then there was even an article in the Phuket gazette about how bad business had been,so this I think definitely confirms it.Of course a small number of businesses(in most cases Chinese owned)benefit from the massive influx of Chinese tourists but in most cases these Chinese are destroying the tourism industry for everyone else.

The article in the Bangkok post said that hotels are already lowering their rates in order to try to attract more customers and that this is an unusual move so early on in the year.So maybe the high season was not so good.

I have a business and so like to keep an eye on these things.

But look at the class of what is turning up ! One oilrig worker was worth 50 of these dregs of Calcutta, Bombay, and Peking sad.png

and they are making it so difficult for the oil workers to come here every second month to blow their wads of cash they are going else where. thailand is good in some respects for visas but why the hell would they be trying to keep out these guys.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

Anyone know where these tourists are? Any stories of overbooked hotels and resorts?

Edit: Never mind. I just read the end of the full article:

"The markets that showed improvements were: Cambodia (+43.94%); Hong Kong (+32.27%); Myanmar (+31.70%); China (+29.10%); Laos (+17.91%); Brunei (+14.82%); the Philippines (+10.86%); Malaysia (+8.82%); Singapore (+8.42%); Indonesia (+6.47%); Japan (+5.11%); South Korea (+3.05%); and Vietnam (+2.96%)."

Every country that sent more tourists is in east Asia or southeast Asia. By extension we may assume western countries sent fewer tourists.

I think it's safe to assume the average Cambodian "tourist" isn't spending as much as the western tourists that used to come here.

Are you sure that you read to the end of the article?

You seem to have missed this:

'Europe grew 12.70% from 560,964 visits to 632,223 visits. The markets that showed improvements were: Russia (+29.21%); Belgium (+27.00%); Ireland (+25.33%); Spain (+22.71%); the United Kingdom (+17.97%); Switzerland (+11.90%); France (+10.95%); Italy (+10.14%); Norway (+7.13%); East Europe (+6.67%); Germany (+6.47%); Sweden (+5.87%); Denmark (+5.86%); and the Netherlands (+1.38%). Finland and Austria were the only two markets showing declines of 6.91% and 1.80% respectively.'

Anyone know where these tourists are? Any stories of overbooked hotels and resorts?

"The markets that showed improvements were: Cambodia (+43.94%); Hong Kong (+32.27%); Myanmar (+31.70%); China (+29.10%); Laos (+17.91%); Brunei (+14.82%); the Philippines (+10.86%); Malaysia (+8.82%); Singapore (+8.42%); Indonesia (+6.47%); Japan (+5.11%); South Korea (+3.05%); and Vietnam (+2.96%)."

Every country that sent more tourists is in east Asia or southeast Asia. By extension we may assume western countries sent fewer tourists.

I think it's safe to assume the average Cambodian "tourist" isn't spending as much as the western tourists that used to come here.

'Europe grew 12.70% from 560,964 visits to 632,223 visits. The markets that showed improvements were: Russia (+29.21%); Belgium (+27.00%); Ireland (+25.33%); Spain (+22.71%); the United Kingdom (+17.97%); Switzerland (+11.90%); France (+10.95%); Italy (+10.14%); Norway (+7.13%); East Europe (+6.67%); Germany (+6.47%); Sweden (+5.87%); Denmark (+5.86%); and the Netherlands (+1.38%). Finland and Austria were the only two markets showing declines of 6.91% and 1.80% respectively.'

My browser missed that. When I originally clicked on the link it only loaded to the point with Asia tourist numbers.

So now we're back to my original question; where are all these tourists hiding?

Up north there are plenty of Chinese, mostly traveling in groups and only going where their guides take them. Guesthouses and hotels, those that don't have an arrangement with a Chinese guide, are hurting for business.

Cheap China packages, not bringing

Much money to Thailand...using all

Resources, jamming streets and

Polluting everything.

First couple of years will be relatively good for local Thai businesses after that its chinese tourists paying Chinese businesses

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I came into swampy two weeks ago at passport control empty. Each passport check point had a queue of 1 person. This was at around 4pm.

In Pattaya for four days loads of Russian. In jomtien beach area restaurants vurtually empty each night though night market is popular.

Quality accomodation plentiful and cheap.

Ahhh, facts that go against the narrative some desperately wanted us all to believe. Must be time to denounce or discredit these facts.

I offer a similar chart from http://ieconomics.com/thailand-tourist-arrivals-forecast

Travellers (not just tourists) seem to peak about the same time every year.

attachicon.gifTouristArrivals2016.jpg

Quite correct. Around xmas the tourist numbers always rise which is predictable. Just as predictably tourist numbers went to a record low just before the military intervened to save the industry in 2014.

I just look at facts. I don't go to a hotel and see if the hotel room next to me is vacant. If tourist numbers went down I would have to accept that. I would not denounce the facts. I would admit I was wrong. Unfortunately a few here won't admit that even when not only facts, but logic dictates otherwise.

I am sure global economists do not count tourist buses or vacant hotel rooms. They look at a countries offical figures. Those figures which I provided.

Edited by djjamie

Australia didn't even make list. My dad owns a travel agency in Melbourne which is part of a major chain and he says you can't give away holidays to Thailand which was once a major destination for Aussies. Bali, Vietnam, Cambodia and the Pacific Islands are the places for affordable holidays.

Really Jamie what industry did the present lot save?

You must be one of the few people on this forum that believes everything that the present rulers say!

Facts,and figures, are distorted for general domestic consumption, and the odd believer who doesn't need AA because they are brainwashed!

Lol so many jealous westerners here. Do you people realize that china has 2.3 million dollar millionaires? Not all chinese tourists coming in are cheap charlies.

Very true, BUT they don't come to Thailand, at least not many. Where are the facilities that cater for these millionaires? There are some nice hotels, yes but not enough. Many other countries can offer far more "luxury" and red carpet treatment then Thailand.

From what I can see the Chinese tourist coming here (to Pattaya / Jomtien) are normal working people, they all seem to come in tour groups and are walking behind someone holding a flag, so not millionaires. I see hoards going to the duty free shop and then to "Rubberland" (whatever that is) and then on to some Chinese restaurant that only seems to cater for Chinese coaches. None of these people are the millionaires you elude to.

"" business quiet darling hotel half full now""

Business degree hotel receptionist .

Bar owner

"" dead mate""

Brother

"" not many tourists very relaxed"

These people are all telling me a different prospective to the official figures.

What's possible is the Chinese are not flooding the streets of Chiang Mai presently , drinking in bars or staying in 4 star hotels.

And indeed tourism is booming?

Another explanation is a military government are loose with truth?

Polls that claim overwhelming if not greater popularity than Jesus Christ on the mount .

We spend minutes hours a day trying to detect what's real or right or wrong.

Isn't it time we accepted that their reality and ours are different?

Thais need to keep face.

Not say "" we were dumb getting rid of the Farangs "

Hotels are usually a sign of the state of tourism .

A quality hotel in a major tourist destination simply maintains above 60% in good times

60-75% busy times

75-90% peak times

Even occasionally reaches no rooms status.

It's not even May and the stories I am getting is numbers are falling off fast.

If the Thai government are so arrogant to announce good times while the suffering of poor trade continues then its pointless debating it.

Let them eat grass and have their fantasies of the Thai greatness.

I can't wait until Australia and Japan knocks them out of the World Cup qualifiers .

What beaten by Farangs ?

Edited by Plutojames88

I offer a similar chart from http://ieconomics.com/thailand-tourist-arrivals-forecast

Travellers (not just tourists) seem to peak about the same time every year.

attachicon.gifTouristArrivals2016.jpg

Quite correct. Around xmas the tourist numbers always rise which is predictable. Just as predictably tourist numbers went to a record low just before the military intervened to save the industry in 2014.

I just look at facts. I don't go to a hotel and see if the hotel room next to me is vacant. If tourist numbers went down I would have to accept that. I would not denounce the facts. I would admit I was wrong. Unfortunately a few here won't admit that even when not only facts, but logic dictates otherwise.

I am sure global economists do not count tourist buses or vacant hotel rooms. They look at a countries offical figures. Those figures which I provided.

What people are commenting on is that the facts reported by the Thai government don't match the facts on the ground. Many people have commented on empty hotels and guest houses, no one has identified tourist dependent businesses that are doing well. Where are these tourists and who are they benefiting?