TOT upgrade to 20 MB. Tenda modem no longer works

Ken

A couple days ago TOT came to the house with a new ZyXEL modem router and free upgrade from 10 MB to 20 MB. I previously was using a Tenda modem router (N300 ADSL2+/3/G). The Technicians said that the Tenda would not work anymore. Anyway, I let them install the ZyXEL and all is fine. However, I would still like to be able to use the Tenda as a backup or for troubleshooting, in case the ZyXEL fails. So I tried to reconnect the Tenda and indeed, I cannot get an internet connection. No settings in the Tenda have been changed and the wifi works fine. Just can no longer connect to the internet. Reconnecting the ZyXEL all is fine again. Anyone have any idea why the Tenda can no longer work?

Model of the Zyxel router?

Judging from the new speed, it's more likely that they might have switched you to VDSL.. so your old router which was on ADSL might not work..

Just my 2 satang.

Thanks for that. I suspect that you may be right. I phoned the TOT help center and they seemed to indicate something like what you said. They did say if I bring the Tenda modem in to there service center they would check it out for me.

The model of the Zyxel modem router is: VMG1302-T10A.

Judging from the new speed, it's more likely that they might have switched you to VDSL.. so your old router which was on ADSL might not work..

Just my 2 satang.

Thanks for that. I suspect that you may be right. I phoned the TOT help center and they seemed to indicate something like what you said. They did say if I bring the Tenda modem in to there service center they would check it out for me.

The Zyxel router is indeed a VDSL router.

As such, TOT have switched you onto VDSL. Your old Tenda modem, which is only meant for ADSL, will not work..

If you're concerned with the reliability of the Zyxel, which personally I do not have good experience with, I will head out to buy another VDSL router/modem.. Try TP-link..

Just my 2 satang.

The Zyxel router is indeed a VDSL router.

As such, TOT have switched you onto VDSL. Your old Tenda modem, which is only meant for ADSL, will not work..

If you're concerned with the reliability of the Zyxel, which personally I do not have good experience with, I will head out to buy another VDSL router/modem.. Try TP-link..

Thanks for the info. I have no previous experience with the Zyxel. But I do plan to take your advice and get a spare VDSL modem router.

You should be able to use the old unit as a WiFi access point if you want better coverage. I have two old units attached to my currently turned off fttx unit (which is in corner of home so not good location for WiFi). Have them attached by cable. Just have to set up with DHCP turned off so they use your new router. Have both my external units with same name/password and units connect to the best one. You can change last number of address if you want to be able to control without disconnection - just remember which is which and passwords.

Archived