Skip Phuket?

ev1lchris

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of water, beaches, bars, girls, jungles, Bhuddas, temples and and and as far as I remember (from 1995).

Are you serious or just trolling to ask about one of the most popular tourist destinations in Thailand?

Edited by KhunBENQ

I'm concerned about the safety too.

I don't want to get beat up by a Thai gang!

What a pathetic comment !

I have been here for many tears and have never been "beat up" by a Thai gang.

If you are one that attracts or looks for trouble then stay away!

edit

Removed typo

Edited by johnatong

Give it a try now, then you'll never have to go again, later on ? rolleyes.gif

I can just imagine the average poor working-farang's reaction ... "OMG they're forcing me to go to Phuket for a holiday !" ... we sometimes forget that many of us live year-round in a country most people can only aspire to visit for a week or two, once in their lives. smile.png

20 years ago it was fine. Too many farang now.

I was on some islands there last week. I swear the tourists consisted of at least 90% Chinese and a few farangs. The place was awash with them. re there any islands in the south that don't have many tourists?

Depends on your budget. You could stay in one of those plush all inclusive resorts and have no fears, or slum it in a backpackers hostel and take a few risks.

I've been twice, first time was low budget at a hostel in Chalong Bay, the On-On Hotel in Pukhet Town, then a boarding house in Patong. All a great new experience, but having been there and done that my next visit was to somewhere a little more upmarket, and a while world away from my first experience.

If you want to avoid a beating I'd stay away from the streets of many bars. Even in Patong I could walk to a beach front bar from my room without any worries.

Every destination depends on what you're looking for out of the trip. We've stayed in the Naka Phuket Villa Resort (I think that's the name) in one of 6 or so private beach front villa suites. Very high main entrance and suite security, private lap pool,outdoor bathtub, housekeeping twice a day etc.

No need to leave if you choose not to so it could've been in a war zone and we'd have enjoyed the stay but that's not for us.

We rent a motorbike for the week wherever we go and avoid the transportation scams, choose our times to go for local food,shopping and sight seeing.

We also stay in 900baht per night rooms with barely enough room to turn around in and have a great time together.

Is there an intercollegiate inexpensive place by the beach?

What's that in English?

There's loads of travel shops around that do day trips. Go there and check out the brochures. There's heaps to do.

Is there an intercollegiate inexpensive place by the beach?

What's that in English?

There's loads of travel shops around that do day trips. Go there and check out the brochures. There's heaps to do.

He is using that word to avoid saying he is looking for a cheap back-packer place !

I'm concerned about the safety too.

I don't want to get beat up by a Thai gang!

Stay in your own house, and dont ever come out anymore.

And keep skyping your mum every day.

And wash behind your ears ,and change your underwear each day... mummy won't be happy if your not clean...

And keep a copy of Paddington Besr by your bedside locker...

For the life of me, I don't know why anyone goes to Phuket other than Thais taking advantage of and scamming first time tourists in every way imaginable.

My son arrived (a few years ago) as a "first time tourist" He and his wife even explored the island on their own.

Why were they not "scammed" by every Thai person they met ?

Your imagination is playing tricks on you ------------------------best lay of that Chang !

Good that you're there, in my opinion. At least this way, you'll know from your own experience what the place is like.

For me, one night in Phuket was enough. The part I was staying in felt like a vaguely civilised version of WW1, civilised in the sense that there was no bloodshed, at least that I saw, but there were waves of incoming tourists (Russians, Australians, Americans, Europeans) and a very pissed off defending army of Thai restaurant staff.

Fortunately, it was easy enough to rent a car and get the hell out of the place for a few days, and explore other destinations.

...back in 1981 I stayed at Kata beach a night in a hut for 50 THB, the owner sold "Thaisticks" for 10 Baht each at the gate in the evening. I went out with fishermen and worked with them, and could have a fish of my choice prepared at the beach restaurant for free. I paid for the vegetables though.

When these times come back, I will be back to Phuket.

Today everything in Phuket is concrete, privat, or hotel-owned beaches and the prices are insane. Just forget about it. There are other still unspoiled places on this earth, like the peninsula of York (Australia), or the Mosquito Coast in Nicaragua.

Live here and love the island, though you can have Patong. As for heat....I was up near Sara Buri and it was 105 degrees in the shade. So I returned to my house on the beach on the island where there are nice sea breezes, and I can swim in water that is the same temp as the air. For all the people who cannot stand Phuket, please stay away as we are happy without you. And for the guy who saw one farang forty years ago, move to Sara Buri as I usually only see one farang a day there and that is in Lotus. Time for my evening swim and ease my shoulders after typing....grin! Cheers.