Continuous social network use may indicate behavioral addictions, warns physicians

webfact

Continuous social network use may indicate behavioral addictions, warns physicians

NONTHABURI, 29 April 2016 (NNT) – Prolonged use of social network over 3 hours each day is a sign of behavioral addiction, a new disease to be categorized by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a mental disease, says DMH.

The Department of Mental Health’s (DMH) Senior Expert Head of Advisor Group Yongyud Wongpiromsarn has revealed new symptoms found among Thai workers that may be considered as behavioral addictions, caused from unrelieved accumulated stress.

He said behavioral addictions are being considered by the World Health Organization to be categorized as one of the mental illnesses in the new diagnosis guidelines, which will be announced next year. Thailand will be implementing the new guidelines to diagnose mental conditions among Thai workers to determine the severity of each individual's behavioral addictions.

Behavioral addiction symptoms include prolonged use of social media for over 3 hours each day, which might cause disturbance to work and focus. Persons exhibiting these symptoms may be required to receive counselling from mental health clinics, which are available at all hospitals.

Mr. Yongyud adds that the most common mental complications found among Thai workers include anxiety and depression, while the use of legal addictive substances such as tobacco and alcohol also contribute to the accumulation of stress and risk of violent behaviours.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-29 footer_n.gif

"Prolonged use of social network over 3 hours each day is a sign of behavioral addiction..."

However there seems to be a built in cure. Texting and talking on social networks while crossing intersections and operating a motor vehicle will end the addiction by way of death. Unfortunately, the death toll will never reach 1.3 billion.

Prolonged use of social network over 3 hours each day is a sign of behavioral addiction, a new disease to be categorized by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a mental disease, says DMH.

Prolonged use of social network ...is a sign of...mental disease.

OH MY GOD! Does this include Thai Visa use? I think Thai Visa is fomenting a legion of sociopaths! I need to talk to my friends of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to see if I've been corrupted by TV . . . crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

Yer in good company here Frank.cheesy.gif

I certainly have behavioral addictions , some I don't intend to part with , however I do have a problem with the social network , as I can't wait to let all my worldly friends ( 3 ) all about the Junta's TV moment " Happiness to the People " I just gush with happiness as I send messages all over the globe promoting this well produced programme , I am now hoping that Sky and Fox take it up on cable , then the world can see for themselves, have a happy day General......................cheesy.gif

When you look at today's state of being hooked on media and cell phones, imagine what it will be like in 25 years.

Insensitive zombies are inhabiting this planet.

In China: special one-way lanes for cell phone users.

Some (influential) folks like it that way. It is scary as hell.