Dubai layover?

Spaniel

Wife and I plan on a trip to the USA in August and will probably fly on Emirate AL, Bangkok/Dubai/Dulles. Since we have never been to Dubai I'm thinking it might be worth a overnight stop. Has anyone done this recently and what was your experience? Will we need a visa, wife is Thai I USA? Thanks for any suggestions.

On an overnighter, you won't be able to do much other than transit and sleep. I would do at least a couple of days. Plenty of spectacular sightseeing to do. The shopping malls are an experience in themselves even if you don't like shopping. Jumeira Beach and The Walk are nice, but quite hot now until later in the year. Anyone can layover for up to four days:

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/96-hour-transit-visa-for-all-airline-passengers-at-uae-airports-2015-09-20-1.604073

Take a look at your flight times, allow for check-in and transport from airport to hotel and return. How may hours would a one night stopover give you not forgetting sleeping?

On an overnighter, you won't be able to do much other than transit and sleep. I would do at least a couple of days. Plenty of spectacular sightseeing to do. The shopping malls are an experience in themselves even if you don't like shopping. Jumeira Beach and The Walk are nice, but quite hot now until later in the year. Anyone can layover for up to four days:

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/96-hour-transit-visa-for-all-airline-passengers-at-uae-airports-2015-09-20-1.604073

agree, couple of days at least, (Dubai beats Dulles anytime)

above some OK places are mentioned, I'll add The Creek, love that part of Dubai.

If you have time, hire a car and go to Fujeira on the indian ocean coast , or to R'as al Khaima in the north. They are both less developed and traces of the old Gulf are still plentiful. Both are a day trip from Dubai.

I flown into Dubai on Emirates a good number of times and it never took more than 15-20 minutes to get through immigration, usually about 5.

If you can't wait, they have a good immigration express service for a fee. Also, if you fly business or are Skywards Gold you get fast-track.

Were I going to do it I would just book a package with Emirates.

It will indeed be a hot mama-jammer!

Worked there for a while and I found it to be very boring. Good if you like a concrete jungle but not a lot to do or see without getting out of the city. Would be better going via Doha. It is smaller and you get get into the shopping / Souk (market) areas easily. Plus you can have a coffee and meal as you watch the world go by. One night is not really a stop over more like a transit.

Mall of the Emirates is probably the best thing in Dubai and that is just a big shopping mall

Edited by gandalf12