Will My iPhone 6 Work in USA?

I have an iPhone 6 that I bought at one of the little shops in MBK a while back. It's "unlocked," so I only had to get DTAC to make a micro SIM for it and pop it in and it worked. (I have no contract with DTAC; I "top up" my minutes periodically via my SCB Bank account online, which is quite convenient. BTW, I rarely turn on cell data.)

I think they said it originally came from Hong Kong. I'm going to the USA soon. Do you know if I can use my iPhone 6 in the US? Will I need to buy a SIM card from someone like T-Mobile or AT&T? Ideally, I just buy a SIM card, pop it in, and now I have a US telephone number. Or, do you think I'd have to get into an expensive contract? Or, because it's from Asia, it won't even work? Pay-as-you-go would be ideal, if possible.

Your iPhone 6 (A1549) will work in the U.S.A. (on LTE, GSM and W/CDMA networks) assuming you get a Nano SIM, activate it, subscribe to a plan (pre-paid, no contract, PAYG) and have coverage. Your DTAC SIM will roam in the U.S.A., assuming you have activated International Roaming (*118*9# SEND), but it will be quite expensive.

In the U.S.A. both the calling and called parties pay.

The phone scene in the U.S.A. has changed quite a bit over the past few years making it a bit simpler, and there are many, many, many MVNOs that allow you to BYOD, and resell service on AT&T, T-Mobile Verizon and Sprint.

A specific recommendation would depend on length of stay, data requirements, exact location(s), budget.

T-Mobile, either directly or via one of their MVNOs like StraightTalk or Simple, might be the best option. It is pretty easy to get an unlimited calling, text and data (1.5 - 3 GB) in the $40 - $50 range for 30 days. T-Mo as some daily options as well.

You can get a 3 way SIM with activation code for free from T-Mo (use the freesim promo code) https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/t-mobile-3-in-1-sim-starter-kit.html , or on eBay for $5. You need to be in the U.S.A. to activate this, but it can all be done on line easily.