IOS and Android SOS alarm app for expats and tourists

KamalaRider

I seriously considering creating an app for IOS and Android after the recent and past violence towards tourists and expats.

The app would be in two parts, one for summon multiple people before/during or after an attack to show solidarity for the attacked person, a map where the SOS call comes from and also identity in form of a tag name/real name (not sure if people want to display their real name).

The SOS goes out to all of the people on that particular list but it's important that this app will be used strictly as a tool to protect and serve.

Therefore it will be possible to report a list if a crime is done with the app so there will be no hidden identity for users.

The other part would be to locate friends when going out if they happen to "stray", just to be able to stick together and not lose a friend in a crowd and such.

Only referred people would get into the list and different lists depending on the location but one user could be a member of multiple lists, automatic/manual switch of lists depending on the location of the GPS phone/list member.

Be used by other list members to track down a stolen phone/missing person.

A list would have a designated admin to take care of list membership and monitoring the use of the list.

Would anyone have use for this app?

Please just let me know so I can value this effort as the app would be for free with no ads or other disturbing third party crap.

Edited by KamalaRider

I think it would be a good idea if it was a one touch thing ,I will go to help a elderly person or a vulnerable person in need if I was near and was able ,always safety in numbers here ,if the odds are 4 to 1 Thais are far more manly than 2 to 1

I like the idea and effort, however, I don't see this app going anywhere for the following reasons ( please keep in mind that I do not want to discourage you or talk down on your idea. I'm just giving my input on the "Contra" side ).

1. It will be abused. How many parents let their kids use their phones and kids pushing buttons randomly. I also think when people are drunk will abuse the app.

2. In an emergency situation ie the Hua Hin attack...would they have time or even think about the app in the heat of the moment? I sure didn't see them pull out the phone to call for help. And the ones that pulled out their phones did it to record the "event" ( which just brings me to an idea...I'll mention it further down )

3. I would not make the app for expats and tourist, but for the english speaking community ( maybe make a few more common languages available ). It should also target / allow Thais that speak english. You wouldn't want to create a foreigners vs thais atmosphere.

These are the few things that i see why the app wouldn't work as intended.

An idea that I just had: how about an app that when opened, automatically starts recording ( voice or camera...user can choose in settings ), runs in the background and sends a gps signal to a pre entered E-Mail / phone number.

But again, in emergency who thinks of opening up an app?

I like the idea and effort, however, I don't see this app going anywhere for the following reasons ( please keep in mind that I do not want to discourage you or talk down on your idea. I'm just giving my input on the "Contra" side ).

1. It will be abused. How many parents let their kids use their phones and kids pushing buttons randomly. I also think when people are drunk will abuse the app.

2. In an emergency situation ie the Hua Hin attack...would they have time or even think about the app in the heat of the moment? I sure didn't see them pull out the phone to call for help. And the ones that pulled out their phones did it to record the "event" ( which just brings me to an idea...I'll mention it further down )

3. I would not make the app for expats and tourist, but for the english speaking community ( maybe make a few more common languages available ). It should also target / allow Thais that speak english. You wouldn't want to create a foreigners vs thais atmosphere.

An idea that I just had: how about an app that when opened, automatically starts recording ( voice or camera...user can choose in settings ), runs in the background and sends a gps signal to a pre entered E-Mail / phone number.

I like critique but I love creative critique more.

Thanks for your input.

1. I too think the app would be abused, maybe by kids and drunks, but also by mistakenly pressing a button, that's what people do sometimes, mistakes.

The app I have in mind would trigger on different things, one thing I'm investigating is rapid movement of the phone and higher than usual G-force combined, like a person falling over, hitting the ground or bathtub or ???.

But also what 'whatproblem' mentioned. A one touch thing, or press the power button three times i rapid sequence. Still trying to figure out key requirements for the app.

2. Maybe not the family themselves, but perhaps a bystander would?

3. It was really sloppy of me to mention expats and tourists as a segregated unity. If this app would be of any use for anyone, Thai people would have even more use for it, or Lao girls, or wives of abusing husbands, or just an alarm raiser for people to gather regardless of the occasion, like music festivals when people wait for a specific band but in the meantime attends another scene and all of a sudden the bands shows up too early. I'm just spit balling here now. I can foresee numerous of uses.

The app might not stop an immediate attack, but what I'm thinking, it might stop an attack progressing from bad into worse.

Maybe even the option to have an audio alarm, like a police whistle tone or why not a siren could be an option.

It would be very easy to get the app work with video, audio, gps (if being outdoors), everything preset from settings when an alarm is triggered.

If I decide to go through with the app, it would be in English only at first.

There would be a server that people has to login to with their username (phone number and an alias name) and password so as soon as the app alarm is activated, the information would be sent directly to that server for later retrieval and also to roam the alarm to people on a list or/and location, haven't figured out yet what popularity this app would have for it to be effective enough, of course there has to be at least 4 or more people on that list, but also again what 'whatproblem' mentioned, the app could also very well suited to elderly people to raise an alarm if they get attacked or abused, have a bad fall or get sick acutely.

Edited by KamalaRider

Good idea lots of SOS apps out ther all ready problem you have is a tourist won't have list of friends in thailand. And xpats friends won't want to get involved. But good luck

If the phone was off any value it would be nicked so not much use !!

Plus the chances of setting it off before during and possibly after would be also a non starter. Most attacks are random or sudden against the victim so you wouldn't get near your phone before being knocked down etc.

A panic type alarm that sets off a signal off location etc via GPS is the answer. But it would have to have a twist press lock to activate it to stop it going off easily and im sure they probably exist already but are for the rich and ran by companies that charge a lot for it.

Good idea lots of SOS apps out ther all ready problem you have is a tourist won't have list of friends in thailand. And xpats friends won't want to get involved. But good luck

I have tried some of them and they are inadequate as they most often rely on SMS alarm raising only.

The whole idea is that if you are in a specific position, your "friends" list together with the location position list would summon people to stand by the person who got attacked, not getting involved in a fight.

By letting thugs know the person/s they attack, have raised an alarm, they might out of concern for being noticed and outnumbered stop that attack.

Edited by KamalaRider

I have tried some of them and they are inadequate as they most often rely on SMS alarm raising only.

The whole idea is that if you are in a specific position, your "friends" list together with the location position list would summon people to stand by the person who got attacked, not getting involved in a fight.

By letting thugs know the person/s they attack, have raised an alarm, they might out of concern for being noticed and outnumbered stop that attack.

thank you for reply. To stand by person? ? By the time get there attack would be finished how would people or person attacking know you have summoned help.

Plus the chances of setting it off before during and possibly after would be also a non starter. Most attacks are random or sudden against the victim so you wouldn't get near your phone before being knocked down etc.

A panic type alarm that sets off a signal off location etc via GPS is the answer. But it would have to have a twist press lock to activate it to stop it going off easily and im sure they probably exist already but are for the rich and ran by companies that charge a lot for it.

This is one benefit of the app, others can trace the app in real time, don't need to be activated with an alarm, it will pump out locations of where everyone are.

A list member could then track the other phone stolen.

Edited by KamalaRider

thank you for reply. To stand by person? ? By the time get there attack would be finished how would people or person attacking know you have summoned help.

An audio alarm from the phone.

This is one benefit of the app, others can trace the app in real time, don't need to be activated with an alarm, it will pump out locations of where everyone are.

That then sounds like an app for tracking a phone that is lost or stolen. Plenty of them already .

That then sounds like an app for tracking a phone that is lost or stolen. Plenty of them already .

An app doesn't always have only one purpose.

Edited by KamalaRider

Statistically speaking, one would forget they had the app before they ever would need it. Unless of course, they are a raving paranoid worried that every Thai is on the verge of attacking them every time they go out in public.

TH

I don't really understand how it would work. A phone that makes a noise or flashes colours isn't going to deter anyone who's angry enough to attack someone. Alerting your friends- or people who happen to be on the list with you- also isn't going to be that feasible in the event of an assault.

I mean, yeah, I can see how it would work. Person A is getting into trouble so he sends out an alert. His friends receive the alert and head for him. But considering how rare street assaults are in Thailand it's more likely that people would forget to activate the app when they go out. Or is it something that's going to be always on, meaning you can be tracked wherever you are..?

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but considering the low level of violence and assaults, it's a small market you're aiming at, and I', not sure it'd therefore be particularly effective as either a deterrent or a means of assistance.

Like your "avatar" and the detailed and very down to the point list of counter arguments - well done NiwPix!!!! thumbsup.gif

I think it's a good idea and I think the basic functionality you outlined sounds good. It doesn't need to be Thailand-tourist specific, or even tourist specific for that matter. I don't think you'd be able to sell it directly but I can imagine a number of ways you could make it feasible for yourself as a vendor while still offering it as a free-to-consumers app. PM me if you're looking for help

I too think it's a great idea and good luck to the OP with it.

I think though in the Hua Hin case they certainly would have had time to use such an App. If I remember correctly, after the son got the initial clout, the Father and Mother were walking back and forth "breasting" the culprits....an ideal opportunity to apply the App before proceeding further. I think people would take the time to use it before confronting anybody if it existed.

The app would be in two parts, one for summon multiple people before/during or after an attack to show solidarity for the attacked person, a map where the SOS call comes from and also identity in form of a tag name/real name (not sure if people want to display their real name).

The SOS goes out to all of the people on that particular list but it's important that this app will be used strictly as a tool to protect and serve.

Imagine this in Pattaya, it's basically an invite for an all out, wild west saloon type bar brawl between a bunch of Thais and farangs.

biggrin.png

Thanks for your input.

1. I too think the app would be abused, maybe by kids and drunks, but also by mistakenly pressing a button, that's what people do sometimes, mistakes.

The app I have in mind would trigger on different things, one thing I'm investigating is rapid movement of the phone and higher than usual G-force combined, like a person falling over, hitting the ground or bathtub or ???.

But also what 'whatproblem' mentioned. A one touch thing, or press the power button three times i rapid sequence. Still trying to figure out key requirements for the app.

3. It was really sloppy of me to mention expats and tourists as a segregated unity. If this app would be of any use for anyone, Thai people would have even more use for it, or Lao girls, or wives of abusing husbands, or just an alarm raiser for people to gather regardless of the occasion, like music festivals when people wait for a specific band but in the meantime attends another scene and all of a sudden the bands shows up too early. I'm just spit balling here now. I can foresee numerous of uses.

The app might not stop an immediate attack, but what I'm thinking, it might stop an attack progressing from bad into worse.

Maybe even the option to have an audio alarm, like a police whistle tone or why not a siren could be an option.

It would be very easy to get the app work with video, audio, gps (if being outdoors), everything preset from settings when an alarm is triggered.

There would be a server that people has to login to with their username (phone number and an alias name) and password so as soon as the app alarm is activated, the information would be sent directly to that server for later retrieval and also to roam the alarm to people on a list or/and location, haven't figured out yet what popularity this app would have for it to be effective enough, of course there has to be at least 4 or more people on that list, but also again what 'whatproblem' mentioned, the app could also very well suited to elderly people to raise an alarm if they get attacked or abused, have a bad fall or get sick acutely.

You have some good points and something to work with.

It seems like you really know programming ( g-force / movement etc. ). That may have opened a new can of worms :). I do not know what is possible or to what extend, so I will through some ideas out. Also, I am an iPhone / iOS user ( not jail broken ), so I am not sure if my idea(s) will also work for android.

When you mentioned g-force and testing things out and / or certain button combinations.

Idea: if the phone drops or is exposed to a lot of unusual pressure, is it possible to maybe have Siri start up and ask a simple question i.e.: do you need help? Do you want me to open your application "name of your emergency app"?

How about activating the app when the silent button is switched on and off two times within 2 seconds or so? Problem with that would be if somebody has a bully case like a battery case.

Or activating the app pushing the sleep/wake button 2-3 times within 2 seconds?

I do have some idea for the actual app, however I think the first and very important step is to find a convenient and easy way to activate / access the app.

Hi, you might try to look at Samsung's latest effort on the S7, by quickly pressing the power button 3 consecutive times quickly the phone will send an emergency alert to predefined contacts that you choose. I believe it also sends a map with your GPS position, a short recording that starts after you pressed the button and photos taken from rear and front of the cameras on the phone.

Hi, you might try to look at Samsung's latest effort on the S7, by quickly pressing the power button 3 consecutive times quickly the phone will send an emergency alert to predefined contacts that you choose. I believe it also sends a map with your GPS position, a short recording that starts after you pressed the button and photos taken from rear and front of the cameras on the phone.

Oh really, sounds very interesting. I have to check out S7 because that's close enough to what I aim for.

I can't give useful critique but can offer thx and encouragement and willingness to participate.

If I launch the development of this app, I would really like to have some participants, so thanks for the offer.

Thanks for your input.

You have some good points and something to work with.

It seems like you really know programming ( g-force / movement etc. ). That may have opened a new can of worms smile.png. I do not know what is possible or to what extend, so I will through some ideas out. Also, I am an iPhone / iOS user ( not jail broken ), so I am not sure if my idea(s) will also work for android.

When you mentioned g-force and testing things out and / or certain button combinations.

Idea: if the phone drops or is exposed to a lot of unusual pressure, is it possible to maybe have Siri start up and ask a simple question i.e.: do you need help? Do you want me to open your application "name of your emergency app"?

How about activating the app when the silent button is switched on and off two times within 2 seconds or so? Problem with that would be if somebody has a bully case like a battery case.

Or activating the app pushing the sleep/wake button 2-3 times within 2 seconds?

I do have some idea for the actual app, however I think the first and very important step is to find a convenient and easy way to activate / access the app.

I'm celebrating my 30th anniversary as a commercial programmer this year, so I can say I do have some knowledge and experience in programming whatever device you can think off. :)

When it comes to Apple and Samsung, I don't think they have a device that can sense physical pressure, I know some models have an air pressure sensor. And I don't know if the Thai and chinese knockoffs has all the sensors Samsung and Apple crams into their phones.

The app I have in mind will start when the phone starts, be lurking in the background until either the GUI (graphical user interface) is started or rapid press of a physical button (any button as it's a settings thing for the user) three times. The GUI will also pop up when a list friend trigger his/hers alarm with the location on google map and who it is, sitting here spinning thoughts, would be a great idea to broadcast video/audio from the alarm triggered device with possibility to record the incoming broadcast. All about bandwidth though.

Didn't find Shouting for Android, but I found HelpMe.

Has the basic features I have been talking about.

I will test this app and get back with my findings as soon as possible.

I do have one issue already though, the app sends out a numerous of SMS's on alert and it's way to easy to trigger the alarm, just shake the phone and the alarm goes off.