Germany pushes for European army

Germany is pushing for a European army in the 28-member EU bloc, according to a white paper put forward by the German government. The army is envisaged to have a joint headquarters and shared military plans.

The news may upset the Brexit debate in the UK ahead of the EU referendum vote scheduled for 23 June. The Leave campaign, which has been warning of the further integration with the EU, will now have more ammunition to back its claims.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/germany-pushes-european-army-1557866?awt_l=73knf&awt_m=ggeVelwkrGbOvKU&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=rss

Wow - this is huge. Even as an Aussie I can see the reasons UK might leave the EU - but stay in NATO. The EU lead by Germany to have its own Army??

Quote: the white paper was to have been released shortly before the 23 June referendum but has probably been delayed to July

They have decided (wisely) to release it after the UK referendum. Now it has leaked I will be extremely interested in seeing the response from Germany and France (and David) over the next few days.

Anyone still think that David didn't campaign for Scotland to remain in UK so that he could get their votes in the EU referendum??

2016 - what a year this will be for us political junkies - entertainment at its best. POTUS and BREXIT as the headliners. Undercards like RUSSIA/UKRAINE and BRAZIL (Olympics?) and TURKEY/GREECE (after UK leaves) and CHINA (recover or burn). Warmups like: the outcomes in the Philipines, and an minor election in the Colonies (Aust).

Staying in NATO is not a bad thing, but what did it do to look after the Ukraine?

I think a EU army is a bad idea, having served my full career in HM Forces (Army) I believe that it would be detrimental to UK Forces

Those that served in Germany during the cold war should remember this well.

What was perceived to be one of the biggest weaknesses of the Soviet Army ?

Language barrier.

An EU Army would be no different.

For differing reasons this would be a waste of time, effort and money. That is before I even get to differing standards.

• 4 weeks later...