made in Thailand canned juice - how much sugar ?

prk888

thanks for the various inputs stoneyboy, very much appreciated

Can you or anyone tell me if 18g of sugar in 1.2L of canned juice is high (bad) or low ? Thanks again

If there really is only 18g of sugar in 1.2L Brook grapefruit juice then that would be very low compared to other juices so I suspect the figure given may be for 200ml, not 1200ml.

If there is no data on the can then in Thailand it often means the amount is high, same with products that omit the amount of salt.

Malee 100% pineapple juice has 10.5g per 100ml (126g per 1.2L), other varieties like orange or apple are higher still, which is why many people now drink 50% juice/50% water to reduce their sugar intake.

Lots of fruit juice and fruit juice drinks contain sugar in similar amounts to what you get with Coca Cola.

Many reports on how much juice people should drink now, suggest only 1 small glass per day. Better to eat the fruit and let the sugar release in to your system slowly rather than the big hit you get downing a large glass of juice in a few seconds as many people do.

Edited by kkerry

many thanks KK and based on stoneyboy's details above (post #3) do you reckon it's a 200ml container? Sounds like I've been deluding myself about it's health-worth. Good advice going 50:50 with water, so thanks again

When you Google grapefruit juice sugar content, the figures given are slightly lower than for pineapple juice so 200ml would seem more like it. I don't drink it but grapefruit juice apparently is better for you than some other juices. I used to down a litre of ice cold guava juice most days and it's probably one of the reasons I was well on the way to becoming diabetic. I cut that out, along with a bunch of other things and haven't had any trouble keeping my weight stable since. If you mix your juice with water do it gradually over a couple of weeks and you will get used to the change in taste more easily. Some people drink 10/90% but you may as well just drink plain water if you need to go that low.