Water filter advice needed.

TBWG

Hi

Has anyone had any experience of this type of water filter? If so are they any good?

Also in the grand scheme of things where do they fit, i.e. before the tank, after the tank before the pump, after the pump.

Plus any other advice learnt by personal experience. Of the filter that is! wink.png

Thanks.

TBWG wai.gif

post-24662-0-77951800-1462539549_thumb.j

Our municipal water has gotten extremely bad as of late - so bad that it overcame our 3 stage whole house filtration system. We recently installed a 5 foot tank-like sediment filter similar to your photo containing (1/3 of each) pebbles, sand and carbon pellets. That seems to have done the trick. The municipal water comes into the 5 foot sediment filter, then goes through our 3 stage whole house system, then into a 1,000 liter storage tank, then pumped through the house as needed.

Hope that helps.

We have used similar backwashable filters for decades. They would normally go in circuit before your storage tank, and they work extremely well - so long as you remember to backwash them weekly, and replace the filter media every few years.

We have used similar backwashable filters for decades. They would normally go in circuit before your storage tank, and they work extremely well - so long as you remember to backwash them weekly, and replace the filter media every few years.

MAKRO - 6 liter good water 26 bath

Tesco - 6 liter same good water

why buy such filter because do u know what comes out ?

and price of filter and each service

how many years u can buy 6 liter for that price

cheers

cheers

I don't believe we're talking about making drinking water - this thread is about cleaning a dirty mains water supply - i.e. the water you use when showering, washing clothes, washing the dishes etc.

If you're interested in making drinking water, it's very easy to put together a filtration system that works out much cheaper than your 4.3 Baht/Litre.

cheers

I don't believe we're talking about making drinking water - this thread is about cleaning a dirty mains water supply - i.e. the water you use when showering, washing clothes, washing the dishes etc.

If you're interested in making drinking water, it's very easy to put together a filtration system that works out much cheaper than your 4.3 Baht/Litre.

Sorry did not make myself clear in original post. Already get a good supply of town water which is suitable for washing etc. I would like to be able to drink this town water and wondered if the above system was suitable and effective.

Thanks

TBWG

cheers

Sorry did not make myself clear in original post. Already get a good supply of town water which is suitable for washing etc. I would like to be able to drink this town water and wondered if the above system was suitable and effective.

Thanks

TBWG

OK, the item pictured in the OP is a high flow rate "whole house" filter. This is good for cleaning up a dirty municipal supply, but does not have the fine filtration you'd normally want for drinking water.

For drinking water, just use something like this:

http://www.duan-daw.com/product/770/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3-5-%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99-ceramic-uv-cascade-2

These can be easily fitted below a sink cabinet, or above the sink, and are a very simple DIY install.

In my experience, this will make around 6,000-8,000L of clean drinking water before you'll want to spend another few hundred Baht for a set of replacement filters to speed up the flow rate again - but that varies depending on the quality of your supply.

The municipal water comes into the 5 foot sediment filter, then goes through our 3 stage whole house system, then into a 1,000 liter storage tank, then pumped through the house as needed.

Hello,

Why do you filter the water for toilet and washing machine through the 3 ways filter?

I plan to change the filter system in my house like this:

water from municipality --> sediment filter --> 3 000 liter tank --> pump --> simple filter build with cleaning bypass (see pics) and only in the kitchen a 3 ways filter.

What I call a simple filter:

filter10.jpg

and the "cleaning bypass":

Normal use:

filter11.png

Cleaning cycle (once/month 1 or 2 minutes, depending of the colour of the contaminated water):

filter10.png

By the way: DO NOT FORGET TO INSTALL A BYPASS PIPE from "before tank" to "behind pump" (very useful in case of electrical shutdown). Most of Thai plumbers don't install it...

I didn't draw it but before and behind filter; I install "Quick connectors". Cheap and useful when you have to change the whole filter.

In order to cleanse the water for drinking, you will have to remove the bacteria after all the sediment, odors, calcium, etc have been removed and for that you have only two options: ultraviolet light (which is appropriate for low flow) and chlorine (which is appropriate for high flow). Even a reverse osmosis system will not remove bacteria. I have seen ultraviolet light systems in Thailand but not chlorine systems; however chlorine additive systems for home use can be purchased from Pulsatron in the U.S. and shipped to Thailand.

Question is that filter in the OP a 25 Liter one or a 50 one ?

And another question is that price I see, inclusive of the First batch of Resin / Carbon or not ?

I am getting 2x10" (50 Liter each) filtration Tanks, one for Carbon and one for Resin, because our village water is also very bad.

The white ("paper") filters that go into the "plastic" sediment filter, we have to change at least once a week and we have 2 of those.

cheers

Thanks

TBWG

OK, the item pictured in the OP is a high flow rate "whole house" filter. This is good for cleaning up a dirty municipal supply, but does not have the fine filtration you'd normally want for drinking water.

http://www.duan-daw.com/product/770/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3-5-%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99-ceramic-uv-cascade-2

These can be easily fitted below a sink cabinet, or above the sink, and are a very simple DIY install.

In my experience, this will make around 6,000-8,000L of clean drinking water before you'll want to spend another few hundred Baht for a set of replacement filters to speed up the flow rate again - but that varies depending on the quality of your supply.

I have recently fit a 5 stage filter to my water supply, it looks the same as the cascade, but under another brand name. I fitted it about a month ago but have noticed the white primary filter becoming very yellow.

I have recently fit a 5 stage filter to my water supply, it looks the same as the cascade, but under another brand name. I fitted it about a month ago but have noticed the white primary filter becoming very yellow.

If it's plumbed correctly, the primary filter should be your sediment cartridge. If this is a ceramic one, it can be cleaned a few times before it needs replacing. Yellowing indicates your supply water isn't too clean.

Question is that filter in the OP a 25 Liter one or a 50 one ?

And another question is that price I see, inclusive of the First batch of Resin / Carbon or not ?

I am getting 2x10" (50 Liter each) filtration Tanks, one for Carbon and one for Resin, because our village water is also very bad.

The white ("paper") filters that go into the "plastic" sediment filter, we have to change at least once a week and we have 2 of those.

Our supply water is also very bad. What we do is this:

Large whole house 3-stage filter (backwash weekly, replace media every 3-4 years) > 20" carbon filter (replace every 6 months) > water tank > pump > 4-stage drinking water filter + UV (replace every 6 months).

That way, the water in the tanks is clean enough for bathing and washing clothes, and by the time we drink water it's been through 8 stages of filtration + UV.

^Thx IMHO.

We got the advice (when we bought the 10" system) to backwash at least once a month and change the media every year.

Will see what it brings.

I posted this picture in the other thread also, but this is our filter (20") after 2.5 days of village water

they sell many good drinking water filtration systems for very attractive prices at klong tom central at yaowarat in bkk (chinatown) i have had good results from them. i suggest you use the preassembled 5 stage system.

it has 3 tall vertical filters and 2 smaller horizontally mounted ones on top. price range 1500 - 2500 baht

http://www.goodswater.com/water-filter-UV-Treatton.php currently have one of these and it very good. a faucet spigot and mounting stuff comes in the box. cartridge quality is good (ceramic)

i dont recommend having the shop assemble a system as this type can tend to leak.

the systems at home pro are essentially the same but a lot more expensive. some systems have rapid change filters. its convenient but the system costs more and filters a lot more versus unscrewing the canister and putting in a new filter element.

reverse osmosis sounds good but it is overkill and it will remove minerals that make water and water based drinks taste good like calcium. RO water makes tasteless coffee and tea. UV light is an option. I had UV but stopp using it as i found the 5 elements did quite well

Edited by atyclb

they sell many good drinking water filtration systems for very attractive prices at klong tom central at yaowarat in bkk (chinatown) i have had good results from them. i suggest you use the preassembled 5 stage system.

it has 3 tall vertical filters and 2 smaller horizontally mounted ones on top. price range 1500 - 2500 baht

http://www.goodswater.com/water-filter-UV-Treatton.php currently have one of these and it very good. a faucet spigot and mounting stuff comes in the box. cartridge quality is good (ceramic)

i dont recommend having the shop assemble a system as this type can tend to leak.

the systems at home pro are essentially the same but a lot more expensive. some systems have rapid change filters. its convenient but the system costs more and filters a lot more versus unscrewing the canister and putting in a new filter element.

reverse osmosis sounds good but it is overkill and it will remove minerals that make water and water based drinks taste good like calcium. RO water makes tasteless coffee and tea. UV light is an option. I had UV but stopp using it as i found the 5 elements did quite well

There is no filter that kills bacteria and algae like UV irradiation though. If you still have the UV fixture, it might be worth considering plumbing it back in.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a drinking water system without UV. All I need to do is top-up my pool to see how much organic life comes from the mains water (a lot). YMMV.

Edited by IMHO

^Thx IMHO.

We got the advice (when we bought the 10" system) to backwash at least once a month and change the media every year.

Will see what it brings.

I posted this picture in the other thread also, but this is our filter (20") after 2.5 days of village water

Ouch! that's going to cost you a fortune in replacement cartridges.

The whole-house filter I use is the old version of the "A5" model here: http://www.masterpure.com/index.php/water-filter-products/water-filter-less-than-1000.html

This does a great job on cleaning up the incoming mains before it goes in the tanks. I bought mine over 10 years ago, before they had the auto-backwash feature, and back when they were a lot cheaper ;)

There are plenty around now that use the same principle at a lower price.

The municipal water comes into the 5 foot sediment filter, then goes through our 3 stage whole house system, then into a 1,000 liter storage tank, then pumped through the house as needed.

Hello,

Why do you filter the water for toilet and washing machine through the 3 ways filter?

Because it is a...............................WHOLE HOUSE SYSTEM. Everything in the house is on the same water system.

In order to cleanse the water for drinking, you will have to remove the bacteria after all the sediment, odors, calcium, etc have been removed and for that you have only two options: ultraviolet light (which is appropriate for low flow) and chlorine (which is appropriate for high flow). Even a reverse osmosis system will not remove bacteria. I have seen ultraviolet light systems in Thailand but not chlorine systems; however chlorine additive systems for home use can be purchased from Pulsatron in the U.S. and shipped to Thailand.

RO is very effective in removing bacteria. And remove much more.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/home-water-treatment/household_water_treatment.html

Reverse Osmosis Systems
Reverse Osmosis Systems use a process that reverses the flow of water in a natural process of osmosis so that water passes from a more concentrated solution to a more dilute solution through a semi-permeable membrane. Pre- and post-filters are often incorporated along with the reverse osmosis membrane itself.
A reverse osmosis filter has a pore size of approximately 0.0001 micron.
Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing protozoa (for example, Cryptosporidium, Giardia);
Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing bacteria (for example, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli);
Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing viruses (for example, Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus);
Reverse Osmosis Systems will remove common chemical contaminants (metal ions, aqueous salts), including sodium, chloride, copper, chromium, and lead; may reduce arsenic, fluoride, radium, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, and phosphorous.

Hello,

Because it is a...............................WHOLE HOUSE SYSTEM. Everything in the house is on the same water system.

Yes, I understand (I guess it's the same everywhere if the house was not built by a farang...) but if you install your 3 ways filter in the kitchen (between wall output and the faucet) you will save a lot of money in cartridges.

If the sediment filter is not enough for the washing machine and bathroom, a one way filter after the pump will help.

RO is very effective in removing bacteria. And remove much more.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/home-water-treatment/household_water_treatment.html

Reverse Osmosis Systems
Reverse Osmosis Systems use a process that reverses the flow of water in a natural process of osmosis so that water passes from a more concentrated solution to a more dilute solution through a semi-permeable membrane. Pre- and post-filters are often incorporated along with the reverse osmosis membrane itself.
A reverse osmosis filter has a pore size of approximately 0.0001 micron.
Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing protozoa (for example, Cryptosporidium, Giardia);
Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing bacteria (for example, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli);
Reverse Osmosis Systems have a very high effectiveness in removing viruses (for example, Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus);
Reverse Osmosis Systems will remove common chemical contaminants (metal ions, aqueous salts), including sodium, chloride, copper, chromium, and lead; may reduce arsenic, fluoride, radium, sulfate, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate, and phosphorous.

I stand corrected.

^ That is a good idea Arjen.

Will have a look around, but the only question is, are my current cartridges compatible with the NON clear ones. Because I bought a s... load of them already biggrin.png

AKA a reverse osmosis system. Like most most filter systems must be regularly serviced. Be guided by the manufacturers recommendations tempered by the "quality" of the water entering in to the system. Always use quality filters e.g. Multi-Pure (who I understand make cartridges for many other suppliers using their brand name). The carbon filter should be a .4 micron size or smaller.

Grammar Edit.

Edited by lvr181

<snip>

Ouch! that's going to cost you a fortune in replacement cartridges.

I estimate around 20-30k in filters alone a year if this continues.

At about 80 Baht per cartridge that would mean changing every one or two days. Have you tried rinsing off the filter with your garden hose and reusing the cartridge?

This is our filter cartridge after one week of filtering well water, not too dissimilar to your pic:

post-5469-0-92595000-1462758746_thumb.jp

And this is after rinsing it off and reusing it for about the fourth time (so about a months worth of filtering). Not exactly pristine but still functional:

post-5469-0-68705000-1462758793_thumb.jp

You could probably get even better results if you have a high pressure cleaner. Of course, results will probably vary depending on what kind of sediment your filter is filtering out so it might not work for you (or it could work even better).

With the amount of money you will be spending on filter cartridges, it might be worth a try.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Where do you buy them for 80 THB, here they are 260 THB each.

Edit: yes i have tried cleaning them but the results are not good, the material (paper?) comes loose. Tried it different ways, even soaking in Haiter but no good results.

Edited by MJCM

Edit: yes i have tried cleaning them but the results are not good, the material (paper?) comes loose. Tried it different ways, even soaking in Haiter but no good results.

You can buy 5 micron filter cartridges here on Lazada for 1.950 Baht for 25 pieces (from your picture I am assuming you are using the 20" size). Of course, if you are using finer cartridges such as 1 micron they will be more expensive.

When cleaning the filters I don't scrub them or use any kind of cleaning liquid/bleach, I just rinse them off with the shower hose attachment on the "jet" setting. 99% of the sediment filtered out by my filter is caught as a layer on the outside of the cartridge so is fairly easily rinsed off. But maybe your sediment is finer grained than mine so it penetrates more into the filter material.

Sophon

I purchase all my filters from http://www.duan-daw.com/category/28/ไส้กรองน้ำ/ไส้กรองกรองตะกอน-sediment they send by EMS and the service and packing is spot on.

Looks like you need additional filtration prior to the well water going to the sediment filter, these filters are a remove and bin deal.

I purchase all my filters from http://www.duan-daw.com/category/28/ไส้กรองน้ำ/ไส้กรองกรองตะกอน-sediment they send by EMS and the service and packing is spot on.

Looks like you need additional filtration prior to the well water going to the sediment filter, these filters are a remove and bin deal.

That shop has very good prices, thanks for the link.

Yes, the filters are intended to be discarded after being used once, but in many cases there really isn't any reason to do that. The vast majority of the sediment is caught on the outside of the filter cartridge and can be easily rinsed off (takes two minutes). After I clean the cartridge the first time it looks almost as new and it works just as well as a brand new cartridge. Over time more and more sediment will work it's way into the cartridge clogging up the pores and severely restricting the flow, and at that point it has to be changed.

Sure, if you have decently clean water and only need to change the filter cartridge every few months then replacing and throwing away the old one is fine. But if you have to change once or twice a week it's a waste to just replace as long as the old cartridge is still doing the job well.

Sophon