Upcountry Funeral

Vegemite

post-18138-1162795092_thumb.jpgWent to a funeral upcountry earlier this year. They got on the turps for 4 days with the body in the house ( 35 degrees ).

There was a procession through the village and across the rice fields where they had a stack of wood. The coffin was placed on the stack, there was a ceremony, a few rounds of gun fire and some fireworks and the coffin was burned.

So if you are wondering how you are going " out ", this is it!

Would put more pics on but only know how to put one.

post-18138-1162795092_thumb.jpgWent to a funeral upcountry earlier this year. They got on the turps for 4 days with the body in the house ( 35 degrees ).

There was a procession through the village and across the rice fields where they had a stack of wood. The coffin was placed on the stack, there was a ceremony, a few rounds of gun fire and some fireworks and the coffin was burned.

So if you are wondering how you are going " out ", this is it!

Would put more pics on but only know how to put one.

I have been to a few funerals like this, no good very depressing, but these are dying out now, as most funerals are done at the temple, cremation.

To tell you the truth, I didnt find it depressing at all. It was a huge honour for me and the Thais were very happy to have me there.

The only part of it that was a little strange was when I had to rest a branch against the coffin.

It was pretty high but not long after, they poured petrol or something over the body.

The deceased was 101 years old.

They have a lot going for them in these little villages. They are really poor but happy with life and the family values are very strong.

The monks did a great job as well.

The food and drink are a great way to comfort the family and a village worth of company goes a long way.

All cremations here are now done at the local watt. Our small village had a place in the forest where they burned the bodies. That place is now overgrown and no one likes to go close to it. It is said to have MANY ghosts.

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago an old lady died in a little village where the wat doesn't yet have a crematorium.

She was a cousin of one of my wife's grandmothers, so we went to the funeral.

Nearly all the village walked behind the trailer, towed by one of those little tractors with very long handles, that carried the coffin.

The funeral pyre was in a grove of trees that has been reserved for 'burn body' for generations.

I found it to be a very natural ceremony, and preferred it to the ones that we attend at wats, or at churches in the West.

Must run now, but I will look for the film photos that I took and try to scan them and post them later.