Is Royal-D safe for daily use ?

Mook23

I cycle and run. I sweat so much in these temperatures I'm drinking Royal-d every day for the last 3 weeks, occasionally even combined with a bottle of sponsor.

Is that stuff safe to drink it every day? Could it cause kidney stones or some other bad thing? Thank you.

iEx8hQ0.jpg

Thanks. I dillute with enough water (at least 800ml). And of course I also drink 2-3 liters of water on top of that! There hasn't been a single day of relief here C°-wise ;-)

Oh my Buddha, asking for medical advice on TF???? About 99 % of these crackpots play doctor at home and that is far as their medical knowledge goes.....truth be told, if you want to ramp up your blood sugar by all means indulge yourself to no end.....???

Listen to Sheryl. Ignore anything different from any other responder. It is only an electrolyte drink, very useful in extreme heat or exercise conditions and I am using a similar one here almost every day while it is so hot and the sweat is pouring out. It is only various sugars & salts that your body needs for correct metabolism but follow directions & don't overdo it. It contains sugar after all and that can be bad for you taken to excess or if you are a diabetic or have any blood-sugar medical problems. Your water consumption sounds good too in this heat.

Yes a healthy person would have no problem taking one of these every day. I would personally skip the sponsor though.

If you want to be properly hydrated make sure you eat enough watermelon and bananas. Trade the sponsor for coconut juice and during your first meal maybe add a pinch of extra salt.

Oh my Buddha, asking for medical advice on TF???? About 99 % of these crackpots play doctor at home and that is far as their medical knowledge goes.....truth be told, if you want to ramp up your blood sugar by all means indulge yourself to no end.....???

Some of us however pay for professional medical advice which we then pass on for free to others. OP as per my doctor you can drink 2 to 4 of these per day, depending on you weight, how much you sweat/activity level, how much water you drink and correct diluting of the product. For example I weigh 100 kg, excercise 6 days a week for 1,5 hours to 2 hours a day and sweat alot, for me he advised 2 to 3 per day on active days and 1 per day on inactive days. I would not recommend more than 2 per day as this depends on your kidney function. After I started using these my energy levels are up, much beter than the sugar loaded energy drinks.

Where do you buy electrolyte powder. I've been drinking Gatorade

Sold in most 7-11s. There is another brand that tastes crappy...stick with Royal-D. My only other comment is check the sodium content....I was doing a couple a day and my BP was going higher (in addition to the fish sauce in Everything here ...it was overload).

They come in all sorts of sizes. I got a couple of each of 5 different brands (from 7Eleven/Pharmacies/Tesco etc). They're all much of a muchness. The label shows various numbers that aren't always quite the same, but the sodium/potassium ratio seems fairly consistent across the board. Dextrose seems to be the sugar of choice in them. I have one brand that is actually a fairly small packet (with about 0.9g NaCl) and not as much sugar as the larger packets (I don't usually have need of so much sugar. I carry the small packets with me for my alcohol free days as well as home use on any day (for me that means no alc for 5 out of 7 days per week - when drinking then factor that in depending on type and hydration, as the only thing that hydrates is water by definition - coffee, beer, tea, juice etc will all have their own behaviours, even if minor). Personally I put it in soda with lime to give it some taste in social settings, or just a plain bottle of water if only for utility use. Perhaps you could take something like that on your non workout days, and take the larger ones with more Dextrose on your workout days(?).

[Addendum]: I should point out that my own beliefs in the 'too much salt' debate is that we're given an incomplete picture. Sodium and Potassium are opposite numbers working together to move things in and out of the cell, and balance is required. Taking sodium without potassium creates imbalance (i.e processed foods, iodised table salt instead of multi-mineral salt).

Since they're both water soluble, plenty of water will allow the body to flush out anything it doesn't need. Lack of water might make the body a bit reluctant to let go of the minerals and then you're drifting away from ideal, and you get imbalance between in the extra celluar and intra-celluar levels. Conversely, drinking lots of water that is void of minerals could leach out minerals from the body, creating imbalance the other way up.

I'm no doctor, though I would take a guess and say that if you were to have issues with things like kidney stones, it would likely be related to the body being unable to dispose of various minerals (eg. Much like Sodium/Potassium, Calcium/Magnesium are also opposites that work together). If I were to visit a doctor with such a condition, I expect that 'drink plenty of water' would be the top of his list, but perhaps better to go and as a real doctor and see, if only out of curiosity.

My blood pressure remains in the low end of normal throughout. I'd actually like to raise it a tad, given a choice.

Edited by Shiver

When sweating heavily you lose a lot of both sodium and potassium (and of course, water). These electrolyte drinks replace that. The amount of sodium you should ingest increases when there are heavy sodium losses like this.

I drink coconut water for electrolite replacment and a fruit smoothy occassionally with banana, blueberries, strawberries, and protein powder after my gym workouts. My blood labs last month were excellent. A little low in Vit D though.

My god people WATER lots of it in

The Hot Weather and a good diet

Should be all you require!!

When sweating heavily plain water alone is not all you require. Heavy sodium and potassium losses need to be replaced.

I don't know the Royal-D product, but I use and recommend an all-natural excellent source of electrolyte, which is coconut water. You definitely don't need to be concerned with daily use of coconut water.

I don't know the Royal-D product, but I use and recommend an all-natural excellent source of electrolyte, which is coconut water. You definitely don't need to be concerned with daily use of coconut water.

I think however it is low in sodium and carbohydrates so you are not getting the balance you should. But it tastes really good

Where do you buy electrolyte powder. I've been drinking Gatorade

I bought a full box (50 bags) for 150THB at my local HIGHLY reliable pharmacist.

By doing so I save quite a few baht. I think the bags are 7 or 8 thb if sold per unit.

When I go to Myanmar I bring 2-3 full boxes for people I know there as shops (used to) charge up to 20-30THB/bag there!

I buy royal-D in big boxes from makro it saves you halve the price. Normally in 7-11 I think its 6 baht which is cheap already but at makro its abt 3 bht. Noth worth the trip special to makro but for ppl shopping there already it would be of use

I run 8km in the morning. And cycle 40km in afternoon. I do this 5-6 days a week, every week.

I am sure I need extra salts and stuff in this heat wave. Hence I inquired.

ps. I'm sure I can survive on plain water and plain rice too, but that's another issue... coffee1.gif

Some of us however pay for professional medical advice which we then pass on for free to others. OP as per my doctor you can drink 2 to 4 of these per day, depending on you weight, how much you sweat/activity level, how much water you drink and correct diluting of the product. For example I weigh 100 kg, excercise 6 days a week for 1,5 hours to 2 hours a day and sweat alot, for me he advised 2 to 3 per day on active days and 1 per day on inactive days. I would not recommend more than 2 per day as this depends on your kidney function. After I started using these my energy levels are up, much beter than the sugar loaded energy drinks.

I guess you want to tell us you listening to a Thai doctor , right?

Funnily enough I have a glass right here ,Neo-lyte , for "hard workers, sportsman,athletes,heavy sweating people " I am in the last category .120B for 50 satchets from a Chines pharmacy. I do like the coconut drinks from Makro too , reading here it would seem they are good too.

I thought you knew like the rest of us know:

Nothing is safe here in Thailand....

Remember: Nothing is safe here in Thailand ....while something's are not as dangerous or life threatening as other things.....lol

I hope this helps

Cheers

You just did exactly what you berate others for doing!!

Chaps, you're guessing, listen to Sheryl.

For those who exercise in the Muang Thai, simply glugging water is not enough; in fact, drinking more and more of it without adding electrolytes ends up diluting/flushing out essential minerals... especially the water of our time which is dead and has nothing in it. A healthy, balanced diet should be a given, but in conjunction with balancing those electrolytes. Simply scoffing a banana on a boiling hot, sweaty day is not a good substitute, with your body needing to exert even more energy to digest it. Coconut water is good for electrolytes, but bearing in mind it is a diuretic and also flushes you out so you would need to also drink water at the same time. Been there, done that. The only thing that helped when exercising in the tropics on a regular basis was sea salt in water and the ingestion of these sachets. Have tried most. D-champ is pretty good... it works best after as a replacement as opposed to during or before. Buy boxes in Makro or selected pharmacies to save.

Edited by daveAustin

Chaps, you're guessing, listen to Sheryl.

For those who exercise in the Muang Thai, simply glugging water is not enough; in fact, drinking more and more of it without adding electrolytes ends up diluting/flushing out essential minerals... especially the water of our time which is dead and has nothing in it. A healthy, balanced diet should be a given, but in conjunction with balancing those electrolytes. Simply scoffing a banana on a boiling hot, sweaty day is not a good substitute, with your body needing to exert even more energy to digest it. Coconut water is good for electrolytes, but bearing in mind it is a diuretic and also flushes you out so you would need to also drink water at the same time. Been there, done that. The only thing that helped when exercising in the tropics on a regular basis was sea salt in water and the ingestion of these sachets. Have tried most. D-champ is pretty good... it works best after as a replacement as opposed to during or before. Buy boxes in Makro or selected pharmacies to save.

Coconut water has no sodium, that's one of the most important electrolytes. You can also try mineral water, not reverse osmosis water, i find that is better.