Electrical problem?

vogie

Has anybody any ideas as why my television goes off for about 1 second when we turn a light on or off, or we turn an appliance on or off? This only started about 3 weeks ago, we have lived in the house for 18 months now without any problems till now. The tv is a smart tv about 18 months old. Thanks.

Do any other lights flicker when you turn on appliances?

Does it only happen when the TV is in a particular mode (watching satellite, terrestrial, internet)?

Do you have any electrical test gear (multimeter, neon screwdriver)? Without some simple kit we're going to be guessing.

Thanks for the reply Crossy. I have not noticed any of our lights flickering and I only really watch thai expat tv from my set-top box, what I will have to do is while my wife is thai television is turn a light on etc. Yes I have a neon screwdriver and a little volt meter somewhere.

It's worth checking the voltage at the outlet that the TV is plugged into, you're not likely to see a short brown-out with a digital meter but if the supply is already low you should see that.

Also plug a regular filament lamp into the same outlet and operate the offending appliance, you may see a flicker.

Thai Expat TV is pretty robust as regards its internet connection so I don't think that the problem is there.

Also use your neon to ensure the supply polarity is correct, modern appliances don't care but evidently something has happened recently, have you had any electrical work done (or had the meter removed 'coz you didn't pay)?

You could also try a long traily lead to a different outlet (on another breaker if possible) and see if the problem persists.

Occasionally have the same problem whenever I turn on the fan in my room by placing the plug in the socket next to the one powering the TV and box. Just shrug my shoulders and put it down to one of those things we get used to out here.

Occasionally have the same problem whenever I turn on the fan in my room by placing the plug in the socket next to the one powering the TV and box. Just shrug my shoulders and put it down to one of those things we get used to out here.

It's concerning because:-

1. Modern TVs are pretty robust when it comes to power fluctuations.
  2. The appliances causing the issue are low power (if it was just the kettle I would be less worried)
  3. Something has changed recently.

We don't want your TV to die.

I had a similar issue with my TV's before I solved our low mains voltage problem. It was bathroom ceiling fans starting up that triggered our "reboots" though, not lights.

If your voltage is already low switching on an appliance, especially an inductive load like a fan, could drop the voltage below that which the protective circuit will allow.

Inductive loads usually involve a wound wire cool of some sort, motors, transformers, etc. When voltage is applied to the cool there is an effect called in-rush, which results in a dip in voltage. Sensitive equipment can be protected from the peaks and troughs with a voltage stabiliser, or better still, a UPS.

During the recent voltage fluctuations in the village caused by the festivities in the local temple I found several of our appliances will just stop rather than struggle on.

I now know that our air con won't work if the voltage drops too low, and the photo cell controlling our post top lights on the front wall will switch off until the voltage is stabilised, although we did get them flashing on and off as the voltage picked up when equipment was going off load.

Modern low load electronic devices use electronic voltage reduction and incorporate protective circuits, unlike the old CRT televisions that used transformers.

I have a DVD player/recorder which would totally mess-up for about 1 second everytime I turned on one particular light switch controlling a 32W outdoor porch light. Like if recording it would stop recording, you would see the DVD display flicker, etc. This light switch controlled our front door outside light and the switch was on the same circuit as the wall outlet for the DVD player, TV, setup box, etc. Changed the light switch...problem fix.

The switch was apparently faulty/dirty in such a way that it caused a voltage spike when turning it on and that voltage spike would cause the DVD player to mess-up, but it would not affect the attached TV, settop box and other items on the same circuit.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Found the problem by accident, my thaiexpat tv stopped working and norrowed it down to my HDMI switch, removed it and everything worked just hunky dorey. Maybe Crossy will be better at explaining why than me.