Thailand expects 1 million Russian tourists in 2016

webfact

Thailand expects 1 million Russian tourists in 2016
ALEXANDER KORABLINOV, RBTH

Tourism Authority of Thailand sees a 13 percent rise in Russian arrivals.

BANGKOK: -- Thailand expects one million tourist arrivals from Russia in 2016, the Bangkok Post cited the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) as saying on May 10. This would mark a 13 percent rise over 2015, according to the report.

Russian tourist numbers to Thailand peaked in 2013, when 1.7 million Russians visited the kingdom. 884,000 Russians visited the country in 2015, according to the report.

A TAT official told the paper that a more stable ruble would lead to a rise in Russian visitors.

Full story: https://rbth.com/news/2016/05/10/thailand-expects-1-million-russian-tourists-in-2016_591669

-- RUSSIA BEYOND THE HEADLINES 2016-05-11

Hopefully they all go to Phuket or Pattaya. Fortunately, the Russians in Hua Hin tend to either be well behaved families or well mannered couples. Did see one group of loud drunks at the resto a few weeks ago, but they kept to themselves, spent alot and were still better behaved than the lager louts who used to hurl vomit on Bangla.

I surprised there estimates are so low why not shoot for 2 million .

TAT must have insider information

Putin had recently restricted all Russians from travelling outside the country preferring/needing his people to holiday within the country suspending military personnel and such from leaving,

So where did this latest information leak from ? TATdefinitely has the the right name for the tourism board,

Just saying .......

Hopefully they all go to Phuket or Pattaya. Fortunately, the Russians in Hua Hin tend to either be well behaved families or well mannered couples. Did see one group of loud drunks at the resto a few weeks ago, but they kept to themselves, spent alot and were still better behaved than the lager louts who used to hurl vomit on Bangla.

I personally don't understand the negative hoo-haa about Russians amongst westerners.

They largely look the same as us, we should be welcoming them with open arms, not turning against them. Maybe some of us are jealous when they come on holidays as families and appear to be having a good time, family style, just like our societies were in say the 1960s?

So let's consider the "transgressions" that causes westerners to be anti-Russian:

1) Westerners don't like Putin. He is the only non-politically correct leader of a major European culture based country left.

2) Russians don't say hello or smile at their fellow man.

My take: For number 1, Obama, Merkel, the NATO leader they are all stooges who create war. I think Putin is a man of strength and he shouldn't be underestimated. He is handling the Syrian crisis quite well so kudos to him.

For number 2. Oh boo hoo. Who goes around saying hi to random strangers anyway? I find that creepy. I mind my own business when out in public and only talk to people I know or who I'm conducting a transaction with. If you want to get to know me, you're welcome to but have a proper conversation in a bar/restaurant. Excuse me however if I ignore you or run away should you approach me in the street, as only psychopaths or scam artists approach random strangers.

One more thing. Russians are much like Chinese. Russians are like the European Asians. They feel most comfortable around their own kind. Deal with it.

I personally don't understand the negative hoo-haa about Russians amongst westerners.

They largely look the same as us, we should be welcoming them with open arms, not turning against them. Maybe some of us are jealous when they come on holidays as families and appear to be having a good time, family style, just like our societies were in say the 1960s?

So let's consider the "transgressions" that causes westerners to be anti-Russian:

1) Westerners don't like Putin. He is the only non-politically correct leader of a major European culture based country left.

My take: For number 1, Obama, Merkel, the NATO leader they are all stooges who create war. I think Putin is a man of strength and he shouldn't be underestimated. He is handling the Syrian crisis quite well so kudos to him.

For number 2. Oh boo hoo. Who goes around saying hi to random strangers anyway? I find that creepy. I mind my own business when out in public and only talk to people I know or who I'm conducting a transaction with. If you want to get to know me, you're welcome to but have a proper conversation in a bar/restaurant. Excuse me however if I ignore you or run away should you approach me in the street, as only psychopaths or scam artists approach random strangers.

One more thing. Russians are much like Chinese. Russians are like the European Asians. They feel most comfortable around their own kind. Deal with it.

The Russians are rude. Would be fun to see how they deal with chinese grouptours together on the boat to koh larn.

Around the Pratumnak area of Pattaya its very quiet, very few Russians or Chinese around, many small business have shut up, the Russian market as its called on Pratumnak 6 gets fewer and fewer stalls every day, 3 biggish restaurants have called it a day

Well, mr Putin don't want them to go to Turkey, where else can they go for cheap? I see a competition with the Chinese, who is most brutal?

Edited by Joop50

The thing with Russians is that theyre loud and belligerent even when not drunk, and even more so, when they are.

At least the Chinese don't go around looking morose and start fights at the slightest provocation.

Edited by nemrut

In London they call this multicultural ..we've even got a Pakistan Muslim mayor ..

Same way Thais are saying/thinking about all of the Western farangs being here.

Not true, instead of your unfounded opinion; I conducted a survey and the top two topics being said/thought about by fifteen Thai's today were:

#1 The heat/hot weather.

#2 Som Tum.

Nice try though, the forum needs more apologists.

. Do you have a red flag flying over your home ?

I prefer the Russians a zillions times compared to the Chinese.

Mass tourism is a disaster for any country.

Russians and Chinese are just part of the equation.

Some areas are spoiled by them more than others - obviously - so try to avoid those places where they, and the mercenary Thais who prey on them, congregate.

I still think it's a language problem. Most Europeans usually speak some English and many speak it better than I.

Whilst on, I remember about 9 years ago being in a bar in Pattaya at 1.30am with my Thai wife trying to watch a football match on the TV. A huge guy - at least 6'7" kept getting in the way and, eventually, I plucked up the courage to ask him to stop blocking the view.

A 'handler' appeared and apologized to me saying the guy was drunk and meant no harm. He, the big guy, then put his arms around my shoulder and said "English, English, I like very much".

Looking back, I'm sure this fellow was Wladimir Klitscho, who has just lost his world heavyweight title after several years. I wonder if anyone who knows about boxing can comment on whether or not it was him i.e. would he have been in Thailand for some fight or other at that time?.

Anyway, he was a nice Russian and, like many huge men, did not have to prove anything by being macho!

In London they call this multicultural ..we've even got a Pakistan Muslim mayor ..

Same way Thais are saying/thinking about all of the Western farangs being here.

Not true, instead of your unfounded opinion; I conducted a survey and the top two topics being said/thought about by fifteen Thai's today were:

#1 The heat/hot weather.

#2 Som Tum.

Nice try though, the forum needs more apologists.

Haha, I'm hardly an apologist. I'm just stating how Thais (especially men) think about some of the farangs who "live here".

This seems like wishful thinking. The rouble ain't going anywhere, oil prices are going to stay down - essentially Russia is getting poorer. What data are they basing this rose-coloured thinking I wonder?

Phuket certainly didn't see as many as two years ago this year that's for sure.

What data are they basing this rose-coloured thinking I wonder?---jackspratt498

Possibly bookings Jack------forward bookings from Tour groups, you may have heard of them..........but then again it may all be a big plot........the conspiracy theories seem to run hot, when ever it looks like Thailand may be doing OK...........just doesn't fit in with what most farangs would wish for............coffee1.gif