Work Course Sharing Hotel Room

Karlo

My Thai wife works as a medical lecturer for a university and has had to go away on a 3 day course with 40 other colleagues. When she and the others arrived by coach at the hotel venue they found that they were booked into shared twin bed rooms. My question is what rights does she have to refuse this sleeping arrangement as I know in the west very few employees would accept this. She has only worked at the university for less than a year so she is reluctant to stir up any problems. Additionally her contract hours are 8.30 pm to 4.00 pm but on this course she is expected to work up to 8.30 pm, this she doesn't have a problem. Her issue is loss of privacy having to share a twin room with another female colleague.

OP

It is non of your business.

If your wife is uncomfortable with the arrangement as an Adult it is her responsibility to resolve any problem. Unless the hotel is full she can solve the problem by buying her own private room.

It is reasonably common for same-sex staff to room together in Thailand when traveling, although I think she would have been made aware of it prior the trip.

too true, wife's sister is a teacher, since her uni days and forward, who she sharing rooms with on trips, was always topic.

Welcome to the third world.

Funny that Bubba, when i worked in the US, the lower level staff where made to share hotel rooms as well, when working away from home or on training courses

To get your own room one had to be supervisory/management level ...so shall we talk about 3rd world again

Funny that Bubba, when i worked in the US, the lower level staff where made to share hotel rooms as well, when working away from home or on training courses

To get your own room one had to be supervisory/management level ...so shall we talk about 3rd world again

Ok third world or an American peon.

OP

It is non of your business.

If your wife is uncomfortable with the arrangement as an Adult it is her responsibility to resolve any problem. Unless the hotel is full she can solve the problem by buying her own private room.

why?

It is not the normal care about wife?

"medical lecturer for a university " it for you lower level staff?whistling.gif

"medical lecturer for a university " it for you lower level staff?whistling.gif

It would depend whose company said medical lecturer was in, so the answer could be yes or no, i will bet there will be people of the higher ranks on the same course who have their own rooms

The world really does have some serious issues we must all contend with from time to time.

I hope she recovers and in time im sure she ( and you ) will be ok.

If at times you feel like no one is listening by the grace of God the Samaratins are availiable here in Thailand in both the Thai and English languages.

My prayers are with you at this most difficult time.

Let her deal with it

You're obviously afraid she's sharing within a man

Nothing to do with you

She's old enough to speak for herself

You're obviously insecure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even upon re-reading the OP I can't see how you find it obvious that Karlo is afraid his wife is sharing with a man and that he is insecure.

My wife and I often discuss our respective work matters. We are interested and offer opinions to each-other if appropriate (sometimes when inappropriate in hindsight). I think this is an important part of our relationship. Our concerns are each-others concerns. It works well for us and I am blessed with a wonderful marriage.

To the OP - Yes, this room sharing is normal even in the circumstances and environment that you describe. It is far more common with females, even when they hold quite senior positions.

Do consider that traditionally Thais have preferred to sleep together rather than separately (safety in numbers?). Many is the time that I've had Thai visitors stay overnight, made the beds in the the 2 guest rooms only to have woken in the morning to see that I alone had used a bedroom... but try walking through the sleeping bodies strewn across the living room floor!

I wonder what would happen if your wife quietly approached a senior colleague and let them know she'd like a room alone. You guys would be prepared to pay a few extra satang towards room cost if necessary I'd imagine. Might not be an issue. Ask.

Edited by andrew55

Let her deal with it

Nothing to do with you

Even upon re-reading the OP I can't see how you find it obvious that Karlo is afraid his wife is sharing with a man and that he is insecure.

My wife and I often discuss our respective work matters. We are interested and offer opinions to each-other if appropriate (sometimes when inappropriate in hindsight). I think this is an important part of our relationship. Our concerns are each-others concerns. It works well for us and I am blessed with a wonderful marriage.

To the OP - Yes, this room sharing is normal even in the circumstances and environment that you describe. It is far more common with females, even when they hold quite senior positions.

Do consider than traditionally Thais have preferred to sleep together rather than separately (safety in numbers?). Many is the time that I've had Thai visitors stay overnight, made the beds in the the 2 guest rooms only to have woken in the morning to see that I alone had used a bedroom... but try walking through the sleeping bodies strewn across the living room floor!

I wonder what would happen if your wife quietly approached a senior colleague and let them know she'd like a room alone. You guys would be prepared to pay a few extra satang towards room cost if necessary I'd imagine. Might not be an issue. Ask.

You need to re-read again, the OP clearly states she has issues sharing with another female..

The solution is simple, if the OPs wife wants an single bed..she or he needs to pay for it themselves, shouldnt be a problem as she is a medical lecturer and has the cash...

Edited by Koosdedooes

Let her deal with it

Nothing to do with you

Do consider than traditionally Thais have preferred to sleep together rather than separately (safety in numbers?). Many is the time that I've had Thai visitors stay overnight, made the beds in the the 2 guest rooms only to have woken in the morning to see that I alone had used a bedroom... but try walking through the sleeping bodies strewn across the living room floor!

You need to re-read again, the OP clearly states she has issues sharing with another female..

I understood that. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

That is what I was questioning in the post I quoted ie. why he felt that Karlos was worried that she'd be sharing with a man.