Has anyone ever been granted a pay rise from a govt' uni?

The standard pay set by the MOE for government tertiary teaching positions is 28k a month. After a few years of working at one I asked for a 2k rise but it was rejected.

A few weeks ago I met an old farang who worked at a govt' uni in the North East of Thailand for 9 yrs. He said he originally started on 26k and at the end of 9 yrs it was raised to 28k. I'm sure that inflation would have surpassed this increase.

Clearly the MOE has no idea about the extra work involved in a tertiary teaching position compared to that of a normal primary school. I have to do research each year and publish it etc. We should be paid more in my opinion.

If you currently work at a govt' uni and have any knowledge on this issue could you please comment below.

cheers

The standard pay set by the MOE for government tertiary teaching positions is 28k a month. After a few years of working at one I asked for a 2k rise but it was rejected.

What kind of contract are you on? Shouldn't you have an annual rise of 3-5%?

I only do a 'visiting lectureship' at a Thai university (rather than working here full time), but my impression from colleagues is that extra money is only obtained by taking on extra duties. The base salary is very low and hasn't been increased in many years.

To be honest I don't think working full time at a Thai university is a viable occupation unless appointed at a very senior level. Even working part-time at a Western or Chinese university would yield a higher income and leave time to visit Thailand and enjoy the country. Even allowing for Thailand's relatively low cost of living I think an academic job on the base salary would give a pretty miserable standard of living and any Westerner with a decent academic background would be seriously underselling themselves. Don't get trapped in that situation.

Archived