One day overstay

Stupidly I made a miscalculation when booking our return flights to Thailand in November. We arrive on 29th November 2016, leaving 28th January 2017 (61 days) for 4 nights in Saigon, retuning 1st February to 23rd March 2017 in Thailand (51 days).

I had miscalculated the first entry as 60 days which we would get a 60 day Tourist Visa for.

Options appear to be:

1) First entry SETV for 60 days, cost £25 plus 30 day extension £37 (1900 baht), second entry Visa Exempt for 30 days plus 30 day extension, cost £37, total cost £99 each for my wife and myself.

2) First entry Non-Imm O Single Entry (pensioner) Visa, cost £50, second entry as for 1) cost £37, total cost £87 each.

3) Multi Entry Non-Imm O to cover both entries, cost £125 each.

Any other way to deal with the 1 day overstay on the first entry?

• The only way to avoid the 1 day overstay would be to apply for the 30 day extension of stay, do a border hop during the 60 days to get a new 30 day visa exempt entry or arrive with a non 'O' visa (90 days).

If you leave from the major international airports they usually do not charge for a 1 day overstay although they may still stamp the overstay in your passport.

Although technically you could be arrested, prosecuted, deported and banned if caught on a 1 day overstay it is highly unlikely that would happen.

Something i really find hard to understand, it's why if your passport stamp say, valid until today's date, then you go the the airport today and they insist you over-stayed because the date on that stamp for them it means it's "expired".

Is it just me understanding this wrong?

It happened already a few times and they put a stamp on my passport plus a receipt of 500B for the fine (paid each time).

At first i thought it was just a stubborn officer wanting to cash it up at all costs, but after the second time i started to think that there is more to it, as it was a different person...

Is this normal?

Something i really find hard to understand, it's why if your passport stamp say, valid until today's date, then you go the the airport today and they insist you over-stayed because the date on that stamp for them it means it's "expired".

It happened already a few times and they put a stamp on my passport plus a receipt of 500B for the fine (paid each time).

At first i thought it was just a stubborn officer wanting to cash it up at all costs, but after the second time i started to think that there is more to it, as it was a different person...

Is this normal?

• You should be able to leave anytime before midnight of the 'admitted until' date stamped in your passport.
  • IO's are within their right to charge 500B if exiting anytime during the day after, but that fine is usually waived at the major airports only.

Which airport did you exit from?

If you post the stamps in your passport we can advise you better about any irregularity.

Is this normal?

I read, probably on here, that they dont fine for a one day overstay when leaving from Swampy, so for 2 years running at the end of a 6 months winter stay on triple entry TVs I left a day late. Sure enough nothing was made of it though you do get a stamp in your passport. The 1st time the officer even made a joke about it saying something like 'You are a very bad man' with a big smile on his face. With so much talk about clamping down on overstays I did not do it last time; a 3rd time, especially with 2 previous stamps. So I dont understand why you are fined Mangostin if you leave on the actual 'admitted until' date stamped in your passport, unless you fly after midnight when legally they could.

One time i departed from Suvarnabhumi (BKK), while another time i am not sure if it was the same airport or Don Muang(BKK), anyways, always flying out from the main Bangkok's airports.

Soon i am going to fly out from Bangkok again, and again on the day stamped on my passport, if they are going to make me pay a fine again for the third time, this time i will write down name and number of the officer for everyone to see.

One time i departed from Suvarnabhumi (BKK), while another time i am not sure if it was the same airport or Don Muang(BKK), anyways, always flying out from the main Bangkok's airports.

Soon i am going to fly out from Bangkok again, and again on the day stamped on my passport, if they are going to make me pay a fine again for the third time, this time i will write down name and number of the officer for everyone to see.

If you leave on or before the "Admitted Until" date stamped in your passport there will be no possibility of you being fined.

So I dont understand why you are fined Mangostin if you leave on the actual 'admitted until' date stamped in your passport, unless you fly after midnight when legally they could.

Yes i don't understand it either, that's why i wanted to double check it here against other people's experiences.

And you can trust me on this, i might not be perfect, but surely i still know when a day ends and another it's starting up, so that's not the case, unless Thailand made a whole new rule on this during the last couple of years, which it's much more likely to be.... laugh.png

If you leave on or before the "Admitted Until" date stamped in your passport there will be no possibility of you being fined.

That's what kept me there arguing for at least a whole good 20 minutes, then, evaluating better the situation, losing an intercontinental's flight with all the connected disadvantages and just pay the 500 B extortion's fine, i opted out for the latter rather than the former....

I believe, for 1 day overstay is free but pay 500 baht per day after that.

• A 1 day overstay is not free. The fine is waived but only at the major airports. If leaving at any land border and you will be fined.
  • If you leave the airport on day 2 they charge 1,000 baht.

That's what kept me there arguing for at least a whole good 20 minutes, then, evaluating better the situation, losing an intercontinental's flight with all the connected disadvantages and just pay the 500 B extortion's fine, i opted out for the latter rather than the former....

Why not scan and post the stamps illustrating the alleged "fines" which you "had" to pay.

Next time you have "difficulty" do not argue just ask (politely) to speak with a Senior Officer/Supervisor.

So I dont understand why you are fined Mangostin if you leave on the actual 'admitted until' date stamped in your passport, unless you fly after midnight when legally they could.

Yes i don't understand it either, that's why i wanted to double check it here against other people's experiences.

And you can trust me on this, i might not be perfect, but surely i still know when a day ends and another it's starting up, so that's not the case, unless Thailand made a whole new rule on this during the last couple of years, which it's much more likely to be.... laugh.png

Was the admitted until date on your entry correctly calculated? The only reasonable explanation for your experience is that the admitted until date in the passport was wrong, and the correct date in the computer used to determine your overstay.

You cannot be fined directly by the immigration official normally stamping you out. That official identifies you as on overstay, and directs to the desk to pay the fine. Then a separate official stamps your passport and assesses the fine.

It would be useful to see the entry and exit stamps, plus the stamp showing your fine. It might make it easier to understand the anomaly.

• Like 1

[…] if you leave on the actual 'admitted until' date stamped in your passport, unless you fly after midnight when legally they could.

I often fly after midnight, so the date of my flight is normally the day after my visa expires. I go through immigration before midnight, and never had an issue.

• Like 1

[…] if you leave on the actual 'admitted until' date stamped in your passport, unless you fly after midnight when legally they could.

I often fly after midnight, so the date of my flight is normally the day after my visa expires. I go through immigration before midnight, and never had an issue.

that's good to know.