Digital body to carry "vintage" lenses, which one?

Thank you RW and FR for your inputs…

I must confess I don’t even have Photoshop on my computer for now. Just the AC/DC Pro thing to manage jpegs.

So maybe it’s time to update my softwares…

And I agree with you FR, when I’ll begin to shoot “seriously” (ahem!) I’ll save my pics through RAW+jpeg.

Just as a follow up :

Time going on following the learning slope, I’m really, really pleased with the E-M5 AND the 12-50 lens as it came with as a kit. I’ve read many complaints about this lens, but for a do-it-all-around, I think it is a « honnest » lens. Not at the top of the range, but it gives decent pics and is very versatile at use.

And both, camera and lens, are a breaze to handle…

Some examples in jpeg : no post-editing, color on Natural, metering on Program, everything on Automatic, and so on, blah-blah. Well nothing to do for the "photographer", apart framing the pic.

Note : compression levels don’t allow a true rendition, but you may get the picture I think (ah-ah-ah !)…

Zuiko 12-50 zoom lens at 12mm : good sharpness and contrast. For general purpose shots, it’s good sometimes to be able to reach the 12mm mark, I think. It offers more opportunities when shooting on an edge. Light CA and DB, and softness in the corners when full open are not big problems in real life shooting. Once closed a bit, everything is great. IMHO it’s very good for a general purpose use…

post-41729-0-20269700-1467126291_thumb.j

Zuiko 12-50 zoom lens at 50mm : a bit soft and on the low contrast side, but not as « ugly » as it is sometimes described. Though, at f/6.3 the largest aperture offered, the lack of a nice OOF rendition (bokeh as they say) is something to be considered especially when shooting portrait : the subject hasn’t this special jump in your face wide open primes are used to give. So framing must be done with care for not catching disturbing backgrounds. But it’s ok though for a snap shot of the beloved ones at any time. « Average » daily pics usually don’t show this concern so much, and once the lens closed a bit, everything becomes really good…

post-41729-0-63972100-1467126322_thumb.j

Zuiko 12-50 zoom lens in Macro-Mode (close-up in fact) : amazing ease of use and rendition ! Good sharpness and contrast. Vivid pics and nice OOF backgrounds. Handheld pics are a no-brainer thanks to the IBIS inside I suppose. Nothing to complain or even speak about here. Just wow and wow !

post-41729-0-56902600-1467126375_thumb.j

Well, that’s it !

I’ve been blown out by this lens : such a small and light lens for such great results. Well, through my eyes at least…

IMHO, a very good travel, party, wedding, and more… multipurpose lens for the hobbyist/enthousiast, even with « serious » results in mind.

Coupled with the E-M5 its a yummy set… and I've now to learn to look at the world in colors.

Sorry, maybe, for such a long « speach ». But my enthousiasm commands here…tongue.png

Cheers to all,

Ray

PS : if moderators find something « not allowed » here, please feel free to modify or even delete…

thumbsup.gif

Thank you Jimmy!

Sometimes I'm very talkative about photography gears and processes. I can chat hours and hours...

Furthermore I don't really know the "allowance limits" on this sub-forum.

At least, above I've tried to make it short gigglem.gif

The Olympus 45mm F1.8 is a very sharp, very small and comparatively cheap lens that is good for portraits.

I happen to know someone who is selling his for half price if you are interested....

thumbsup.gif

Thank you very much, FR. Interesting indeed...

Though for the moment I 'ld like to try my vintage lenses first (waiting for adaptors right now).

Let's see how all this come in a near future...

Cheers,

Ray

Still about the Zuiko 12-50 lens...

After I posted a pic of a lotus flower in the dedicated thread, Assurancetourix noted that my pic was apparently "blurred".

I think it is a interesting note that may enlight the 12-50 lens global rendition in Close-Up mode (Oly say Macro, but it's not a real macro feature).

BTW I take no offence at all from AT's note: IMHO it's always good to speak to each others in a friendly and courteously way.

So, first, the said pic as a whole just a little bit edited for a better understanding:

post-41729-0-46947700-1467303989_thumb.j

Before resizing, pic came just straight from the camera jpeg engine: Large + Fine (4600 pix).

Then, a crop of the above at 100% at the center:

post-41729-0-77472500-1467304035_thumb.j

As can be seen the pic is NOT blurred. Automatic AF was pointed to the yellow heart of the flower, and it did just right its job. I'm even amazed how pollen grains can be so vividly rendered with a full open kit zoom lens on a close-up pic! It's not perfect I agree, but it's very correct with a well balanced rendition.

In fact, what you have noticed, AT, is petals around are out of focus, due to a short depth of field.

The lens was set to 43 mm at f/6.3, while the flower was about 25/30 cm in front of the front lens.

So what happened here is the DOF is very, very short (maybe a 5 mm or at least under 10 millimeters DOF), hence sending petals OOF.

Well, just to say... wink.png

Cheers,

Ray

Archived