African woman becomes new secretary general of crisis-hit FIFA

rooster59

African woman becomes new secretary general of crisis-hit FIFA

post-247607-0-05194800-1463266248_thumb.

An African woman has been named as FIFA’s new secretary general, as the global soccer ruling body tries to move on from a corruption scandal.

Fatma Samba Diouf Samoura, the United Nations Development Programme Resident Representative in Nigeria, will be responsible for the day to day running of the federation.

“FIFA is taking a fresh approach to its work and I am eager to play a role in making that approach as effective and lasting as possible,” she said in a statement.

Samoura’s appointment was announced by president Gianni Infantino, who was hosting his first Congress since he was elected in February to lead the federation out of its crisis.

The corruption scandal has seen 42 soccer officials and entities indicted in the US.

FIFA’s Congress also passed a resolution which gives its board, known as the FIFA Council, the power to fire the heads of its independent committees at almost any time.

In addition, the Congress voted to accept Kosovo and Gibraltar as the organisation’s 210th and 211th members, opening the way for them to take part in the 2018 World Cup qualifying competition.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-15

Interesting report on CNN this morning that the Fifa council only found out an hour before the announcement who the appointee was made and that Infantino has given old pal Luiz Figo an admin post within Fifa.

Looks like he's settling into the well worn ' I'm in charge ' role.

Outstanding effort by the dinosaurs of the 'Old boys" club. Please explain to me how the ender of someone is relevant to running any organization and possibly making a success of it.

While I'm well to the right of nazi-feminist ideals, I find the attitude of some of the remarks here already, to be hinting a Neanderthal, chauvinistic ideals which must make your women-folk cringe...Further, I don't see why a woman can't be the boss of a game dominated by overly feminine, sookie-lalas, who take a dive and wimp on like a bunch of wusses in an attempt to gain a free...big bunch of pansies in fishnet stockings the lot of them tongue.png

FIFA has no clue and they deserve all the investigations they get.

Problem = Corruption and Reputation

Solution = Appoint a person from a country that has the worst reputation for corruption! Just from a PR level, this is a disaster.

Gender, no issue.

Well she is from Senegal and not Nigeria.

However not exactly high on the anti-corruption stakes either.

My concern is now that FIFA can sack any of their (so called) independent committees, not really a good start.

In fact, Domenico Scala, one of the main people rooting out scandal has resigned due to this.