Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

I think we dominated but the draw reflects the true score don't you think guys???

Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd

Salomon Kalou's late equaliser preserved Chelsea's long unbeaten home league record and earned a deserved point against Manchester United.

Ji-Sung Park put United ahead in the 18th minute after Chelsea keeper Petr Cech fumbled Dimitar Berbatov's shot.

United lost keeper Edwin van der Sar to injury in the first half and Chelsea took control of a disjointed game.

Joe Cole and Nicolas Anelka wasted great chances before substitute Kalou headed in with 10 minutes left.

Sir Alex Ferguson wore the look of a man who knew Manchester United had missed an opportunity to land a big one on Chelsea

It stretched Chelsea's unbeaten sequence in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge to 85 games, but Sir Alex Ferguson will be frustrated that his side failed to build on a perfect start and lost their way as the game went on.

Chelsea will be delighted and relieved with a point - but they should have claimed all three after dominating the second half.

United opted to keep Cristiano Ronaldo on the bench, where he was joined by Carlos Tevez as Berbatov and Wayne Rooney were paired up front.

Chelsea were forced into a reshuffle of their own when Deco injured a thigh in the warm-up, although they were hardly weakened by the subsequent inclusion of Michael Ballack.

United opened with real purpose, Darren Fletcher scrambling a finish wide and Rooney hooking just off target after a poor clearance from Cech.

Chelsea had a chance of their own in the eighth minute when Joe Cole ran clear after appearing to use his hand, only to shoot wide.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's side suffered a serious blow three minutes later when defender Ricardo Carvalho departed with a knee injury, with Alex coming on as substitute.

United's ambition was rewarded with a deserved opener after 18 minutes, when Park pounced from close range after Cech could only parry Berbatov's shot.

Van der Sar had been having a mixed afternoon, his mood not helped by a knee injury sustained in an accidental clash with Florent Malouda.

And it was no surprise when he limped off and was replaced by Tomasz Kuszczak after 31 minutes following another fumble.

Kuszczak was quickly in action to block a long-range effort from Alex, but the game was degenerating into a scrappy affair littered with stoppages.

Chelsea made another change at the interval, sending on Didier Drogba for Malouda, while United waited until nine minutes after half-time before sending on Ronaldo for Paul Scholes.

Joe Cole wasted another great opportunity after 65 minutes, shooting straight at Kuszczak after being released by Ballack's superb pass.

And Anelka was guilty of a shocking miss seven minutes later when he was set up by Joe Cole, but he failed to even apply a touch only three yards out with the goal at his mercy.

But Chelsea were building up a head of steam and it was no surprise when they drew level with 10 minutes left.

Rooney was booked for a crude lunge at Ashley Cole, and the punishment was doubled when Kalou headed Jon Mikel Obi's free-kick beyond a static Kuszczak.

And it took a desperate block from Gary Neville seconds later to deny Kalou, bravely deflecting his shot over the top as United hung on for a point.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Carvalho (Alex 12), Terry, Ashley Cole, Obi, Joe Cole, Ballack (Kalou 74), Lampard, Malouda (Drogba 46), Anelka.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Bridge, Belletti, Ferreira.

Booked: Obi.

Goals: Kalou 80.

Man Utd: Van der Sar (Kuszczak 32), Neville, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Scholes (Ronaldo 55), Park (O'Shea 75), Berbatov, Rooney.

Subs Not Used: Brown, Giggs, Nani, Tevez.

Booked: Scholes, Ferdinand, Neville, Berbatov, Rooney, Evra, Ronaldo.

Goals: Park 18.

Att: 41,760

Ref: Mike Riley (Yorkshire).

Scolari 'unsurprised' by yellows

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has intimated that it was a lack of respect that led to referee Mike Riley handing out seven yellow cards to Manchester United players on Sunday.

The Red Devils face a fine from the Football Association after picking up the bookings in the 1-1 draw with Premier League title rivals Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

This season the FA launched its new Respect campaign, and Scolari has admitted he was 'not surprised' to see Riley brandish a total of eight cautions during the encounter.

The Brazilian said in the Daily Mail: "I'm not surprised there were so many bookings.

"The referee is there for that reason. If players don't respect him then he will show yellow card or red cards.

"It is the same for everyone - Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester United."

Ferguson, though, was of the belief that there was not one tackle in the game that merited a yellow card.

He said: "The game is being screened worldwide, everyone was watching and then that [the bookings] go on.

"It was a competitive game and I did not think there was one bad tackle in it."

It was also reported that United's team coach was hit by a bottle on their trip to Euston station after the match.

Of the incident, where no-one was injured, a club spokesman said: "Yes. There was an incident but the matter is now in the hands of the police."

Cech - We could have won it

Petr Cech admits Chelsea's players were disappointed to only draw with Manchester United at the weekend, despite needing a late leveller to rescue a point.

Salomon Kalou came off the bench to restore parity with ten minutes remaining at Stamford Bridge after Park Ji-sung had earlier given United a lead.

The 1-1 stalemate keeps intact Chelsea's six point advantage over the champions but Cech feels it is a lead that could have been extended to nine with a little more luck.

"There is a certain disappointment and it is a pity that we did not add another goal," Cech told his own website.

"On the other hand, we only got the score level with ten minutes remaining.

"So the draw is okay and it has its value. I always believed we could claim at least a point."

Kalou's goal maintained a remarkable home record for Chelsea that has seen Luiz Felipe's side go undefeated in West London for over four years in the league.

Cech believes such a remarkable run of results is testimony to the resilience in Chelsea's ranks and a never-say-die attitude that is prevalent throughout the club.

"Such a record exists because we don't admit to ourselves that we could lose at home," he added.

"A couple of times we've rescued it in the final minutes. But it is a big advantage that we can always cope with such situations.

"I didn't even think of the record ending. We always aim for three points at home."

Portsmouth v Chelsea

Last season's Carling Cup runners-up Chelsea take on Premier League rivals Portsmouth at Fratton Park in the third round of the competition.

The Blues, under the stewardship of Avram Grant at the time, were defeated 2-1 by Tottenham at Wembley in February.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's men, who brushed aside Wednesday's opponents 4-0 earlier this term, head into the competition off the back of a 1-1 Premier League draw with Manchester United.

Pompey, meanwhile, exited the League Cup in round four last season after a loss to Blackburn Rovers.

The FA Cup holders have endured mixed form this campaign and manager Harry Redknapp will be looking for a response after they went down 6-0 at Manchester City at the weekend.

Portsmouth midfield trio Lassana Diarra, Sean Davis and Papa Bouba Diop are all ruled out for the showdown.

Former Blues player Diarra is unavailable due to a knee ligament injury while Davis and Diop are struggling with groin and hamstring problems respectively.

Redknapp looks set to hand Nigerian striker Kanu his first start since he scored the winner in the FA Cup final in May.

John Utaka could also be set to play a key role, while Redknapp will consider resting the likes of Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe and skipper Sol Campbell.

Chelsea, who have won the competition twice and reached the final three times in five years, are without Portugal duo Deco (thigh) and Ricardo Carvalho (knee).

Michael Essien (knee) is a long-term injury victim while Didier Drogba (knee) and Michael Ballack (ankle) are still short of match fitness.

Chelsea snap up Brazilian Mineiro

Chelsea have signed veteran Brazil midfielder Mineiro on a free transfer.

The 33-year-old has been without a club since leaving German side Hertha Berlin at the end of last season.

Mineiro had been linked with Arsenal and Birmingham, but has opted for a deal that will initially see him stay at Stamford Bridge until next summer.

"Mineiro is a player I need because I lost Michael Essien for six months and only Jon Mikel Obi is there for us," said Blues boss Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Ghana midfielder Essien is out for around six months after suffering an anterior cruciate knee ligament injury while on World Cup qualifying duty.

Scolari will also be without Deco, who picked up a thigh injury in the warm-up before the 1-1 draw with Manchester United on Sunday.

Portuguese compatriot Ricardo Carvalho then damaged his knee during the game - and both will be assessed to determine the extent of the damage.

"He (Mineiro) won't play this week but maybe after 10 days he will play," Scolari added.

"He needs to play in the reserve team and needs some time but that is good for me because he gives me some options.

"We would miss Deco, it would not be good news. But it's hard to say at the moment (how bad the injury is)."

The Brazilian has won 24 caps for his country and was a member of the 2006 World Cup squad.

"I say to fans of Chelsea, if they remember (Claude) Makelele, Mineiro is the same," Scolari said of the defensive midfielder.

"He is good positionally, a very good marker. He is a man that works for the other players and he is also a good man outside of the pitch."

Another good day at the office! :o

Portsmouth 0-4 Chelsea

A dominant Chelsea brushed aside Portsmouth to book their spot in the Carling Cup fourth round.

Frank Lampard clinically slotted in a penalty to put the Blues ahead after Michael Ballack was brought down by Nadir Belhadj.

Florent Malouda lashed in a shot for Chelsea and Lampard walked in his fifth of the season after David James glanced a Salomon Kalou cross against his knee.

Kalou rifled in a shot to complete the rout over a tame Pompey side.

The Fratton Park club's fans must have been in apprehensive mood for the tie against Chelsea after the 6-0 mauling their side suffered at Manchester City on Sunday.

And their fears were realised as Chelsea eased to victory against the south-coast club, who they also beat 4-0 on the opening day of the Premier League season.

The visitors had quickly taken a grip of the game against a Pompey side boss Harry Redknapp set up in a defensive 4-5-1.

Chelsea worked a chance for Didier Drogba, making his first start this season, and he whistled a shot past the post before Lampard played a delightful ball to release Kalou through on goal.

Kalou squeezed his effort just wide as he was closed down by on-rushing keeper James but Pompey could only hold out for 36 minutes.

Belhadj carelessly brought down Ballack, who was going away from goal, and Lampard clinically slotted in the resultant penalty.

Kalou had a big influence on the game and teed up Malouda to lash in a shot just before half-time to extend Chelsea's lead.

It was all too easy for Chelsea and a Kalou pull-back from the byline resulted in Lampard's second, which was only celebrated after the midfielder apologetically lifted his arm to signal a goal.

Pompey's defence is proving a fragile unit this season and they were again exposed as Ivory Coast striker Kalou powered in a shot to wrap up a comprehensive win.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp:

"We had a makeshift midfield and we worked very hard but we gave away scandalous goals.

"We haven't been leaking goals all season but we have had two games now. Chelsea are a fantastic team, different class, but the goals were poor.

"We didn't want to get smashed up, people are making mistakes they don't usually make. But it's history now."

Portsmouth: James, Johnson, Pamarot, Distin, Hreidarsson, Utaka, Mvuemba, Kaboul, Hughes (Wilson 80), Belhadj (Armand Traore 69), Crouch (Kanu 69).

Subs Not Used: Ashdown, Defoe, Djimi Traore, Little.

Booked: Hreidarsson, Hughes, Johnson.

Chelsea: Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Alex, Bridge, Belletti, Ballack (Ferreira 69), Lampard (Sinclair 74), Kalou, Malouda, Drogba (Di Santo 79).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Obi, Mancienne, Stoch.

Booked: Ballack.

Goals: Lampard 36 pen, Malouda 45, Lampard 49, Kalou 64.

Att: 15,339

Ref: Steve Bennett (Kent).

Looking for some advise on Chelsea memorabilia?

Bought at a charity auction a 2004 Chelsea football signed by all the first team. It came with a team photo at the ground, same players had signed this also.

Is it worth anything? As usual at any charity auction when the beer and wine flows, bidding frenzy takes off and gets out of hand (Not even a football fan).

Live in Thailand (Payttaya) these days now, ball and photo are in a box up in the loft, back in the UK. Going back on 15th october for a few days. Anybody interested, can bring it back with me.

Regards

TMD

Bought at a charity auction a 2004 Chelsea football signed by all the first team. It came with a team photo at the ground, same players had signed this also.

Is it worth anything? As usual at any charity auction when the beer and wine flows, bidding frenzy takes off and gets out of hand (Not even a football fan).

Live in Thailand (Payttaya) these days now, ball and photo are in a box up in the loft, back in the UK. Going back on 15th october for a few days. Anybody interested, can bring it back with me.

Regards

TMD

Chelsea won something in 2004? :o

Regards

TMD

Ermmm?

As I put, not a football fan, more rugby, so "Pom mai Roo".

The charity was for a sick children hospital.

This football did not attract many bids so muggins here started to put his arm up, again and again and again..................thinking someone else will bid.

When I was told it was mine......jeezz "How much"??

Bit of a shock, got it home and filed it away.

Any genuine fans want to PM me, can take picture of the ball and team photo, then e-mail them to you.

Arriving back in the UK Thursday 16th Oct, leaving Sunday 19th October when it can be done.

Regards

TMD

Ermmm?

As I put, not a football fan, more rugby, so "Pom mai Roo".

The charity was for a sick children hospital.

This football did not attract many bids so muggins here started to put his arm up, again and again and again..................thinking someone else will bid.

When I was told it was mine......jeezz "How much"??

Bit of a shock, got it home and filed it away.

Any genuine fans want to PM me, can take picture of the ball and team photo, then e-mail them to you.

Arriving back in the UK Thursday 16th Oct, leaving Sunday 19th October when it can be done.

I am sure someone might want it, however E-Bay might be a better bet. I am sure once you have your photos of it, some die-hard will snap it up. But get it valued at some sports memorabilia shop in the Uk first to get an idea of its worth.

Regards

TMD

Sounds interesting mate, 2004 was the beginning of great things to come in our history. As BKKjames says the best option would be chucking it all on ebay and see what you get on that.

Good luck mate.

Edited by Seapok

Regards

TMD

Sounds interesting mate, 2004 was the beginning of great things to come in our history. As BKKjames says the best option would be chucking it all on ebay and see what you get on that.

Good luck mate.

Just as final note, if anyone has a signed JT shirt (with a little spit and tears on it) from the Champions League final, I would be very happy to put a bid in on it. Priceless. :o

Regards

TMD

Good luck mate.

Just as final note, if anyone has a signed JT shirt (with a little spit and tears on it) from the Champions League final, I would be very happy to put a bid in on it. Priceless. :o

Not still going on about that are you? we will see who is laughing at the end of this season, I'm looking forward to watching Ronaldo waving goodbye to the fans come May also! :D

Regards

TMD

Good luck mate.

Not still going on about that are you? we will see who is laughing at the end of this season, I'm looking forward to watching Ronaldo waving goodbye to the fans come May also! :D

As long as we get the same two trophies and 135 Million Pounds, I will be laughing.

Regards

TMD

Good luck mate.

Just as final note, if anyone has a signed JT shirt (with a little spit and tears on it) from the Champions League final, I would be very happy to put a bid in on it. Priceless. :D

As long as we get the same two trophies and 135 Million Pounds, I will be laughing.

I will give you 135 million if you get those two trophy's again this season! won't happen again mate!, take my word on that. :o

Wilkins hails Chelsea display

Ray Wilkins hailed the attitude of Chelsea after their 4-0 Carling Cup win over Portsmouth.

The Blues named a strong side at Fratton Park where they overpowered an injury-ravaged Pompey in their third round tie.

And the visitors' assistant first-team coach Wilkins was delighted with the way in which they progressed to the last 16.

"Whenever you come away to a fellow Premiership side and you actually beat them 4-0 on their own soil, then it is a very satisfying evening indeed," he told Sky Sports News.

"The lads played some exceptional football and, apart from the opening 20 minutes, I don't think we were put under too much pressure. After that we controlled the game and played some really good football.

"We kept a steady spine throughout the side but it was nice to bring the younger guys on later on.

"Every game we play, the boys want to win, they just want to win matches."

Regards

TMD

Good luck mate.

Who do you support ?

Regards

TMD

Good luck mate.

Who do you support ?

I obviously support and I'm pretty sure BKKjames supports Man Utd.....you?

Chelsea my blue freind :o Nice to meet you seapok, I am new to this forum but have been in Thailand for 5 years. Nice to meet a fellow blue who lives here as I have only ever come accross spuds and gooners !

I look forward to many a debate with you :D

KEEP THE BLUE FLAG FLYING HIGH

KEEP THE FAITH

ps. you should join the shedend forum, great forum.

Chelsea my blue freind :o Nice to meet you seapok, I am new to this forum but have been in Thailand for 5 years. Nice to meet a fellow blue who lives here as I have only ever come accross spuds and gooners !

KEEP THE FAITH

I'm not living in Thailand at the moment mate but my mate Oldgit does, look him up, he is also a fellow blue boy!. Where abouts are you in LOS? when you say shedend forum, are you talking about the one on the official Chelsea website?

KEEP THE FAITH

I'm not living in Thailand at the moment mate but my mate Oldgit does, look him up, he is also a fellow blue boy!. Where abouts are you in LOS? when you say shedend forum, are you talking about the one on the official Chelsea website?

Bangkok but originally from SW12, sorry I meant the unofficial one :D great forum. I will look ya mate up

So happy that we have got a British coach somewhere in the line up and for it to be Wilko hahaha I was so happy when I heard the news, what more could you want when you lose a man like Clarky ?

Who do you think we should be playing on the wings ?

Kalou&Malouda

Malouda&Cole

Cole&Kalou

?

Yeah I've liked Butch, he does talk a lot of sense, glad to see him come home after all these years! :o

I don't rate Malouda, he has been terrible, good running forward but finally ball has been shocking....having said that he has bucked up his ideas of late, with a few goals as well.

Kalou has also been playing well recently, I think I would have to go with Cole as the second striker or just give him a free role.

Stoke v Chelsea

Stoke striker Ricardo Fuller should shake off a knock in time to play.

He is expected to replace Mamady Sidibe, while manager Tony Pulis must choose between centre-back Leon Cort and the fit-again Ibrahima Sonko.

Chelsea will be without Joe Cole, who has what the club describe as a "minor injury" but Jose Bosingwa, Ashley Cole and John Mikel Obi could return.

Portuguese pair Deco (thigh) and Ricardo Carvalho (knee) are both sidelined for several weeks.

Stoke (from): Sorensen, Griffin, Cort, Sonko, Abdoulaye Faye, Higginbotham, Lawrence, Diao, Olofinjana, Delap, Kitson, Fuller, Sidibe, Cresswell, Simonsen, Whelan, Tonge, Wilkinson, Shawcross, Soares.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Ivanovic, A Cole, Lampard, Di Santo, Drogba, Mikel, Ballack, Malouda, Sinclair, Bosingwa, Bridge, Ferreira, Kalou, Cudicini, Terry, Alex, Belletti, Anelka, Hilario.

Stoke boss Tony Pulis:

"As a manager you are always looking for chinks in the armour of your opponents, but Chelsea have all the answers to all the questions you could pose.

"The pace and power of their team is phenomenal and when you add technical ability in abundance, you know you face one hel_l of a task.

"They've got bags of goals from midfield, full-backs who bomb forward and cause problems, and also someone like Joe Cole who can drop off and open you up."

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari on the various styles of teams in the Premier League:

"In Brazil, we do not play with this characteristic. Teams in the national competition don't have this style.

"We need to learn to play against Manchester United and against Stoke. It is a contrast. They play very differently and we have been talking about it.

"This is very good for a foreign coach because every day we need to study the opposing team."

Chelsea are shielded a 100% away league record and a 26-match unbeaten run in the Premier League. Maximum points could see the Blues regaining top spot, depending on the result of the Saturday lunchtime Merseyside derby.

Both these clubs held a 'Big Four' opponent last weekend; Stoke drew 0-0 at Liverpool, Chelsea finished 1-1 with Manchester United at Stamford Bridge.

This is Chelsea's first match of the season against a promoted club. Defeat would be their 100th away from home in Premier League history.

The Potters have lost three of their five league games and conceded 10 goals; Chelsea have won three of their five and scored 10.

This is Stoke's first meeting in a league game with Chelsea in 20 seasons. They have not taken maximum points off the Londoners for 33 years.

Distance between the clubs: 167 miles (268 kilometres)

CLUB FORM

STOKE CITY

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 8th

Lowest could fall: 19th

2008-09 Premier League performance

1. Won one of their five Premier League games; 3-2, home to Aston Villa on 23 August.

2. Taken to penalties by Championship Reading on Tuesday before progressing to the fourth round of the Carling Cup.

3. Already lost league games to Bolton (a), Middlesbrough (a) and Everton (h).

4. Scored three goals and conceded three in the last 15 minutes of top-flight games this term.

CHELSEA

2nd 11 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 1st

Lowest could fall: 5th

2008-09 Premier League performance

1. Unbeaten in 26 Premier League matches; won 18 and drawn eight since losing 1-0 away to Arsenal on 16 December 2007 - their only defeat in 36 league outings.

2. The only club with an unbeaten Premier League record in 2008; won 16 and drawn seven of 23 matches. Their 55 points is five more than the return of Liverpool, seven more than that of Arsenal, and eight in excess of Manchester United, over the same period.

3. One point better off after their first five league fixtures, than last season; accumulated 11 points after the first seven last term.

4. On the longest current run in the Premier League of 13 matches, since conceding more than a single goal in a game.

5. Scored in each of their last 17 league outings since Liverpool held them to a 0-0 draw on 10 February; the only occasion in 26 Premier League matches they failed to score.

6. Completed 36 top-flight fixtures since losing by more than a single goal; 2-0, away to Manchester United.

7. Aiming for a sixth consecutive away league win, to take their unbeaten Premier League run away from home to an unmatched 13 games. Conceded just one goal in winning the last five away.

8. Their last league game against a Midlands club was a 6-1 win, home to doomed Derby. They have won the last two against clubs from the region.

9. Picked up 10 points from a last possible 12 against Midlands' clubs and lost only one of the last 20 Premier League matches against clubs from the heart of the nation; the defeat being 2-0, away to Aston Villa on 2 September 2007.

10. Resume their Champions League programme in Romania on Wednesday; against CFR Cluj-Napoca.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

STOKE CITY

Tom SOARES will be making his 150th career league appearance (Crystal Palace and Stoke).

Carl DICKINSON will be making his 50th league appearance in a Stoke shirt.

Ryan SHAWCROSS will be making a 50th appearance for an English club (Manchester United and Stoke).

CHELSEA

Frank LAMPARD is a hat-trick shy of 100 career league goals (West Ham, Swansea and Chelsea).

If on the field from the outset:-

JOE COLE will be making his 100th Premier League start in a Chelsea shirt.

HEAD TO HEAD

These clubs last met in the fifth round of the FA Cup at the Britannia Stadium on 15 February 2003; Chelsea won 0-2 with second-half goals from Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink and Jesper Gronkjaer.

Stoke's last victory over Chelsea was 0-1 at Stamford Bridge when a goal from Paul Peschisolido was sufficient to give the Potters a 1-0 aggregate victory in a second round League Cup tie.

Chelsea completed the double over Stoke when they locked horns in a league clash on 1 May 1989 in the old Second Division.

Terry Conroy scored a brace and Jimmy Greenoff got the other when Stoke last beat Chelsea in a league match; 3-0 at the Victoria Ground on 5 April 1975 in the top-flight.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Stoke 22 wins, Chelsea 30, Draws 16

Prem: Stoke 0 wins, Chelsea 0, Draws 0

at Stoke only

League (inc PL): Stoke 15 wins, Chelsea 13, Draws 6

Prem: Stoke 0 wins, Chelsea 0, Draws 0

REFEREE

Martin Atkinson (Yorkshire)

Should be a tough game but I can see a 2-0 to the Chels, lamps and Ballack to score.

Good shout mate but I think the score line will be a lot bigger than that, I predict a spanking!, they played out of their skins at Anfield but I think we will be too strong!

Easy like sunday morning!! :o

Carling Cup fourth round draw:

Sunderland v Blackburn Rovers

Arsenal v Wigan Athletic

Chelsea v Burnley

Swansea City v Watford

Manchester United v Queens Park Rangers

Stoke City v Rotherham United

Brighton & Hove Albion or Derby v Leeds United

Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool

Stoke 0-2 Chelsea

Chelsea saw off Stoke to rack up their sixth Premier League away win in a row and return to the top of the table.

The visitors dominated the first half and Jose Bosingwa latched onto a fine Frank Lampard pass to crash the ball in via Danny Griffin for the opener.

A spirited Stoke side rallied after the break and Leon Cort had a towering header cleared off the line.

But Chelsea wrapped up the win when Nicolas Anelka fired home after a terrible blunder by Cort.

Deprived of the considerable goal threat of Rory Delap's long throws because of a hamstring injury, Stoke were outclassed for most of the first half but until Anelka's late strike they were always a threat from set-pieces.

Even the appearance of boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard could not help Stoke punch above their weight and contain a Chelsea side who had not lost a league game since going down to Arsenal in mid-December of last year.

Michael Ballack was at the heart of everything good about the visitors' attacking play in the opening half-hour, twice forcing Thomas Sorensen into decent saves from a fierce 20-yard shot and a downward header from a corner.

The German was also involved in teeing up a below-par Didier Drogba, who was making his first league start of the season, but the Ivorian's clever flicked shot was excellently saved by the Danish keeper.

The home side caused confusion with a couple of dangerous set-pieces, one of which saw a Mamady Sidibe header comfortably saved by Petr Cech.

However, moments later Chelsea took the lead after some wonderful interplay between Bosingwa, Lampard, and Salomon Kalou.

Lampard's glorious weighted pass sent Bosingwa free on the right-hand side of the penalty box and the Portuguese smashed his shot into the net via the unfortunate Griffin.

The Londoners should have been two up within moments of the restart but Lampard's deflected shot went inches wide and then a terrible defensive blunder by Abdoulaye Faye saw

Florent Malouda's shot crash off the bar by way of a wonderful one-handed stop by Sorensen.

While Stoke started to take chances at the back they were still a danger from set-pieces.

A towering Abdoulaye Faye header was brilliantly cleared off the line by the retreating Jon Mikel Obi.

But after a sustained spell of Stoke pressure, half-time substitute Anelka smashed the ball low past Sorensen after a mistake by Cort.

Lampard could and should have added a third late on but Chelsea eased home with little concern in the final 14 minutes.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis:

"Their second goal killed us we had a little bit of steam up in the second second half and had really got into the game but that finished us off.

"They had a lot of possession, they are a smashing team and have all the attributes. They were excellent.

"But they are on a different level and can hurt you on in all areas and we just have to go out and compete. And although I have no complaints about the result, we weren't bowled over."

"We have to take positives out of the game and cannot get down in the dumps. We competed well against Chelsea and Liverpool."

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari:

"It is impossible to play beautiful football all the time and it was difficult against Stoke. Whenever we made a mistake they arrived and tried to put the ball in the box. We had to pay attention.

"But we kept our shape and that was important. It was fantastic to get a win like this as Stoke created only one or two chances. We always want to play football but sometimes the other team does not think that way. They just want to live off your mistakes.

"They were physical and compact and we tried to move the ball before they pressured us. We had the ball around their goal many times but could not score. But our performance was very good."

Stoke: Sorensen, Griffin, Cort, Abdoulaye Faye, Higginbotham, Lawrence (Tonge 65), Diao, Olofinjana, Cresswell, Kitson (Fuller 52), Sidibe (Amdy Faye 81).

Subs Not Used: Simonsen, Whelan, Soares, Sonko.

Booked: Griffin, Cresswell.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Alex, Terry, Ashley Cole, Obi, Kalou (Anelka 46), Ballack (Ferreira 89), Lampard, Malouda, Drogba (Belletti 73).

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Ivanovic, Sinclair, Bridge.

Booked: Malouda.

Goals: Bosingwa 36, Anelka 76.

Att: 27,500.

Ref: Martin Atkinson (W Yorkshire).