Nokia Pc Suite

Totster

I am trying to connect a Nokia 3120 to use as a GPRS modem.

Nokia PC suite is installed and says the phone is connected.. but it also says a modem is not connected when I try to connect to the internet.

I remember having the same problem when connecting my SE phone..

Any suggestions ?

totster :o

What version of Nokia PC Suite?

What type of connectivity are you using between phone and PC (cable?)

Which service provider? Have you signed up for GPRS service?

Are you using "One Touch Access" ("Connect to the Internet")?

Can you connect to the internet? I suspect not, but this may be due to any number of other factors.

I have noticed that once I click "Connect to the Internet", Nokia PC Suite shows that my phone is no longer connected. I believe that this is FAD (Functions as Designed) as once you are using the phone as a GPRS modem you give up all other Nokia PC Suite functionality.

I quickly reviewed the 3120 specs and manual. It seems to support nTML browsing via GPRS. However it does not appear to be capable of acting as a GPRS modem (GPRS multislot class 10, up to 80 kbps). The manual makes no reference to that funtionality. For capable models, like the 6070, the manual does mention this capability.

Edited by lomatopo

I think you are going to discover that you have no drivers installed for the modem. Try going to device manager and see if you have a Nokia modem installed. It's been a long time since I set mine up so I'm not sure but I think the drivers are in Nokia suite.

Sorry I was in a bit of hurry before so may not have explained my understanding of the Nokia 3120's capabilities. This phone has an xHTML browser built in, and modest (24-36 kb/s) GPRS capabilites. That means you can connect the phone to a GPRS network and use the tiny screen to browse the internet. I do not believe that it can be used a GPRS modem, which is what I think Totster is hoping to do? I think you have to move up the model line to get GPRS modem capabilities.

Ah... it seems after a bit of googling that lomatopo and tywais are right.. No modem capabilities.

Never mind.. I was just trying to get my mate online with his GF's phone while he was here.. we'll have to think of something else.

Thanks all !

Ah... it seems after a bit of googling that lomatopo and tywais are right.. No modem capabilities.

Never mind.. I was just trying to get my mate online with his GF's phone while he was here.. we'll have to think of something else.

Thanks all !

Oh, well looks like the question was answered.

But that doesn't stop me for writing about my opinion on that useless piece of c*** PC Suite.

I purchased a brand new Nokia N73, installed PC Suite that came with the phone on CD - doesn't recognize the phone (fails to "authorize" over Bluetooth). Same with the latest version downloaded from the web.

I eventually got it to "authorize" the phone by connecting the N73 via USB cable, setting it up, then connecting it via Bluetooth. Another 2 hours wasted!

After looking at the capabilities, I couldn't find anything worthwhile that the standard built-in Bluetooth in Windows XP doesn't do so I uninstalled PC Suite, let Windows with WIDCOMM drivers recognize the phone and set it up. Which it did in about 2 minutes, recognizing every available service on the phone. It works well. And doesn't install any system tray items etc.

All things considered I think I can do without the Nokia Lifeblog and the ugly sibling of iTunes that

Nokia ships to manage my music (yeah right).

I love Nokia phones but their PC software really needs a complete rewrite. Sorry for the rant - I guess the moral of the story is: Don't install PC Suite. Windows XP Bluetooth drivers do all the PC Suite does, with the difference that it actually works.

Thanks all !

Oh, well looks like the question was answered.

But that doesn't stop me for writing about my opinion on that useless piece of c*** PC Suite.

I purchased a brand new Nokia N73, installed PC Suite that came with the phone on CD - doesn't recognize the phone (fails to "authorize" over Bluetooth). Same with the latest version downloaded from the web.

I eventually got it to "authorize" the phone by connecting the N73 via USB cable, setting it up, then connecting it via Bluetooth. Another 2 hours wasted!

After looking at the capabilities, I couldn't find anything worthwhile that the standard built-in Bluetooth in Windows XP doesn't do so I uninstalled PC Suite, let Windows with WIDCOMM drivers recognize the phone and set it up. Which it did in about 2 minutes, recognizing every available service on the phone. It works well. And doesn't install any system tray items etc.

All things considered I think I can do without the Nokia Lifeblog and the ugly sibling of iTunes that

Nokia ships to manage my music (yeah right).

I love Nokia phones but their PC software really needs a complete rewrite. Sorry for the rant - I guess the moral of the story is: Don't install PC Suite. Windows XP Bluetooth drivers do all the PC Suite does, with the difference that it actually works.

The Nokia Suite CD that came with my Nokia wouldn't work for me either. When I looked on the Internet I found a newer version that works fine. My new laptop has bluetooth built in and like you I use the drivers that were built into my laptop. I didn't even bother to install the new Nokia suite. I gave my old laptop to a friend of mine and he is using a USB cable with the Nokia Suite and he is satisfied with it. I use a Bluetooth dongle on my desktop and use the driver CD that came with the Billionton dongle. (IVT Blue Soleil).

I love Nokia phones but their PC software really needs a complete rewrite.

Try using Motorola Phone Tools. :o Talk about a PoS.

Seriously, I agree Nokia PC Suite can be "tempermental". For me, on several phones, it has been an excellent solution. Synchronizing with Outlook, for example, has been helpful for me.

I agree that for simple apps (GPRS connectivity, transferring files), and novice PC users, just using the Bluetooth connectivity/Windows XP utilities is perfect.