Trying to remember this Thai word/phrase for losing your peace of mind?

HappyDazed

It was something like losing your khwaam, I cant remember the exact details to search for it so what I'm saying is not accurate

The description I read said, everyone has a spirit/ghost living inside them and when it gets scared it goes off somewhere to hide and leaves you feeling unsettled ..from what I remember it was along the lines of losing your khwaam, the example given was a baby that wouldn't stop crying and it was said to have lost lost it's khwaam. You don't feel happy again until your khwaam returns.

The word is kwaan (ขวัญ), translated perhaps as soul or spirit. I believe in its a pre-Buddhist concept. If you are feeling out of sorts, or have become ill, or just startled, they might say kwaan hai (ขวัญ หาย). This might then involve, with an illness, contacting a local who can perform the ceremony to call back the spirit, (เรียกขวัญ)riak kwaan.

We had a full blown riak kwaan ceremony for my son when he took ill at a young age. Old Uncle Mun came over with his Lanna script written on something ancient. It was quite the involved ceremony, one not seen so often anymore, but well worthwhile attending if you get the opportunity.

Edited by Johpa