Mars will be closest to Earth from 22-31 May

webfact

Mars will be closest to Earth from 22-31 May

BANGKOK, 18 May 2016 (NNT) - The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) invites the public to see Mars close approach to Earth from 22 - 31 May 2016. Observation points will be set up in four provinces.

NARIT Deputy Director Saran Posayachinda said Mars would be opposite to the sun at a distance of 75 - 28 million kilometers on 22 May 2016. Mars would come nearest to Earth on 31 May 2016 at a distance of 75 - 28 million kilometers, closest to Earth in 11 years, said the deputy director.

During such period, Mars can be seen with the naked eye above the southeastern horizon. NARIT will provide observation points on 22 May from 6 AM - 10 PM at Siam Paragon in Bangkok, Sirindhorn Observatory Chiang Mai University in Chiang Mai, a national observatory in Nakhon Ratchasima and a national observatory in Chachoengsao. Another observation point will be open to the public on 31 May at Meya shopping center in Chiang Mai.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-18 footer_n.gif

Have any of the nation's soothsayers issued their thoughts yet ?

Repent now for the end is nigh but keep an eye out for possible lottery numbers.

I doubt many would dare to venture an opinion. It is known as "The Red Planet" after all!

Repent now for the end is nigh but keep an eye out for possible lottery numbers.

I doubt many would dare to venture an opinion. It is known as "The Red Planet" after all!

clap2.gifcheesy.gif

I would like to be alive when man steps on to mars,

Co operation between the big 3 USA, China , Russia could see it happen in the next 10 years,

Brave , tough people when they do go,

A bucket list if you have never viewed the moon or planets

through a very powerful telescope is a great experience.

If you view with no more participants than yourself having no red colored clothes or equipment being careful not to read a book or eat sandwiches and especially no Facebook messages...it might be ok.

Hahaha, brilliant ! clap2.gif

Just a note: Mars will not look as big as the moon when it is at its closest, as it is so much further away from Earth. I seen a few messages in some media that suggested this, and it is actually impossible, unless Mars actually came toward Earth on a collision course and got as close as the moon is.

Just so you arm chair experts, don't try to snow the public, with such malarcky.

Excuse my poor spelling.

Geezer

Just a note: Mars will not look as big as the moon when it is at its closest, as it is so much further away from Earth. I seen a few messages in some media that suggested this, and it is actually impossible, unless Mars actually came toward Earth on a collision course and got as close as the moon is.

Just so you arm chair experts, don't try to snow the public, with such malarcky.

Excuse my poor spelling.

Geezer

Those messages/emails have going on for 13+ years saying they will look the same size. smile.png

Actually for mars to look the same size as the moon obviously it doesn't have to be as close to Earth as the moon is. Because it is twice the diameter of the moon, to look the same size the distance from the moon to mars has to be the same distance as the earth is to the moon. So mars has to be twice as far away from earth as the moon is to look the same size.