Old Rubber Tree Road to Lamphun this Morning

rebo

There was obviously something taifun-like wandering along this road between downtown Saraphi and NongHoi.
In reality it looks much worse than at the pics; complete desaster zone ...

post-9457-0-81094600-1463537420_thumb.jp

post-9457-0-96854200-1463537499_thumb.jp

post-9457-0-61018700-1463537577_thumb.jp

post-9457-0-79903400-1463537665_thumb.jp

post-9457-0-94367500-1463537710_thumb.jp

At 8:30pm yesterday I was in the area but on the other side of the river. There were some serious gusts of wind that at one point felt like my car was going to be lifted off the ground, and then the rain came and the power went out. It is so sad to see the damage done, I hope everyone has insurance to cover the cost of the repairs. This year promises to be one of extreme storms in many places including Thailand. Let's hope we do not have any flooding later in the year.

It`s getting dangerous living in Chiang Mai in the hot season. The winds usually precede rain and thunder storms and there is no telling where they will happen next. They seem localized and to be becoming more frequent each year.

About 20 years ago some "influential personalities" wanted to cut down (and fill their pockets by selling them) all those more than 500 big rubber trees along the old Chiang Mai - Lamphun road. In their helpnessless the residents who wanted to keep the trees asked the monks what could be done to avoid the logging. The monks simply declared the trees as monks which thus become unlumberable. Since that time the trees wear their orange robes.
BTW - the "helicopter seeds" of these trees are the symbol of tambon Saraphi.

post-9457-0-47426900-1463562892_thumb.jp

Rebo was all this damage, as shown in your photos, done by one or more trees? Really hard to tell but looks like it was more than one tree. Hate to see to many of these big trees go down,

I estimate about 10 trees died last night between Saraphi and Nong Hoi.

Most of them broke, and some even were uprooted.

Almost every tree must have lost a couple of branches; in the very early morning (about 0530 a.m.) one could hardly get on by a sedan car; the road was strewn with branches.

Edited by rebo