Found a purse, how to return?

lifemagic

Hi,

I found a ladies purse on the floor in MBK yesterday. Not much in it, about 450 baht, key fob, old receipts, but there's a tracable debit card (Bangkok Bank). I thought this would be no problem, give it to my hotel reception (where I've stayed on and off for years and trust them), ask them to send the hotel address to the bank, explanation, the girl/woman can come pick it up.

But this morning, the hotel staff were confused and then horrified. They said that if any money should be missing from the debit card, they (the hotel) or myself (the finder) can be arrested. If I go to the police they will just steal it. So basically, I should take the 450 and dump it, and they seemed genuiniely non-plussed as to what my problem with this was.

Well, I know some women in a cybercafe, I mean I've known them well for years, leave my bag here when I travel etc. I just explained it to them and they said the police would be OK and there's no worry.

What shall I do?

If the bank card is the only valuable/relevant content (no keys? no ID card?) then destroy it and keep the 450.

The lady has surely noticed the loss and gone to the bank to cancel the card and pay 100 Baht for a new one.

Hi,

I found a ladies purse on the floor in MBK yesterday. Not much in it, about 450 baht, key fob, old receipts, but there's a tracable debit card (Bangkok Bank). I thought this would be no problem, give it to my hotel reception (where I've stayed on and off for years and trust them), ask them to send the hotel address to the bank, explanation, the girl/woman can come pick it up.

But this morning, the hotel staff were confused and then horrified. They said that if any money should be missing from the debit card, they (the hotel) or myself (the finder) can be arrested. If I go to the police they will just steal it. So basically, I should take the 450 and dump it, and they seemed genuiniely non-plussed as to what my problem with this was.

Well, I know some women in a cybercafe, I mean I've known them well for years, leave my bag here when I travel etc. I just explained it to them and they said the police would be OK and there's no worry.

What shall I do?

You'd have been better to have cut the card in half before leaving it in a an envelope in the a bank or giving it to hotel staff. The owner would have already cancelled the card. Cut cards can't be used in ATM's.

Hi,

What shall I do?

You'd have been better to have cut the card in half before leaving it in a an envelope in the a bank or giving it to hotel staff. The owner would have already cancelled the card. Cut cards can't be used in ATM's.

A replacement card can also cost around 450 baht, so why bother at all ?

...ever heard of 'stealing by finding' ?

In Thailand you have three days to hand it in to the nearest police station..then you've done your duty as a citizen/visitor and can sleep well that night knowing you did it the right way...what you reckon...set a good example for others and hopefully the property will be reunited with the owner.

To back up my 'wild statement'.......

Section 1323. A person who finds lost property is bound:

(1) to deliver it to the loser, the owner or any other person entitled to receive it, or (2) to inform without delay to the loser, the owner or any other person entitled to receive it, or (3)

to deliver it within three days to the police or other competent official and inform them of all circumstances within his knowledge which may be material for the person who is entitled to receive it.

True story. In my condo building I saw a wallet on the floor as I walked out of the lift with my shopping. In view of the security camera on that floor I looked through it to see if there was a name or address, then walked into the lift (also containing camera) went to the ground floor and handed it to the security guard at the reception, also in view of a camera. From finding to handing it in took approximately four minutes.

The next day someone hammered at my door, and on opening it a man, not Thai, holding the wallet said "Oh you found my wallet, but where is the money, there was 5000B in it (I hadn't counted the money but when I looked through it there were about 500B in 100B notes, so I wasn't particularly concerned.)

I said "I handed it in straight after I found it and didn't take anything out of it, I took it downstairs about a minute after I found it, and there was only about 500B in it!" he said "Yes, yes I have seen camera! I looked at it, but you can understand me, the money is gone!" I simply insisted I hadn't taken it, and he was sceptical and briefly mentioned taking it further and "the Police".

It was resolved in the usual weird way in this country, incomprehensibly: a few days later he knocked on my door and said "I got my money back, I got it from Thai people!" I asked him to explain what he meant "How do you mean, where was it, who had it!?"- to which he replied "Yes yes Thai people, they give it back to me, Thai people!" I realised his English or his brain wasn't up to explaining how a wallet which had 500B in it when it was handed in, and so didn't have all the money missing, was somehow made up to the correct amount by "Thai people", and frankly didn't want the involvement of even one more sentence of conversation, so I grinned, shook his hand and closed the door.

However valuable lesson: the next time I see a wallet, bag, or any personal property of any kind, lost, I will walk past it as if I hadn't seen it, and will never become involved again...

Not my problem. Look the other way. It'll just bring me grief!

I'm an atheist but thank God I had Christian parents that gave me a basic moral code!

Don't listen to these anti - social cynical voices! Promote a civilised society in every small way you can.

I'm an atheist but thank God I had Christian parents that gave me a basic moral code!

There's something seriously wrong with you if you need Christian parents to teach you basic morals. Do non-Christians have no morals? If you have children, as an atheist will your children grow up without morals? Do you have any explanation for children with no parents growing up morally sound?

For God's sake, I wish I'd just left it.

I can't take the money because the person is traceable, so... I just can't. That's just me.

But Thai law says I have to hand it in within three days?

But the story about someone accusing the finder of taking some money. It's so sad I have to consider this... but we all know how this place can be.

I'm leaning towards the police now, but what if I've left it too late, and would I insist on an itemised receipt?

For God's sake, I wish I'd just left it.

I can't take the money because the person is traceable, so... I just can't. That's just me.

But Thai law says I have to hand it in within three days?

But the story about someone accusing the finder of taking some money. It's so sad I have to consider this... but we all know how this place can be.

I'm leaning towards the police now, but what if I've left it too late, and would I insist on an itemised receipt?

Dude, the best advice you have had here is to take it all into a branch of Bangkok Bank, plonk it on the (service) desk, spin around and head off.....easy.

Incredible how some folks can make a paranoid drama over nothing......

There's something seriously wrong with you if you need Christian parents to teach you basic morals. Do non-Christians have no morals? If you have children, as an atheist will your children grow up without morals? Do you have any explanation for children with no parents growing up morally sound?

I am a born again atheist and am happy to report I have never thanked 'god' for anything.

As for the wallet, take it to the bank, or if you have nothing to do for the foreseeable future take it to the police, as that should keep you busy for a while.

If it was in MBK, why not just give it to a security guard. There are loads of them there. What happens after that isn't your problem.

Yeah, that's what I don't understand. It was lost in MBK, so hand it in to MBK. Why did you take it back to your hotel with you..? Seems such a weird, convoluted way to go about handing in lost property.

Archived