Thai drivers license

Rayk

I know this has been covered before to some degree.

I am currently using my Canadian drivers license. As I leave the country every 90 days I am not required to have an international license.

My license is about to expire so I went to the drivers license office in Pathumthani today to enquire about getting a Thai drivers while on a tourist visa and was told that I cannot. I offered to pay in order to be able to take the written and road test but again was told I can't on a tourist visa.

Now I remember reading that other posters had stated that they have gotten a Thai drivers license while being on a tourist visa.

So my question to those people is, if it is indeed possible which province, city and office did you manage to aquire your drivers license.

Thanks.

I was issued a 2 year temporary license based on a 60 day visa and a Malaysian license. I did present a certificate of residency, obtained from the US consulate. I'm not aware whether my Malaysian license mattered.

In Mo Chit, there is no specific visa requirements, but you need a certificate of residency from your embassy. Then just bring your passport, driving license and a medical certificate from some clinic, and you'll have your license in an hour.

Various websites seem to suggest that as I live in Sathorn I need to apply for a Thai Driver's Licence at

Bangkok Area 1
9/99 Bangkunthian Chaithalay Road, Kwang Thakarm, Bangkhunthien district, Bangkok 10150
Tel: 02-415-73378
Covers the districts: Bangkhunthian, Bang Bon, Jomthong, Thonburi, Klongsarn, Radburana, Bangkolaem, Tungkru, Yannawa and Sathorn.

or

Soi Wat Hua Krabu at km 4.5, Bangkunthian Thaithalae, Thakarm, Bangkhunthien, Bangkok 10150

Google maps say this place doesn't exist. Is it possible to apply at the Land Transport Office in Chatuchak?

How do you get a certificate of residency - viz what documents do the (British) embassy require or the Immigration Department? Is it better to go the embassy route or the IMM.

Is a UK Driving Licence OK, or do I have to apply for an International DL first?

Anyone recommend an agent to facilitate all of this?

Many thanks.

Advice anyone about where to apply for a Thai Driving Licence in Bangkok.

I understand that if one has a UK DL it's a simple procedure obtaining a Thai one, just need the certificate of residence, medical certificate, passport with Extension of Stay visas, and that's it.

Jus got my car and motorcycle license in 30mins at chatujak DLT.no question asked.

I am on 30days tourist visa.

Documents provided :

Resident certificate (I'm Malaysian getting it was easy at our embassy)

Passport (+ 2photocopy for car and motorcycle)

Original driving license (+ 2photocopy for car and motorcycle)

Photo copy of immigration arrival card and arrival stamp on passport (2 copies)

Medical cert (2photocopy for car and motorcycle)

I arrive at 3pm. Got my queue number on level 2 and proceed to another counter which the lady verify the documents and nag non stop why I came so late. Then proceed to level 3 for color test. Then back to level 2 same old lady paid 510baht and got both my car n motorcycle license in about 30mins before they closed at 330pm.

Easier than I thought.

another example of 'no such thing as a standard rule'!

tried on monday at that phanom. the girl behind the counter is a school mate of my gf (actually, WIFE since that day, too!).

no go. she wants: visa showing extended permission to stay, yellow tabian baan and cor ror 3. i had one - but not the other. and this is it.next time she'll probably want to do the colour test, too. i will fail!

thai law left, right, centre - who ever serves you is the one who makes the rules.

Jus got my car and motorcycle license in 30mins at chatujak DLT.no question asked.

I am on 30days tourist visa.

Documents provided :

Passport (+ 2photocopy for car and motorcycle)

Original driving license (+ 2photocopy for car and motorcycle)

Photo copy of immigration arrival card and arrival stamp on passport (2 copies)

Medical cert (2photocopy for car and motorcycle)

I arrive at 3pm. Got my queue number on level 2 and proceed to another counter which the lady verify the documents and nag non stop why I came so late. Then proceed to level 3 for color test. Then back to level 2 same old lady paid 510baht and got both my car n motorcycle license in about 30mins before they closed at 330pm.

Easier than I thought.

Thanks! (I have an Extension of Stay for a B Visa, based on retirement), but I was curious about the requisite documents and centre, which you have answered.

• 3 weeks later...

Lucky you! I naïvely thought I could just turn up at the British Embassy yesterday afternoon, having attained all my other documentary requirements, but alas no. Wet from rain and humidity, I was informed that I had to make an appointment online. Silly me for not reading the website correctly, I will admit. But I thought it might be quite nice if they could justify their THB2650 fee by allowing me to make a booking at the gate office. The Malaysian Embassy seems to be the same as the Japanese Embassy, (and perhaps others) - treating its citizens with a little more respect and dignity. Anyway, I have managed to get an appointment to get my Residency Certificate 1 week hence for my 15 minute slot.

Caution to Brits - ALL services require an appointment ONLINE. It's in the multitudinous blurb on their website. In my 13 years of living in Thailand I have only been to the embassy once, and next week will be my second visit. Whoopee.

Edited by seedy
font

Kawasaki - if you're referring to me as the OP - I like to restrict my visit to IMM to once a year, and I think it takes 2-3 weeks to be mailed out once the application form is completed. It was a consideration, however, but my medical cert is valid for a month for the DL application.

to put this into context: i am holding both a german car & truck license issue in 1976 and a current australian motorcycle and heavy vehicle license for articulated trucks of any size.

since yesterday afternoon i am finally holder of a 2 year, temporary car driving license issued by the ltd of that phanom up here in issan.

i initially got rejected a month ago due to me being here on a tourist visa. also, no one speaks more than a few words of english here, bringing my wife along was absolutely essential.

anyway my visa status has since changed to a non imm - o and on my next visit i got told to present a proof of address which at nakhon phanom immigration is a tm30 form for which they charge thb 800!

returned to the ltd with my photo copies, my medical, all the stuff mentioned in other posts above.

had to do several tests: reaction time, distance perception, colour recognition and peripheral vision. passed (struggled a bit with the colour...)

next day i had to watch a three hour video covering every aspect of the thai road rules, which i had previously read in english thanks to a link here on tv. the video language was thai with chinese sub - titles. i don't know chinese, or thai.

lunch break

1pm, another 30 minutes talk and than out to the test rack were i had to perform some very easy tasks like reversing my car into a defined area - i could have fitted a 13 ton tipper truck into that space. passed.

next day

9 am, e - exam, had to surrender my australian licence, got asked 50 questions in english (or the thai interpretation of that language) by a computer type gadget, had to get 45 right and failed. some things i did not know, other were asked in an ambiguous way for which i was not switched on enough to get it.

smartened up a bit, came back at 1 pm, same test, some different questions, some the same, passed. (puuuh).

got my oz license back, went downstairs, paid thb 315, had my photo taken, had to slump down to fit just like at the hairdressers (i am 190cm or 6' 3" tall), everyone always thinks that that is really funny, and walked out a 3 minutes later with my little plastic card.

facit: if you like doing things the hard way, come up and pay us a visit!

Edited by manfredtillmann

I was at immigration today extending my tourist visa and was given a residence letter by the lady in charge of Pathumthani immigration for a 500b no receipt fee.

No problem.

Do I also need a medical certificate?

I read here that Andy Tyler had a medical certificate.

Is that required to get a 2 year temporary Thai drivers license.

I was at immigration today extending my tourist visa and was given a residence letter by the lady in charge of Pathumthani immigration for a 500b no receipt fee.

No problem.

yes, you do.

see list in post #7, that's what i needed, anyway.

others seem to get away with nothing. ask your local ltd what's required.

No problem.

yes, you do.

Who the heck is Andy Tyler?

God damn spell check.

It should have read andytyl.

I just checked with my gf and she confirmed I needed a medical certificate, but forgot to tell me.

Duh...

Thanks

Edited by Rayk

Kawasaki - if you're referring to me as the OP - I like to restrict my visit to IMM to once a year, and I think it takes 2-3 weeks to be mailed out once the application form is completed. It was a consideration, however, but my medical cert is valid for a month for the DL application.

Apologies my mistake I guess l just remember from past posts people going to IMM and paying some money some not having pay and getting confirmation of address same day.

No problem.

yes, you do.

Who the heck is Andy Tyler?

God damn spell check.

It should have read andytyl.

I just checked with my gf and she confirmed I needed a medical certificate, but forgot to tell me.

Duh...

Thanks

Ronnie Pickerings Cousin.

Just want to provide anyone who needs information regarding applying for a Thai Driver's Licence, based on my experience yesterday.

I have a UK DL and live in Thailand on an Extension of Stay based on Retirement.

Having obtained my Certificate of Residency from the British Embassy yesterday morning, I took a taxi to the Dept of Land Transport in Chatuchak. Quite congested within the area, and I was not sure which building I needed to enter for the operation; there are several. Went to Building 3, but was told it should be Building 5, (I think - all signage is in Thai). 2nd Floor. Queued at "Information", and handed over:

Passport (and copies of info page, Extension of Stay page, TM. Arrival card)

UK Driving Licence (and copies of front and back)

Medical Certificate

Certificate of Residency

(Required to sign and provide Tel No)

Given receipt and Q number and told to go to counter 18.

Waited less than 5 minutes

Documents processed within 10 minutes and given another receipt plus my passport

and told to go to 3/F for physical test, obtaining Q number and waiting for about 5 minutes in the hall with a Thai & then barely audible English version on TV loop of what the test would entail:

1) calling out colours of traffic lights from a distance of about 10 metres

2) co-ordination test - aligning a mechanised stick

3) acceleration/brake test

4) peripheral vision test

1)-4) all with very antiquated machinery akin to an ancient tractor, but doable once I understood the instruction.

Passed, and was told to report back to first Information desk on 2/F with pass slip. Given another Q number and was told to return to counter 18.

It was 11.45. Two people in front of me.

Seen around 11.50-55. Photographed, and paid fee THB305. Handed new (Temporary) Licence valid for 2 years.

All at DLT completed with the hour. (Lunch hour is 12.00-13.00 and it closes, so it was a JIT operation).

No forms need to be completed (Thai Application Form), or photos provided, as previously, and the licence is, as I say now valid for 2 rather than 1 year.

Dept Land Transport is a bit of a dump, but it certainly worked quite effectively.