New speed test by Netflix.

sniffdog

Very minimalistic.

I am redirected to:

https://fast.com/de/

de for Germany, just because my language setting in the browser is German???

A whopping 24 MBit/s on ToT fibre.

The whole thing is just another "repackaging" of the doubtful "OOKLA" speedtest.

As much as like the number, as much I doubt it.

Also there is "compare via speedtest.net" (in German) which results in 28 Mbit/s for the recommended server in Frankfurt?

12 ms ping cheesy.gif

9 ms in a second run. Must be from Khon Kaen biggrin.png

Sorry but to the bin for me.

All that results come from some Bangkok servers (cached or what).

No idea whether this is the intention of this test.

If so it is of no additional/new value.

Edited by KhunBENQ

As KhunBENZ said It does seem just to be a repackaged/scaled down version of speedtest.net kinda like a the Mini Speedtest that only gives download speed. As Speedtest.net is an OOKLA/flashbased speedtester I take its results with a BIG grain of salt since they seem to be many time easily fooled by local cache servers.

It's local cache servers of your ISP; not Netflix. That's the purpose of local "cache" servers to cache prevoius viewed data and speedtest testing files are subject to that. But caching streaming/live content is not.

It's local cache servers of your ISP; not Netflix. That's the purpose of local "cache" servers to cache prevoius viewed data and speedtest testing files are subject to that. But caching streaming/live content is not.

PIB , do I interpret you correctly that a download of 200MB via testmy.net/results is streaming or not?

If yes, my 17Mbps , although very erratic, should be ok?

Testmy.net uses "random" generated data to avoid the caching problem...every test file is different...really nothing to cache.

Also keep in mind speedtesters use their own algorithm to determine the final results...like averaging slow and fast periods during the test, throwing out extreme lows and highs, etc.

You could get great speedtest results but wonder why your video streaming sucks. That's probably being caused by inconsistent/unsmooth data flows (very brief low speed periods that speedtest results will discount to a degree). Or the live streaming is not multithreaded but the speedtesters tests uses multithread testing like download managers use to give increased download speed of static files.

Check out Testmy.net where it talks single and multithreading in testing your Internet plan.

Below is what Netflix is logging regarding ISP streaming bitrate/speed from its servers to ISP providers in Thailand. AIS Fiber has the highest rating; True Broadband the lowest...how True Internet is also listed in the middle of pack. Now sure how those two different True listings are different...probably just name changes True has made. But the AIS rating only includes its high speed Fiber plans where True's ratings include its Fiber, Cable, DSL, and Wireless plans. I expect if True's speed index was based only on it's Fiber and Cable plans it would be up at the top somewhere...maybe number one. Also TripleT and 3BB are one in the same I think...TripleT the old name I think? Maybe it just NetFlix reflecting the names as reflected by the ISP and some ISPs have been changing names.

Seems NetFlix is logging around 3Mb streaming speed to Thai ISPs....but if you check say the U.S. ISP ranking/speed the U.S. ISPs are around 3Mb also. This is because NetFlix controls the bitrate/streaming speed. A person can have a 100Mb plan but that don't mean he'll stream at 100Mb because NetFlix will throttle the stream to what is needed which seems to be in the 3Mb ballpark.

So if you have a plan that gives you steady international live streaming in the 3Mb ballpark you should be good to go...your NetFlix streaming on a low speed plan would work just as good as a person with a high speed plan if you can get that ballpark 3Mb international streaming speed.

NetFlix Speed Index for Thailand (you can change countries at this link to see how other countries rate)

post-55970-0-61145200-1464338149_thumb.j

post-55970-0-96624700-1464338164_thumb.j

Edited by Pib