best thai owned,restaurant/bar c/mai,boonies included

evenstevens

I agree with Oscar2, if people don't like a place they should say so and then move on. The power of social media to make or break a business, based on comments made by people who have only used its services once or twice, and/or aren't really qualified to understand whether a thing is good, bad or indifferent, is way too high, often a tool of competitive business to destroy competition or to settle the petty quarrels/complaints of often riff raff customers.

If the food is no good, I won't have gone there twice.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know the name of the place, but when I get a craving for Southern Thai food, this is my go to place. I believe this is a locals top pick. Always busy, especially around lunch time. Never seen a ferang there in all my visits...maybe too spicy for most. Its on the Canal Rd, near the stretch where they sell strawberrys when in season. I prefer to go for a late breakfast around 9.30am when most of the stuff is just being prepared.

No English anywhere but has all the classics. Just look and point. Dirt cheap, super smiley service. The kua kling is spot on, tumeric fried chicken, or fish makes a nice change. My personal favourite is the pork rib curry infused with tumeric and galangal. If you like southern spicy, well worth a try.

Sounds good can you please be a little more precise with directions as I am not familiar with the area.

Thanks

Don't know the name of the place, but when I get a craving for Southern Thai food, this is my go to place. I believe this is a locals top pick. Always busy, especially around lunch time. Never seen a ferang there in all my visits...maybe too spicy for most. Its on the Canal Rd, near the stretch where they sell strawberrys when in season. I prefer to go for a late breakfast around 9.30am when most of the stuff is just being prepared.

No English anywhere but has all the classics. Just look and point. Dirt cheap, super smiley service. The kua kling is spot on, tumeric fried chicken, or fish makes a nice change. My personal favourite is the pork rib curry infused with tumeric and galangal. If you like southern spicy, well worth a try.

Sounds good can you please be a little more precise with directions as I am not familiar with the area.

Thanks

Think it's called ปักษ์ใต้พัทลุง

Try putting this into Google maps search

It's a few km north of niman on the canal road but not as far as the convention centre. It's on the south bound side.

We finally went to a pizza restaurant on the Maejo Mae Rim road, not good.

We were the only people there despite the place being open for many years.

Great service, nice people, very good chewy pizza crust, inexpensive, BUT, poor sauce and not enough of it, almost not seasoning and flavour, even poorer quality cheese and meat topping whose smell announced the pizza's arrival thirty seconds before it reached the table. On my pizza quality scale the place gets 5/10 at best which compared to the MR Plaza debacle at 3/10.

Mrs CM who is an excellent cook and makes superb pizza asks, why is it so hard for these guys to get it right, small changes would make it an 8 or 9/10 easily possible!

My partners major complaint their meal was that the food appeared to be old. Sorry guys, I had great hopes for this place and the pictures looked great but the experience was not good.

Pizza place on Maejoe Mae Rim Road? Did it have a name? Where on that road is it, East or West of the Ping River, North or South side of the road?

Great service, nice people, very good chewy pizza crust, inexpensive, BUT, poor sauce and not enough of it, almost not seasoning and flavour, even poorer quality cheese and meat topping whose smell announced the pizza's arrival thirty seconds before it reached the table. On my pizza quality scale the place gets 5/10 at best which compared to the MR Plaza debacle at 3/10.

Mrs CM who is an excellent cook and makes superb pizza asks, why is it so hard for these guys to get it right, small changes would make it an 8 or 9/10 easily possible!

My partners major complaint their meal was that the food appeared to be old. Sorry guys, I had great hopes for this place and the pictures looked great but the experience was not good.

Pizza place on Maejoe Mae Rim Road? Did it have a name? Where on that road is it, East or West of the Ping River, North or South side of the road?

As mentioned earlier, I shall not name and shame, it has however already been referenced recently.

As mentioned earlier, I shall not name and shame, it has however already been referenced recently.

I travel the Maejoe Mae Rim road often and live in the area but a Pizza restaurant on that road is a real unknown. Are you sure you are not referring to the Chiang Mai Maejoe road?

I travel the Maejoe Mae Rim road often and live in the area but a Pizza restaurant on that road is a real unknown. Are you sure you are not referring to the Chiang Mai Maejoe road?

I'm sorry, my mistake, yes indeed it's the CM/MJ road.

What is your ?/10 score for pizza at Casa Antonio and Dukes ?

What is your ?/10 score for pizza at Casa Antonio and Dukes ?

I don't know Casa Antonio.

Dukes pizza gets 8/10 with 8.5/10 at times, based on the branch and depending who makes it.

Arcobaleno gets a decent score on pizza also, it's Italian style rather than American style pizza but the quality is often very good, 7.5/10.

My gold standard for American style deep dish pizza is Buddy's and/or Shields pizza in Detroit, it's pizza that's as perfect as it can be, everything gets scored against that.

Plz. No more talking about any restaurant in Detroit, or any other USA city.

Lest you have not looked lately, we live in Thailand and we eat in Thailand.

Indeed, and whilst I am a native Brit. who has lived in Thailand for over thirteen years, I have also lived in many other countries, each for many years at a time. As such I can confirm that the measure of the quality of many things, not just pizza alone, is often best gauged against personal gold standards, regardless of the country in which they might be found or the year in which they were found. And using old English terms does nothing to improve the quality of such reviews, the standards upon which they are based nor their criticisms, lest you should not agree!

Pshaw. So called 'golden food standards' are usually met when the diner is a youngster and has simple primitive tastes. Just as if you ask anyone, and i mean any person on the globe, which language is best, the answer will always be the same. 'The language mother taught me'. How can some folks eat what they do, claim is it good, even the best food, but other folks find it disgusting? Cultural habits, my boy, and nothing else.

I'm discounting hygiene in this discussion as some food is certainly prepared in a dirty boorish fashion and that is mostly due to ignorance and poverty.

Pshaw. So called 'golden food standards' are usually met when the diner is a youngster and has simple primitive tastes. Just as if you ask anyone, and i mean any person on the globe, which language is best, the answer will always be the same. 'The language mother taught me'. How can some folks eat what they do, claim is it good, even the best food, but other folks find it disgusting? Cultural habits, my boy, and nothing else.

I'm discounting hygiene in this discussion as some food is certainly prepared in a dirty boorish fashion and that is mostly due to ignorance and poverty.

Yawn, and many of us are grown up, have higher standards and advanced good taste!

Now stop trolling, contribute usefully to the theme or go away.

Dukes pizza gets 8/10 with 8.5/10 at times, based on the branch and depending who makes it.

I had a pizza at the Dukes (by the river) earlier this month, easily a 3/10.

Service was poor, a very long time for them to give me a menu, followed by a long time to take my order, then it took ages to bring the food.

Strange as there was hardly anyone there.

And the pizza, dreadful, spicy chicken, but with hardly any chicken on top.

Never again, once was enough.

Edited by MissAndry

Slow periods are notorious for slow service in restaurants globally as the staff isn't "on" or tuned in.

Similar to walking up to an street stall that has no customers, could take minuets to be acknowledged.

Statement: "more interested in thai places? pizza is pizza. "

Pizza actually is pizza, what a keen observation! And this thread is about Thai OWNED restaurants, whatever they are serving.

Mama Mia, on the CM/MJ road makes a fine pie, now compared to that little shop in Rome, oh wait this is the Chiang Mai forum.

Service was poor, a very long time for them to give me a menu, followed by a long time to take my order, then it took ages to bring the food.

That's funny. We don't do a spicy chicken. If it looks like a troll, acts like a troll and, sniff, sniff, smells like a troll..it's probably a troll. Funny stuff though.

That's funny. We don't do a spicy chicken. If it looks like a troll, acts like a troll and, sniff, sniff, smells like a troll..it's probably a troll. Funny stuff though.

Or a (very) senior moment.

Slow periods are notorious for slow service in restaurants globally as the staff isn't "on" or tuned in.

Similar to walking up to an street stall that has no customers, could take minuets to be acknowledged.

Statement: "more interested in thai places? pizza is pizza. "

Pizza actually is pizza, what a keen observation! And this thread is about Thai OWNED restaurants, whatever they are serving.

Mama Mia, on the CM/MJ road makes a fine pie, now compared to that little shop in Rome, oh wait this is the Chiang Mai forum.

Sorry, my mistake I didn't realise Dukes was a Thai owned place. Bit difficult to know whether an establishment is Thai owned or not for me.

OK, I might have got the name wrong.

Some sort of hot chicken topping, only there wasn't much of it.

No point in memorizing the menu of some place I'll never visit again.

Next time a restaurant does a total fail, I'll take a photo and publish it on social media, so they can't call me a liar.

Edited by MissAndry

OK, I might have got the name wrong.

Some sort of hot chicken topping, only there wasn't much of it.

No point in memorizing the menu of some place I'll never visit again.

Next time a restaurant does a total fail, I'll take a photo and publish it on social media, so they can't call me a liar.

Perhaps one of these?

post-402-0-12405600-1466907902_thumb.jpg

same troll...different username this week.

same troll...different username this week.

Yes, I thought I could see similarities, too bad the Mods can't.

I've concluded that in CM, "understaffing" is rarely a problem. The problem is "overstaffing," with lazy, clueless, malcontents. If they would keep the better half of the staff, and put some useful rules in place; they will stand a better chance of survival. Filthy restroom; five employees sitting on their rumps....someone gets fired. No beer on ice or cooler not full, 8 employees on smartphones; someone gets fired. Dirty hands,; fired. habitually late; fired. Glasses not clean; fired.

I've concluded that in CM, "understaffing" is rarely a problem. The problem is "overstaffing," with lazy, clueless, malcontents. If they would keep the better half of the staff, and put some useful rules in place; they will stand a better chance of survival. Filthy restroom; five employees sitting on their rumps....someone gets fired. No beer on ice or cooler not full, 8 employees on smartphones; someone gets fired. Dirty hands,; fired. habitually late; fired. Glasses not clean; fired.

You mean management doesn't refer to managing to keep the employees happy??