best thai owned,restaurant/bar c/mai,boonies included

evenstevens

a very nice gentle nudgesmile.png from Commander In Chief Of the C/E/C, has prompted E/S to start this threadbiggrin.png

to kick the ball rolling

my top 4 in any order are

Steak Of The Day, And Let It Be, Maerim Plaza

Hot Chilli walking street market

Khualek Cafe/Restaruant next to The Old Bridge , opp rimpings

and directlly across the river from The River Market at, half the price,or less

outdoor seating , right on the river,s edge,sensational at sunset

no promotion at all ,or comission, received on the above. just dinky di recomendations

have your say , Too , Fire Away biggrin.png

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mai Tri in Lamphun, on the road going to the Industrial Park. (close enough to Chiang Mai for me.... sorry if it is out of the boonies boundary)

Lanna Rice Barn in Saraphi

Huen Jai Yong on the road to Mae On, near the Sankhamphaeng junction.

Just quick thoughts... Of course there are many more.

Edited by hml367

Khaosoi Inthanon at Kad Farang ... close to Rimping and My Vietnamese.

Thom is fluent in English and the food excellent, dishes from 99Bt

I will second that!!!

Also, Café de Candle behind New Concept Condominium off the Hang Dong Road.

I think Let it be will overtake SoTD....Ray needs to come up with a gimmick or change his menu (be it the blackboard menu or set menu).

Falangs and Thais are tired of TSOSDD (The Same Old <deleted> Different Day).

Don't get me wrong, Ray is a good guy but as a chef he needs to maintain his enthusiasm and create new dishes.

Keep his patrons intrigued...

I'm confused.

Are you saying that Khaosoi Inthanon doesn't have khao soi on the menu, or are you saying that they charge ninety-nine baht (or more!) for khao soi?

Both sound improbable......

While Kaad Farang seems to be discussed..... Som Tum Udon at Kad Farang is good.

Pet Doi Ngaam on Mahidol is good if you like spicy Thai food. I suppose you could ask for not as spicy.

I'm confused.

Are you saying that Khaosoi Inthanon doesn't have khao soi on the menu, or are you saying that they charge ninety-nine baht (or more!) for khao soi?

Both sound improbable......

Khaosoi Inthanon dishes start at 99bt and in fact very few are over 150bt. For a full service air-con room with pleasant staff I don't think you'd be disappointed. The menu is a mix of northern Thai and Isaan plus a few westernised dishes to suit any taste. Roast chicken in lemon grass is to die for! Khao soi is on the menu although I cannot recall the price as it has never appealed to me.

O.K. since the boonies are included, that would be Bangkok. most food here (including Thai food) is just not very good.

Steak of the Day which is excellent, is a rare exception.

Most Thai dishes are so basic that any restaurant can successfully prepare them.

However, there is a restaurant in a condominium complex I know of that does very good work. I can't mention the name because of defamation regulations.

Another restaurant is Thai-fusion that I think serves quite good food, more akin to cuisine, and is located in two of the big malls here. Again, I can't say the name because any positive or negative comments (my opinion) could be construed as defaming statements.

If you use your child-spirit amulet, it will allow you to understand the way to these places.

Two others that I am advised I can name are the Thai-owned KFC and Burger King. The KFC Twister (registered trademark) is really quite nice. Burger King has a good basic burger.

Oh, and the Thai-owned Black Canyon Coffee has pretty good radna talay.

Most Thai dishes are so basic that any restaurant can successfully prepare them.

However, there is a restaurant in a condominium complex I know of that does very good work. I can't mention the name because of defamation regulations.

Another restaurant is Thai-fusion that I think serves quite good food, more akin to cuisine, and is located in two of the big malls here. Again, I can't say the name because any positive or negative comments (my opinion) could be construed as defaming statements.

If you use your child-spirit amulet, it will allow you to understand the way to these places.

Two others that I am advised I can name are the Thai-owned KFC and Burger King. The KFC Twister (registered trademark) is really quite nice. Burger King has a good basic burger.

Defamation, could be saying too many negative things about the restaurant.

You can say as many good things as you like about the place

You can mention the name of the restaurant and the location.

I'm sure there are many people will give it a go, if they know where it is

I'm sure the owner would be very grateful. thumbsup.gif

Okay it is Japanese food not Thai but a friend took us to Tengoku way out in the middle of nowhere, in Mae On. Access was so bad I wasn’t expecting much but the setting and food were both amazing. I believe they said they would reopen next year after some major renovations and additions. Unfortunately we got there a little late for photos but the sashimi was unbelievable.

You must really like dog food.

Torifuku Fried Chicken - best fried chicken in Chiang Mai smile.png

happened to be around the corner this evening and decided to try the place. very nice, new and clean... the best? i don't think so, but it was a nice change. the spicy chili was very good while the teriyaki was bland. the salad with miso sauce was excellent. pickled veggies also very good. priced a little high but not too bad. i would go again.

Torifuku Fried Chicken - best fried chicken in Chiang Mai smile.png

happened to be around the corner this evening and decided to try the place. very nice, new and clean... the best? i don't think so, but it was a nice change. the spicy chili was very good while the teriyaki was bland. the salad with miso sauce was excellent. pickled veggies also very good. priced a little high but not too bad. i would go again.

I'm happy to try somewhere new (to me) that's good - where do you recommend?

Musashi in Nimman

Namtons

I've not found a good Thai restaurant here yet

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

If you mean Thai restaurants similar to those in England that serve Europeanised type Thai food, that is basically poshed up Thai food, there isn`t any in Chiang Mai. It`s all very standard to me, doesn`t matter which Thai cafe or restaurant you eat at.

There used to be a Thai fish restaurant down by the river somewhere called the Nang Nuan Fish Restaurant, I think? All the rich Thais or the Thais wanting to appear rich to impress their families and friends used to eat there. It was ultra expensive but the Thai food was out of this world, the best I`ve ever eaten anywhere. The restaurant closed down long ago but don`t know if it has reopened anywhere else?

Me and my girlfriend used to dine at the Wang Tan restaurant on the Ban Wang Tan estate off the Hang Dong Road on occasions. Great at first then that went down hill after a while and haven`t been there for a long time either.

There's a little place on the corner of Nimman at the turn off for Starbucks opposite the expensive foreign beer place,it has a great little terrace outside isn't expensive with great Thai dishes and one of those places they're genuinely happy when you give them a 20-30 baht tip,maybe someone could help me out with the name?

Black Canyon someone mentioned I LOVE that place,been in Huay Keow and I think there's another couple in Chiang Mai but it might be
Blue Cup the cafe franchise of it.Been to it on the 7th floor of Siam Paragon and in Central Udon Thani plus at Suvarnabhumi Airport.Can't get enough of this wonderful restaurant chain and oh yeh,there's one in Kuta,Bali! laugh.png

Garden Restaurant/Oriental Garden on Loi Kroh is one of my favourite no-frills places in Chiang Mai also,whole fish in sweet chilli sauce,cheap cold,big bottles of Singha and Tiger sit on the terrace outside and watch the world go by.Decent Tom Yam but the Kaprao Gai is unfortunately done with chicken slices not mince but apart from that it's all good value home cooking! biggrin.png

Musashi in Nimman

Namtons

I've not found a good Thai restaurant here yet

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

If you mean Thai restaurants similar to those in England that serve Europeanised type Thai food, that is basically poshed up Thai food, there isn`t any in Chiang Mai. It`s all very standard to me, doesn`t matter which Thai cafe or restaurant you eat at.

There used to be a Thai fish restaurant down by the river somewhere called the Nang Nuan Fish Restaurant, I think? All the rich Thais or the Thais wanting to appear rich to impress their families and friends used to eat there. It was ultra expensive but the Thai food was out of this world, the best I`ve ever eaten anywhere. The restaurant closed down long ago but don`t know if it has reopened anywhere else?

Me and my girlfriend used to dine at the Wang Tan restaurant on the Ban Wang Tan estate off the Hang Dong Road on occasions. Great at first then that went down hill after a while and haven`t been there for a long time either.

I've never eaten Thai food outside of Thailand so I don't know what it's like in Farangland.

However, I do know when a chef has bothered to use good ingredients and cared about what he has prepared.

I'm also not saying that there are no good restaurants in Chiang Mai, just that I've yet to eat at one that I would rave about.

1 - Ogaju

2 - Arcobaleno

3 - Hinlay

4 - Dhara Devi

My number 3 spot would have been Phillipe's "salad" restaurant at Mae Rim Plaza but it's now sadly closed due to ill health, he's an excellent chef.

Another good choice is the Holiday Inn buffet on Mondays 9which seems more extensive and fresher than the rest of the week, excellent value, good range of choices and inexpensive.

Okaju is pretty good, popular with Thai's, and servings generous. Sort of a Thai version of The Dukes but their fast cooked ribs are no match... salads are good.

Hello Solao on Canal Road is very good although some dishes are too spicy and/or sweet.

Khaosoi Inthanon is our newest favourite and with USA sister restaurants the menu is slightly westernised.

Okaju is pretty good, popular with Thai's, and servings generous. Sort of a Thai version of The Dukes but their fast cooked ribs are no match... salads are good.

Hello Solao on Canal Road is very good although some dishes are too spicy and/or sweet.

Khaosoi Inthanon is our newest favourite and with USA sister restaurants the menu is slightly westernised.

Totally agree about the ribs, fruit salads, ceaser's, and fish are excellent however.

Okay it is Japanese food not Thai but a friend took us to Tengoku way out in the middle of nowhere, in Mae On. Access was so bad I wasn’t expecting much but the setting and food were both amazing. I believe they said they would reopen next year after some major renovations and additions. Unfortunately we got there a little late for photos but the sashimi was unbelievable.

There's a Tengoku in town at Nimman too, though sadly the NY Deli that was attached to it has now all but gone.

Totally agree about the ribs, fruit salads, ceaser's, and fish are excellent however.

Been to Ohkajhu several times and what we have ordered has always been fast & good.Have seen plates of those ribs floating by reminding me of The Flintstones! .....seems everything coming out of their kitchen is 'generous' in portion.

Pork chop was excellent ..... just happen to be going there tonight to try the ribs.