Fines On the Way for Smokers Caught in Public

geovalin

Khmer Times/Ros Chanveasna

In an effort to improve public health and cut Cambodia’s rates of second-hand smoke, the Ministry of Health said it would impose a $5 penalty on any individual caught smoking in an office or public place, according to a prakas, or official announcement, issued last Wednesday. The ministry will also require those who oversee workplaces or public places to install no smoking signs in high visibility spots such as entrances to facilities and near restrooms.

More than three months ago, the government issued a sub-decree banning smoking at work and in public areas, but up until now the legislation has been toothless. Dr. Mom Kong, executive director of the Cambodian Movement for Health (CMH), said he welcomed the move to fine smokers and added that every year, Cambodia racks up about 10,000 tobacco-related deaths, 90 percent of which are caused by lung cancer.

“We estimate that there are about one million people who are smoking cigarettes,” Dr. Kong said. “And another half million who use chewing tobacco in Cambodia.” Up to 60 percent of Cambodians are affected by second-hand smoke every year, according to a Ministry of Planning report – a rate higher than that of any other Asean country. Second-hand smoke inhalation is most likely to occur in restaurants and cafes, the study found.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/25240/fines-on-the-way-for-smokers-caught-in-public/

Wow. $5. Nobody is going to want to smoke now. I know alot of smokers will argue with me on this one, but I consider smoking to be an extraordinary lack of self discipline, and if that is the case, how are they going to encourage someone to give up a filthy habit, or curtail their habit, with a $5 fine?

Men act like men. Children do silly, childish things like passing these laws, and prove they are not real men, with the sheer folly of their actions.

Congratulations on a failure to understand whom this legislation is aimed at. It's not aimed at barang tourists chuffing away in bars. It's aimed at Khmer who are the largest group of smokers in Cambodia; $5 for a Khmer is a large sum of money. It's equivalent to a $100-$200 fine in a Western nation and more than enough to make Khmer think twice about sparking up in a hospital or a school.

Congratulations on a failure to understand whom this legislation is aimed at. It's not aimed at barang tourists chuffing away in bars. It's aimed at Khmer who are the largest group of smokers in Cambodia; $5 for a Khmer is a large sum of money. It's equivalent to a $100-$200 fine in a Western nation and more than enough to make Khmer think twice about sparking up in a hospital or a school.

Congratulations on a failure to understand addiction. Most addicts ignore all the fatal health warnings and pictures, so most will surely ignore any fine!

As economies retreat, addicts will smoke, drink and do drugs before the money runs out and then will barter and steal to fill the addiction.

Some of the best barter items are cigarettes, and alcohol!

As economies get worse worldwide, the addict's addiction increases from stress.

A fine is the last thing on most of their minds.

For some, even food!

The smoking restriction for bars and restaurants in Thailand are a joke. I hate smokers with a passion. Because their second hand smoke is dangerous to others and they could care less. I stopped eating at restaurants that allows smoking inside the premises. One of my favorite restaurants on soi 8 in Bangkok, Viva Tappas, allows inside smoking. So non-smokers beware.

It will go the same way as the much heralded 2000 baht fine for smoking in bars and restaurants in Thailand ...... now mostly ignored and unenforced.

Deleted post. Sorry, just noticed this is for Cambodia.

It will go the same way as the much heralded 2000 baht fine for smoking in bars and restaurants in Thailand ...... now mostly ignored and unenforced.

Deleted post. Sorry, just noticed this is for Cambodia.

We all make mistakes this is the hub of unenforced laws.

The hardest day of my life was when I was 11 years old, my father went out to buy a packet of cigarettes and never came back.
That was many years ago---but sometimes I still get very bitter just thinking about him........out there walking around .......with my cigarettes ....................coffee1.gif

Wow. $5. Nobody is going to want to smoke now. I know alot of smokers will argue with me on this one, but I consider smoking to be an extraordinary lack of self discipline, and if that is the case, how are they going to encourage someone to give up a filthy habit, or curtail their habit, with a $5 fine?

Men act like men. Children do silly, childish things like passing these laws, and prove they are not real men, with the sheer folly of their actions.

A working class Khmer probably doesn't make a lot more than $5.00 a day, certainly those in the lower socioeconomic strata, and that's predominantly where the smokers are. Even if it's half a day's pay, it's the equivalent of several hundred $$ in many countries.

Developing countries like Cambodia are the last stronghold of tobacco companies, and Cambodia has massive billboards with Alain Delon advertising cigarettes, so a lot of people think if he does it, it must be sophisticated and sexy. Dumb thinking, but 90% of most populations are damned dumb.

Congratulations on a failure to understand addiction. Most addicts ignore all the fatal health warnings and pictures, so most will surely ignore any fine!

As economies retreat, addicts will smoke, drink and do drugs before the money runs out and then will barter and steal to fill the addiction.

Some of the best barter items are cigarettes, and alcohol!

As economies get worse worldwide, the addict's addiction increases from stress.

A fine is the last thing on most of their minds.

For some, even food!

How's the view from your planet?

Down here on earth - in countries that enforce no smoking fines; people don't smoke in colleges and hospitals and schools, etc.

Your rabid views on smoking aside; facts are facts and quite useful when you're debating something. Try it some time, you might even like it.

I'm so surprised more smokers haven't switched to vaping. Vaping is 95% safer than smoking. There is no smell, no passive vaping, no harmful chemicals and it's cheaper.

has there not been legislation to curtail that also

E-cigarettes are banned outright in Cambodia. They're not impossible to buy there but they are challenging to buy. The majority of poor Khmer have never even heard of them.

It's also worth noting that as real evidence starts to build on e-cigarettes - the data isn't quite as positive as the manufacturers would have us believe.

True pure tobacco is healthy.

e-cig is a business joke, inhale poisons in solvents...

Cambodia is an open air country, so not much problem about second hand smoke.

But finally I can accept administrations, bus stations and places my smoke will bother others can be banned, but please not like USA EU or Thailand.

Archived