Successfully opened bank account on SETV

Today I opened a Bangkok bank account on a tourist visa. I had to bring a Thai with me who had to fill out a one page form saying they know me.

The only ID I had was a passport.

I am not American, but it appears there is significantly more paperwork and perhaps other requirment if you are.

The whole process took 10 minutes.

1) Which branch?

2) what type of account?

3) what address did you use? (ie do you rent a condo or hotel address?)

Ban pong.. an hour outside bangkok.

Savings account i think.

Used TGF's address as they send internet banking PIN there. Dont think they would care about hotel as address.

1) Which branch?

2) what type of account?

Savings account i think.

Used TGF's address as they send internet banking PIN there. Dont think they would care about hotel as address.

They would care if your address was a hotel room lol

I opened one a long time ago from a hotel but they did ask a letter from the owner/manager to prove I resided there at the time...

1) Which branch?

2) what type of account?

Savings account i think.

I opened one a long time ago from a hotel but they did ask a letter from the owner/manager to prove I resided there at the time...

How would they know it is a hotel? Just put the address of the hotel and the room number..

The document the TGF had to sign asked if i was a friend socially, from work, or if we lived with each other.

It is the same form though..

1) Which branch?

2) what type of account?

Savings account i think.

How would they know it is a hotel? Just put the address of the hotel and the room number..

The document the TGF had to sign asked if i was a friend socially, from work, or if we lived with each other.

It is the same form though..

I don't think all banks follow procedures properly but they are supposed to ascertain that you live there and take a proof of address, this maybe in the form of a rent or lease agreement,utility bill or notarized letter from yr embassy.....

Come to think of it they haven't asked me for any of that crap lately either lol

Maybe international banking laws are getting more lax... But I doubt it

Good to read that there are branches that know how to handle foreigners.

Your report shows that you even got internet access although the officially published rules sound like you would not get as a tourist.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

My experiences are quite old.

2009 Kaskorn, Pattaya, 30 day visa exempt, hotel addr, savings account with internet access, zero problems, 20 minutes.

Savings account at Bankok Bank upcountry, with Non O-A visa, wife with me (blue book), home address, zero problems.

Savings account at SCB. Same same.

For both accounts I installed internet banking DIY. It's described on the websites. No postal mail needed.

Good to read that there are branches that know how to handle foreigners.

Your report shows that you even got internet access although the officially published rules sound like you would not get as a tourist.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

My experiences are quite old.

2009 Kaskorn, Pattaya, 30 day visa exempt, hotel addr, savings account with internet access, zero problems, 20 minutes.

Savings account at Bankok Bank upcountry, with Non O-A visa, wife with me (blue book), home address, zero problems.

Savings account at SCB. Same same.

For both accounts I installed internet banking DIY. It's described on the websites. No postal mail needed.

Regarding internet access, after everything was completed and i was out the door i asked about online bamking.. she took me to the ATM where i authenticated. There is a menu option where you can add things. Internet banking is one of them.

The ATM made me enter phone number to verify, then it said the PIN will be mailed to my physical address.

I think that pretty much anyone who has a saving account can get e-banking and the necessary steps are to be done on any ATM.

At least that's how it appears to work at KBANK.

Yes, I opened an account a week or so ago with Kasikorn. No waiting for the PIN to be sent to your address as they gave me the PIN envelope with the card. I went outside and changed my 6 digit PIN. I set up internet banking and registered my debit card there and then for internet banking.

Today I opened a Bangkok bank account on a tourist visa. I had to bring a Thai with me who had to fill out a one page form saying they know me.

The only ID I had was a passport.

I am not American, but it appears there is significantly more paperwork and perhaps other requirment if you are.

The whole process took 10 minutes.

Soi Bukao Pattaya, just passport, I have METV, never asked, adress not asked, I know banks are sharing info, with USA as example Edited by Ireland32