Rice sold on government auctions cannot be delivered because of different qualities

webfact

In a country full of liars, scammers, and crooks, is anyone really surprised?

I find it sad that a people who's lives have revolved around rice for 100s of years, still can't get this right. If there is one thing they should have mastered by now, it's rice, every step of the way, from the seed to your table.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only the govt had the time and resources to audit the rice more thoroughly to show the corruption of the previous undemocrats they might have avoided this situation.

The dark corrupt past keeps rearing its ugly head. I look forward to this rice mess being but a distant memory.

"If only the government had the time and resource's to audit the rice more thoroughly"

Yo, djjamie, heads up big fella, the junta had a audit done on rice stocks as soon as they grabbed power, so 2 years and an ARMY literally behind him, and you come up with this,blink.png

You actually really do take the bloody cake man, seriously...

The last government had rice go bad, you blame Yingluk , This government has rice go bad you blame Yingluk, Pathetic really.

Hers a tip for ya mate, RICE keeps indefinitely, (except brown rice) the challenge is keeping it free from dust moisture insects pests, FACT!!! Look it up, do a little research.

So who is to blame for rice that is now gone bad??? Yeah that would be the people responsible for storage and handling.

So in fact the last government was NOT to blame for rotten rice now was it? but if you insist by what ever you make up in your head, then that would also implicate the current people in charge your hero's the junta and should face the same charges and outcomes as the last government. sauce for the goose mate.

you can't have it both ways much as you last 5 fan boys keep trying...whistling.gif

Edited by aussieinthailand

"She disclosed that the rice stored in some warehouses was different from type put on auction."

"Or in the latest case, we put on auction sticky rice. But the buyers found out they were rotten rice,"...

There simply is no cure for ignorance and stupidity. Poor Thailand.

not sure I get your meaning

It would appear that what is in the warehouses is not what is supposed to be there and there could be a few possible reasons for that, just as well those responsible for putting the rice there are in the dock facing charges

Did the coup leaders not order a full inventory of the stocked rice when they assumed power

' One of his first orders following the May 22 coup was for the authorities to count and audit rice tonnage in the state's stocks and hold off on offloading them to prevent a further price slump.'

http://www.wsj.com/articles/thai-rice-subsidy-leaves-junta-in-a-quandary-1403104286

I believe you would find a great many instances where the PMs orders have not been followed. He possibly assumes that everyone behaves as if they were in the army and allows orders so he doesn't need any checking mechanism. The odd thing to me is that even with a SNAFU of this magnitude, no one in high places, such as agriculture or trade ministers will take responsibility and resign for running departments that simply are not fit for purpose. They will just dump at the little guys who have got so used to sleeping on the job through lax supervision and lack of accountability they are starting to resemble long distance bus drivers!

I think we all get it, but the fact remains. that the government took responsibility when they seized power. They acknowledged their responsibility by ordering an audit. The audit was good enough to use as a basis for a witch-hunt against the regime they illegally seized power from, but not, apparently, good enough to use as the basis for an auction to their rich mates.

This casts a long shadow over the whole claim for damages against YL, we can all see how bogus the monetary claim must be.

So:... Either the audit was done to the standard we have all come to expect from Thais, and was just wrong.

Or: The whole claim of damages against YL and the former government is clearly wrong and cannot be supported by the incompetent audit.

Or: Both.

Not much wriggle-room for the little general really, is there?

Winnie

what it tells me based on your post is that those that are responsible for this debacle are actually getting off lighter than they should and that the damage they caused is in fact considerably worse than estimated so far.

How you can twist this to make it look like the current government are in some way responsible is quite frankly shocking

The current government might well be somewhat responsible for not auditing the current rice stockpiles thoroughly enough but that is hard a crime on the grand scale of things, it could also be argued that the warehouses are in such a poor state that it is almost an impossible task to carry out an effective audit - we are talking about millions of tonnes of sacks of rice that unless each individual one is opened there is no effective way to carry out such an audit, in effect what this does is make the rice completely spoiled and not fit to sell in any standard reliable fashion

An attempt has been made to sell the rice and claw back some money for the country but that now seems to be at considerable risk since the buyers are now entirely satisfied with their purchase for a number of reasons

So were does that leave the estimated loss figure previously released by the government, looks to me like it is grossly underestimated and if this rice in storage is not fit for sale due to the various reasons then that loss figure must be getting close to one trillion baht

Those that think the previous government and others responsible for this should not be punished are quite frankly delusional

Right.

Well, it's a view. It's not my view.

W

not sure I get your meaning

It would appear that what is in the warehouses is not what is supposed to be there and there could be a few possible reasons for that, just as well those responsible for putting the rice there are in the dock facing charges

Did the coup leaders not order a full inventory of the stocked rice when they assumed power

' One of his first orders following the May 22 coup was for the authorities to count and audit rice tonnage in the state's stocks and hold off on offloading them to prevent a further price slump.'

http://www.wsj.com/articles/thai-rice-subsidy-leaves-junta-in-a-quandary-1403104286

I believe you would find a great many instances where the PMs orders have not been followed. He possibly assumes that everyone behaves as if they were in the army and allows orders so he doesn't need any checking mechanism. The odd thing to me is that even with a SNAFU of this magnitude, no one in high places, such as agriculture or trade ministers will take responsibility and resign for running departments that simply are not fit for purpose. They will just dump at the little guys who have got so used to sleeping on the job through lax supervision and lack of accountability they are starting to resemble long distance bus drivers!

"The odd thing to me is that even with a <deleted!> of this magnitude, no one in high places, such as agriculture or trade ministers will take responsibility and resign for running departments that simply are not fit for purpose."

To me this is not odd at all. What would be epically odd would be for anyone to actually take responsibility for their actions.

"The odd thing to me is that even with a <deleted!> of this magnitude, no one in high places, such as agriculture or trade ministers will take responsibility and resign for running departments that simply are not fit for purpose."

To me this is not odd at all. What would be epically odd would be for anyone to actually take responsibility for their actions.

Indeed. Consider the contrast between Thailand and Japan, two of the world's most Buddhist countries.

In Japan, taking responsibility and offering to resign is expected. In Thailand, avoiding responsibility is expected.

Can you imagine, given the failure of this rice auction and the attendant embarrassment, if the current Commerce minister stepped up to a microphone today, apologized to the country, and resigned?

(Now I would say Japan is probably the exception, and government officials in most places show an incredible tenacity for holding on.)

Indeed. Consider the contrast between Thailand and Japan, two of the world's most Buddhist countries.

In Japan, taking responsibility and offering to resign is expected. In Thailand, avoiding responsibility is expected.

Can you imagine, given the failure of this rice auction and the attendant embarrassment, if the current Commerce minister stepped up to a microphone today, apologized to the country, and resigned?

(Now I would say Japan is probably the exception, and government officials in most places show an incredible tenacity for holding on.)

"Can you imagine, given the failure of this rice auction and the attendant embarrassment, if the current Commerce minister stepped up to a microphone today, apologized to the country, and resigned?"

I do have a lively imagination but that's too much even for me!

Quite clearly, this situation is without precedent - the government are trying their best but I don't believe anyone or any company has ever attempted to store and auction off this volume of rice before. The costs of storage alone are mind-boggling. Ultimately, the responsibility has to lie with Yingluck's government. It sounded like a dumb idea in 2011 and it hasn't worked out very well.

^^^

Rice auctions in Thailand occur every year. While the amounts accumulated during the rice scheme were high, the mechanism of an auction has not changed.

This particular auction was flawed; the goods were not as described. How this is Yingluck's fault is beyond me, but my imagination is sometimes constrained by time, space and a fondness for logic.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Not sure but I think this auction was a attempt to sell rice placed in storage during the rice scam. Thus they were not expecting high bids, based on what they had been told the inventories showed. So what they have found is futher porkies have been told and put on record on the contents, condition and even the type of rice in storage.

Just more storage facility owners to add to the long list they presently have started legal procedings against in the attempt to recover what has been stolen or at least the value of stolen rice.

Quite clearly, this situation is without precedent - the government are trying their best but I don't believe anyone or any company has ever attempted to store and auction off this volume of rice before. The costs of storage alone are mind-boggling. Ultimately, the responsibility has to lie with Yingluck's government. It sounded like a dumb idea in 2011 and it hasn't worked out very well.

How is a dumb idea in 2011 responsible for a flawed auction by different people in 2016?

Me no unnerstan.

W

"Can you imagine, given the failure of this rice auction and the attendant embarrassment, if the current Commerce minister stepped up to a microphone today, apologized to the country, and resigned?"

I'd rather see him made personally inspecting all warehouses still used, crawling through piles of sacks of rice, opening quiet a few of them, using the same tools and 'protective' clothing the normal workers there use.

I'd rather see him made personally inspecting all warehouses still used, crawling through piles of sacks of rice, opening quiet a few of them, using the same tools and 'protective' clothing the normal workers there use.

Finally something we agree a 100 % on!

Old jeans, safety flip flops and a broken hacksaw blade? All for ThB7000 a month?

Old jeans, safety flip flops and a broken hacksaw blade? All for ThB7000 a month?

I'm a softy. When the current MoC does all the crawling as described I'm willing to allow him his normal monthly salary thumbsup.gif

Don't make an excuse that its the fault of the previous government. I thought the current one took power becos the previous one was doing too much wrong and they had to make it right n return happiness to the ppl?

So why is this current government making this mistake?